[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sincerely, is Albert Camus' work worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Sincerely, is Albert Camus' work worth reading?
>>
yes it is.
Hopefully.
>>
Of course. I don't really like his philosophy but his stuff is worth checking out. Honestly if you have the time its always better to actually read something you have interest in. Unless you just want to be a meme poster like everyone here.
>>
if you're underage.

if you're over the emotional age of 14 you will recognize it for the cliche tripe it is.
>>
>>7864573
Why? Is there any specific reason? What is so special about his work?
>>
>>7864565
The Fall is a great novel, and The Rebel is a decent work of political philosophy.
His other novels are fine and the rest is also okay.
>>
>>7864588
I'm 28 at present, haven't read much books, but have decided to read a lot this year. Starting with Tolstoy's The Cossacks, War and Peace, Anna Karenina, then Joyce's Dubliners, The Portrait of Artist As Young Man and Ulysses, then probably will move to some Pynchon, like, The Crying of Lot 49, gonna skip V and move to Gravity Rainbow and then Manson & Dixon then Camus but not sure about Camus.
>>
>>7864589
WE MUST IMAGINE dAVID fOSTER wALLACE HAPPY
>>
Anyone here read The Myth of Sisyphus?
I'm not sure if I should add it to my Philosophy reading list or not.
>>
>>7864746
It's good. Besides, it's so short there's no reason not to read it.
>>
>>7864746
I read it, what do you want to know? It was a few years ago so I don't remember it that well but you have to read it to fully understand The Stranger (and most of his fiction work I guess).

>>7864589
This is just my opinion and I'm kind of a pleb towards philosophy, but anyway: I think Camus (and Sartre, even if I don't really like Sartre) is one of the writer who gave a meaningful answer to some existential problems, in general, and particularly of the XXth century. If you fear death, if you want to find a meaning for your life, and you're still doubtful to the answers philosophy can already give you (I'm thinking of Plato right now), Camus has an interesting and really powerful way to think about those problems.

Plus, I think his novels have some interesting writing. But maybe it's shit in english. I don't know.
>>
>>7864746
it's balls numbingly stupid. It really doesn't deserve to be called "philosophy" anymore than those little notes on the inside of chocolate wrappers targeted at menopausal women "Treat yourself today!" "You look as fabulous as you feel!" etc.

but as the other guy said it is short, which is all that can be said for it.
>>
>>7864565
No he is potter tier plus is ugly
>>
>>7864565
Camus is a great writer and philosopher. It's not nearly as enjoyable to read his books without a good understanding of existential philosophy though. I'd start with Dostoevsky or Kafka then move onto Sartre, and then you'll be able to thoroughly enjoy Camus' works
>>
>>7864816
LMAO
>>
>>7864746
It's a tad vague. Start with his other books if you'd like to grasp it appropriately enough to be able to actually analyze it.
>>
>>7864823
What was funny about what I suggested? Camus doesn't explain his position as well as he could, which isn't necessarily a criticism, but I think that if you have a better understanding of existential philosophy then Camus is a good read. Otherwise, its just short and jumbled.
>>
>>7864840
nothin man chill chill you're just funny is all
>>
>>7864852
Are you black or latino? Or making fun of them?

That's a serious question.
>>
>>7864868
He's just a douche who doesn't have any of his own developed opinions.
>>
File: 483635303.jpg (100 KB, 478x358) Image search: [Google]
483635303.jpg
100 KB, 478x358
>>7864868
are you still in high school

serious question my nigga

>>7864872
>mfw someone who thinks of Camus as a "Great Philosopher" criticizes someone for not having their own developed opinions
you're hilarious
>>
>>7864878
>maybe if I act arrogant and condescending, people will think I'm smart
Nope, you just seem insecure
>>
>>7864893
He seems pretty smart to me.
t. unbiased observer.
>>
He was just another pretentious French writer who thought his work was so special because he wrote it in French and in a way nobody could understand. Save your time and read something else.
>>
>>7864565
yes
>>
>>7864771
Even if his philospohy would be the equivalent of the stuff which grows on old bread, it doesn't mean his writing sucks. In my opinion, The Plague and The first man are very good works, well written and insightful.
>>
>>7864878
You've yet to state a single opinion of your own, just attached yourself to mine with unnecessary parasitical comments. I'm interested in hearing who you believe to be a "Great Philosopher."
>>
The Stranger is a good way of checking whether you have autism or not.
>>
>>7864941
>You've yet to state a single opinion of your own,
to the contrary I offered my opinion of your opinion.

>I'm interested in hearing who you believe to be a "Great Philosopher."
I will tell you but only if you bump my thread. it's the one with the picture of the nazi general and the Horace poem
>>
>>7864950
Actually the only opinions you've offered were of my impressive humor!!

ha
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.