[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the relevance of the hunting segment and that little
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 467986-war-and-peace.jpg (199 KB, 1166x1764) Image search: [Google]
467986-war-and-peace.jpg
199 KB, 1166x1764
What are the relevance of the hunting segment and that little get-together that follows? Was it meant to indicate the transition Natasha made from loli-tier to woman?
she still a little ho-ho
>>
>>7863093
I really don't know but that is one of the finest pieces of writing I've ever had the pleasure to read
>>
>>7863093
Validation of their aristocratic way of life
>>
>>7863119
But Tolstoy had already done that a bunch of times previous to the hunting part. Was he intentionally trying to make the book as long and bloated as possible?
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great novel thus far, and it does stress some interesting themes, albeit unwieldy because of the book's magnitude. However, I can't help to feel a strong sense of familiarity about certain events. After a while it seems vague details are being repeated.
>>
>>7863147
Not sure what your point is. You're assuming that Tolstoy had some reason to only validate their aristocratic life a set number of times. As another anon said, it was a great scene. Maybe he wrote it for the sake of the beauty of scene. Maybe everything had personal significance for him. Maybe he had a quota. Who knows. The point is that it's there.

Whatever you learned about efficiency in story-telling or whatever in 9th grade English is not only wrong, it's probably not even applicable. Tolstoy himself didn't even consider War and Peace to be a novel.
>>
>>7863093
The soul of Russia is hunting, dancing, and cozy cabins
>>
>>7863172
Book, story, thing, whatever. I think I'm just becoming frustrated with it. As you said, perhaps it was just for the sake of beauty, is of some significance to Tolstoy, etc.
I was narrowly thinking about what >>7863119
said, which made me feel that way.
>>
>>7863194
If you're getting frustrated with some of the most heartfelt and memorable moments of the book, wait until you get to the epilogue, kek.
>>
>>7863147
>intentionally trying to make the book as long as possible

Maybe. Is there a problem with that?
>>
>>7863207
It's mot so much that I'm getting frustrated at the moments, rather its overall length. I'm currently on page 609 and that's not even half way through the entire book (the edition I have, at least), I should really take it easy and enjoy the content. I'm too concerned about finishing the damn thing it is really getting in the way of appreciating the beauty of such moments.

Yeah, I heard the epilogue is a bitch. I recall someone telling me the second epilogue was the only part of War and Peace that he did not completely read. He said Tolstoy gets "bitchy".
>>
>>7863226
The ending has very little to do with anything so just enjoy the beautiful moments. Not saying there's no plot, but if you're expecting all these vignettes to tie together then you're going to be disappointed. The book was serialized first, so that's why it doesn't feel unified - but it does have stability in the characters, so focus on them rather than how themes are fitting together.
>>
>>7863226
Are you a new reader? War and Peace isn't even that long brah. Just read the book and stop being autistic about getting to check it off on your BOOKS I'VE READ list.

The 2nd epilogue is basically a philosophical essay about his theory of history and the existence of God. It has nothing to do with the plot and is an explicit exegesis on the themes of the book, which is something most artists find annoying. I kind of liked it but it can get pretty dry if you're not used to reading philosophy and also get kind of dilettantish if you are too used to reading philosophy.
>>
>>7863226
>I'm too concerned about finishing the damn thing
You're reading wrong.
Also it really isn't that long.
In Search of Lost Time is long though I've not read it to know if it's bloated.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.