[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is pic related any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: no-logo1[1].jpg (28 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
no-logo1[1].jpg
28 KB, 640x360
Is pic related any good?
>>
>Naomi Klein
I imagine not
>>
>>7864662
Yes.
>>
>>7864729
wait, just kidding I meant to say "no"
>>
tell atleast why :S
>>
Yes, it's quite good. The only really full, critical examination of branding that I'm aware of. It's also pretty good at exposing some of the strange business practices of businesses like Nike, Wal-Mart and Microsoft. (Did you know that when Wal-Mart opens a new location, they drop their prices to the point where they lose money on that location in order to kill local alternatives, then jack the prices back up once they've driven out competition and secured monopoly power?)

I actually liked this book quite a bit more than The Shock Doctrine, which attempts a more full, holistic critique of capitalism but kind of falls apart under the weight of its attempt.
>>
>>7864837
>Did you know that when Wal-Mart opens a new location, they drop their prices to the point where they lose money on that location in order to kill local alternatives, then jack the prices back up once they've driven out competition and secured monopoly power?
this is the sort of person that praises Naomi Klein
>>
File: 1445798941434.jpg (61 KB, 500x573) Image search: [Google]
1445798941434.jpg
61 KB, 500x573
>>7864662
>Naomi Klein
>good
>>
>>7864841
Is it bad because it was obvious and you already knew it, or bad because it's lame to care about it?
>>
High school intellectual tier, along with chomsky's books. If youre past high school, skip it, just go directly to marx's capital
>>
>>7864864
it's common knowledge at this point
>>
>>7864869
This.
>>
>>7864864
both
>>
>>7864871
It was written in 1999...
>>
she came to speak at our school and got laughed out of the room

not even kidding. she was a hack who couldnt answer the most basic questions and speak coherently about anything other than "c-capitalism is EVIL!!!"
>>
>>7864881
she's the proof that women belong in the kitchen! Next time ask her to make you a sandwich
>>
>>7864891
>>7864881

Hahhahaoa. Well said /b/rothers xd
Kys
>>
>>7864900
You need to take the redpill and see how deep the rabbit hole really goes
>>
>>7864922
You're a big pill
>>
>>7864900
? I just relayed what happened. I wasn't exaggerating when I said she got laughed out of the room. She was scheduled to speak for an hour and cut it off after 30 minutes cause no one took her seriously.
>>
>>7865169
But why, is this woman meme tier in América?
>>
>>7864837
So, this is the only guy that had read the book?
>>
>>7865237
Shes regarded as the stwreotyoical leftist nutjob by old people and tends to get worshipped by college liberals.

I doubt most people have heard of her.
>>
>>7864662
No logo's a shit
>>
>>7865346
yes
>>
>>7864869
So skip them for more high school intellectual tier books huh?
>>
>>7864837
>strange business practices
That sounds like very intelligent business practices actually
>>
>>7866484

I thought that was common knowledge. I'm sure I first heard about that practice ten years ago.

>first published in 1999

I see.
>>
>>7865346
I think the book's lasting value is in how it documents a certain period of organized resistance to globalization and corporatism. It was very provocative when it first appeared, at least as a non-academic book, though she was younger and her ideas were simpler. It's misread as a adbusters-tier whinge against walmart, but it is solid investigative journalism and offers a vaild critique of how the system worked then.

The ideas that she offers in it are now dated, but I still appreciate the passion with which she documents the Reclaim the Streets actions and other similar movements. To respond to the privatisation of the public sphere with productive actions and festival, especially following the violence of Seattle in 1999, is beautiful, I think.

Good read. Opened my eyes when I first read it in 2001.
>>
>>7866484
that's a better adjective than mine to be damn honest
>>
>>7866509
Do you know anything similar but less dated?
>>
>>7866759
Try Joseph Heath.
>>
know of its existence. at this point, is it a comfy read back to the late ninties?
>>
Naomi is a major qt 2bh
>>
>>7866793
thank you anon
>>
>>7864662
what's so wrong about consumerism and capitalism? They have improved the lives of billions of people like no other system in history. Thanks to the huge variety of brands, folks are now able to express themselves and shape their own identities like never before. more people are free to choose their destiny and realise their dreams. Sure, anticapitalists have very valid concerns, but they lack forward looking solutions. We need to empower people and promote growth and entrepreneurship. Things are changing. The growing trend towards ethical consumerism and green branding makes me excited for the future.
>>
>>7866936
ethical consumerism? green branding?
lets not kid ourselves buddy. that stuff is weak.
your average person doesn't give a rat's ass about that because he has his own life's worries to attend to.
>>
>>7866936
>>what's so wrong about consumerism and capitalism? They have improved the lives of billions of people like no other system in history.
this just means feeding the hedonism of the humanity.
then the same people whine that people are hedonistic and want more hedonism
>>
>>7864662
Not on it's own but if you're writing a piece about brands or advertising it's good to mention.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.