[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some great bits of literature that involves cats? Everything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: 001493.jpg (252 KB, 1019x1376) Image search: [Google]
001493.jpg
252 KB, 1019x1376
What are some great bits of literature that involves cats? Everything from the house cat (pic related) to tigers (Life of Pi).
I'm revising a large narrative involving felines and I want to work in a few interextual references.

And also because books with cats make me feel all cozy inside.
>>
>>7863416
A Passion in the Desert, from Balzac's The Human Comedy.

It about a French soldier lost in the desert who finds himself sharing a cave with a panther. If memory serves, it heavily implied that the solder wants to fuck the panther, and eventually succeeds symbolically with his dagger.
>>
murakami
>>
It's been a long time since I've read it, but Kafka on the Shore had an interesting paranormal thing going on with cats. Maybe you'll enjoy it.
>>
>>7863416
de lampedusa's the leopard doesnt deal with "leopards" per se, though its the protagonist's crest or something. Borges has a short story on an aztec priest jailed by the spaniards next to a caged jaguar. Cortazar's "bestiary" is another short story which involves a tiger (don't want to spoil it for you though)
>>
>>7863449
also forgot master and margarita by bulgakov, where a cat is a prominent minor character
>>
H.P. Lovecraft loved cats; most of his bizarre dream based stories featured magical cats that lived on the moon and were generally very helpful.
>>
Yvain, the Knight of the Lion, by Chrétien de Troyes.

Basically, a knight want to marry a fair maiden, but she gets fed up with his macho knight bullshi and dumps him. So he gets depressed until he becomes best buds with a lion. Then he and the lion do awesome shit together and save the maiden and they all live happily ever after.
>>
>>7863455
another just came to mind, a little-known work called cat country from a chinese writer. I'm not sure if its actually a good book but its a primitive sci-fi allegory. Also the tiger story in Kipling's "jungle book" and maybe some of his other stories.
>>
>>7863449
The Borges story is called The Writing of the God. You can find it in his collection The Aleph
>>
>>7863416
>cats make me feel all cosy inside
It's the Toxoplasma gondii in your brain, anon
>>
It's for kids, but you could try Jenny by Paul Galico. That was my favourite book when I was 9.
>>
>>7863487
Yes, I am aware of how my cat is maliciously brainwashing me into servitude.
All hail Lord Boots.
Praise him and his glorious coat.
All the is good is also cat.
And on the seventh day, Lord Boots did rest, as he had throughout days one through six...
>>
>>7863490
On a similar note; Beatrix Potter wrote a number on lovely children's stories featuring cats.
Then there's T.S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats.
>>
>>7863511
So she did. I stromngly remember one about a bad kitten who went up the chimney and got stuck. Excellent little stories.
>>
The Warriors books are lovely and often hilarious. You should check out the Wikia. Some of the articles are written from the perspective of the animals and it's... really something.

http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Twoleg
http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/Thunderpath
http://warriors.wikia.com/wiki/StarClan
>>
>>7863416
Baudelaire wrote a few poems about his cats.

Viens, mon beau chat, sur mon coeur amoureux;
Retiens les griffes de ta patte,
Et laisse-moi plonger dans tes beaux yeux,
Mêlés de métal et d'agate.

Lorsque mes doigts caressent à loisir
Ta tête et ton dos élastique,
Et que ma main s'enivre du plaisir
De palper ton corps électrique,

Je vois ma femme en esprit. Son regard,
Comme le tien, aimable bête
Profond et froid, coupe et fend comme un dard,

Et, des pieds jusques à la tête,
Un air subtil, un dangereux parfum
Nagent autour de son corps brun.
>>
File: etvuZKe.jpg (66 KB, 436x423) Image search: [Google]
etvuZKe.jpg
66 KB, 436x423
>>7863455
It's an enchanted jester/page. Bulgakov had a thing for cats. In his "Coбaчьe Cepдцe" (1925) Шapикoв becomes a passionate stray cat exterminator.
>>7863416
"Lebens-Ansichten des Katers Murr" (1819) is a cat Bildungsroman by the German author copypasted much both by Gogol and by Edgar Allen Poe. In "貓城記" (1930) Lao She has a taikonaut discover a 20000 year old civilization of Martian cats. "Pangúr Bán" is a 9th century poem by an Irish monk which compares fair Pangur to a scholar staring at his book.
It may do well, as well, to search for "cat" on sites like "sacred texts".
>>
>>7863416
https://m.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/jubilate-agno-fragment-b-i-will-consider-my-cat-jeoffry
>>
>>7863416
Most things written by Robert Westall. Especially Blitzcat and The Cats of Seroster.
>>
Pangor Ban is a lovely early poem by an Irish monk about a cat, and Jubilate Agno has a very famous section on how his cat is an exemplar of creation.
>>
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by HP Lovecraft
Then obviously the black cat by Poe
>>
Felidae was a huge hit in Germany > 20 years ago (it's a slightly philosophical thriller where a cat tries to solve another cat's death, gets relatively dark)

Hagiwara Sakutoro wrote the wonderful short story/novella City Of Cats, in which the narrator stumbles in the titular city
>>
>>7863435
MOOOODDDSSS
>>
>>7863416
Burroughs was obsessed with cats
>>
>>7864000
Now is the time to self publishing novella about a man's illicit affair with his house cat.
>>
Not literature but the band Current 93 has a cat motif in many aspects of its music
>>
>>7863416
Sanshiro was alright, not very good.
>>
>>7863416
murakami
>>
>>7864052
Bukowski too

>>7863416
Mishima's "Sailor That Fell from Grace..." features a bit of cat action.
>>
>>7863989
>Felidae
+ the author is redpilled ;D
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion-Eating_Poet_in_the_Stone_Den
>>
Much of Murakami.
>>
>>7863416
"Old Possums's Book of Practical Cats". It's a book of poetry about cats by TS Eliot
>>
What is up with nips and cats?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.