[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a work of literature ever really moved you emotionally?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: coil.jpg (38 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
coil.jpg
38 KB, 894x894
Or something close to it? Having finished Worm, I found myself choking up a few times today. It's been a while since I've read anything really moving.
>>
Stoner
The Brothers Karamazov
Even some of Infinite Jest t b h
>>
Most novels i read move me to emotion at one point or another.

I also cried during Grown Ups 2
>>
Charterhouse of Parma by Stendhal. It did something peculiar to me that I can't quite explain, because I don't even know which part of the text had the effect. It evokes a sense of lucidity and purpose that somehow bleeds into your own life, or rather you identify it with those events or feelings in your life that have been particularly meaningful. Again I don't know how this happens because the story itself is across between political intrigue and romance, with bits of war/action thrown in. The prose is beautiful, but it's not like there are any remarkable passages of metaphor or anything exactly.

There's a little inscription on the back of my book from Balzac that says 'M. Beyle a fait un livre ou le sublime éclate de chapitre en chapitre', and that's about the best description of it I have found.
>>
That last chapter of The Stranger. Made me realise how terrifying it is to confront oblivion and how necessary it is to charge straight into it nevertheless.
>>
>>7865183
>Stoner
>The Brothers Karamazov
>Infinite Jest

You have a really erudite taste in literature mate.
>>
File: 1458125320814.jpg (127 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1458125320814.jpg
127 KB, 600x800
>>7865225
>I only read obscure literature
>>
The Metamorphosis by Kafka more than anything

It was mostly his sister that moved me
>>
>>7865225
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not
>>
Most recently, Under the Volcano really fucking tore me up. I finished it at about midnight and just sat there and stared for several minutes. Crushing.

Every book I've read in recent memory has gotten to me to some degree. Every now and then there are even moving parts of TLoTiaT that somebody snuck in there between sections.
>>
>>7864820

Not really. Nor has any book ever made me "laugh" as some people claim they do. At most some of Pynchon's dumbest jokes have made me chuckle but nothing beyond that. The closest thing I've ever felt to some sort of emotional impact was with the ending of Kafka's The Judgement, one of the most powerfully visceral short stories I've ever read, and I still don't quite fully get it.
>>
>>7865183
Came here to say Stoner
>>
I wept reading Livy. Most notably, after 10 books of buildup over ~600 pages, Scipio and Hannibal finally meeting at Zama had me shaking as I read.

>Scipio and Hannibal each urged their men to prepare both heart and hand for the supreme struggle which, if Fortune smiled, would leave them victorious, not for a day only but for ever. Before the next night they would know whether Rome or Carthage was destined to give laws to the nations, for the prize of victory would be not Italy or Africa but the whole world, while a peril as great as the prize would be theirs whom the fortune of war opposed. To the Romans, in an unknown and foreign land, no way of escape was open; Carthage, her last reserves spent, was threatened with instant destruction.
>>
File: million-dollar-baby348829.jpg (187 KB, 1200x797) Image search: [Google]
million-dollar-baby348829.jpg
187 KB, 1200x797
The short story that "Million Dollar Baby" was adapted from made me tear up pretty bad. I read it during the Ronda Rousey hype era and it just pushed all the right buttons.
>>
>tfw nothing moves me emotionally anymore

where do i go from here?
>>
Absalom, Absalom! really moved me, as well as Cancer Ward. I couldn't read a book for days after those novels, because I kept thinking about what I just read.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.