[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>take two required semesters of multiethnic literature >it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3
File: latest[1].png (28 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
28 KB, 200x200
>take two required semesters of multiethnic literature
>it's all shit
>>
well what did you expect? If the bookstaught in multi ethnic literature courses actually held any merit on their own, there'd be no need for multi ethnic literature courses in the first place
>>
>>7861738
Couldn't have said it better myself.
>>
idk man there's some good african american and native american writers. Louise Erdrich is decent, and Chester Himes, Frantz Fanon, and Langston Hughes. Yusef Komunyakaa was a graduate of my school, and wrote a killer book of vietnam war poetry called dien cai dau
>>
>>7861667

>2 semesters

My university only requires 3 hours of a multi ethnic literature course for English majors.

>>7861738

>if the books taughtin multi ethnic literature courses actually held any merit on their own, there'd be no need for multi ethnic literature courses in the first place

Not when the English courses are divided up into different areas.

>British literature pre-1800s
>British literature post-1800s
>American literature pre-1800s
>American literature post 1800s
>individual authors or movements
>African literature
>Spanish/latino literature
>Chinese literature
>Japanese literature
>antiquities (Greeks, Romans, etc.)

It's like saying "If the plays taught in Shakespeare courses actually held any merit on their own, there'd be no need for Shakespeare courses in the first place."
>>
>>7861667
there must be something you can get out of what you read in the course, if not a greater appreciation for the based western canon
>>
>>7863090
>It's like saying
No, it is not like that at all. Your assignment for your next post is to understand why and be able to provide arguments for it.
>>
>>7863090
>>7863554
Rekt
>>
>>7861667
Multi ethnic as in English lit written by ethnic writers right?
>>
>>7861667
I'm cool with ethnic lit courses, but they should never be forced on you in place of western lit courses.

We're westerners. The west conquered the world and all modern philosophical and scientific debate is framed within and is a direct result of western thought. Other traditions (especially East Asian and Russian) have some good ideas, but western lit remains the undisputed greatest and should be taught as such.
>>
>>7861738
This, it's like women's sports. The entire category is a consolation prize.
>>
>>7864479
>other traditions
>Russian
Confirmed for complete retard. Russian literature is considered to be part of the Western tradition.
>>
>>7864517
>is considered
By people completely ignorant of history maybe. The closest the Russians get to being Western is with Tolstoy's novels.
>>
OP has literally never taken a college level literature course in his life. "multiethnic literature" don't make it so obvious dude

anyway there are almost as many great 20th century novels written in spanish as in english
>>
>>7864517
It's different. Russia is an example of an ethnic literature tradition good enough to be taught alongside the western canon.
>>
>>7864535
good b8
>>
>>7864535
>>7864557
>they fell for the /pol/fag meme
I bet you masturbate yourselves to sleep while thinking about Donald Trump.
>>
>>7864597
What the fuck are you talking about? Many historians consider Russian civilization distinct from Western, regardless of the massive impact the West has had on them.
>>
>>7864613
Many historians think jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
>>
>>7864597
This must be b8. Slavs are western canon now? Are Arabs too? How about Latin Americans? Indians?
>>
>>7864535
And their entire nobility speaking French for a long time and being huge Euroboos.
>>
>>7863078
>african american
We're supposed to call them People of Colour again, you racist piece of shit
>>
>>7861667
No you're just an idiot anon. Ethnocentric moron.

I'm sure if you were born in China or Senegal, and you had to take western lit, you'd be the type to say the same stupid shit.

Stop reading, you're literally too stupid to actually benefit from the people trying to expand your mind.

Stick to Vietnamese babbytoons.
>>
>>7861667
Which multi-ethnic literature does the course address? I cant think of many countries in the world that arent in Africa or are South Korea that have a completely barren literary scene.
>>
>>7864554
This.

Back to /r9k/, OP

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7864701
You sound poorly read
>>
>>7864706
great defense

go look at the curricula in asia m8 it's eastern lit and western canon

i guarantee im magnitudes more well read than you
>>
Iktf bro

I'm in a shit Canadian lit required course right now
>>
>>7864701
Racist moron detected.

Argument ad hominem fallacy.

Try again squirt.
>>
>>7864710
I don't throw words around like "objective" when discussing subjective criticism. So I doubt that.

Your posts are childish and speak to an unintelligent individual who reads to confirm his own biases. So I am perfectly confident that I am better read than you.
>>
>>7864710
kill yourself already
>>
>>7864706
>>7864722
>>7864728
>>7864742
>/lit/ is filled with bernie voters who would rather we stop reading shakespeare and read ETHNIC literature

lmao
>>
>>7864749
Lay off the internet for a bit.
>>
>>7864749
Look at this whiteboi being white. Go be white elsewhere dummy.
>>
dumb frogposter
>>
>>7864763
i'm actually japanese
>>
>>7864764
This. Ban all frog faggots
>>
>>7864777
trips confirm
>>
>>7864479
lel russia is western when it comes to science and literature
>>
>>7864749
>they don't support a meme candidate like Trump therefore they must support Bernie
Go back to your hugbox please.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (306 KB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
306 KB, 2000x3000
If you counted Japs and Yids you could have a pretty good course but I doubt the professor would take that line. Also aren't, say, French and Germans distinct ethnicities? How come someone only counts as "ethnic" or "diverse" if they have extra melanin? Liberals are retarded.
>>
File: 1368595022165.jpg (22 KB, 360x303) Image search: [Google]
1368595022165.jpg
22 KB, 360x303
>have to take "ethnic" literature course
>take class on jewish american writers
>read actual literature instead of minorities whining
>>
In a similar situation, required to take a "diversity literature" course. There's pretty much only:

Women writers
African lit
African-American lit
Native American lit*
LGBT lit*

*offered rarely

Which one should I take /lit/?
>>
>tfw /lit/ is now full of Republicans from /pol/ who watch Fox News, fuck their cousins, wear sunglasses and a cowboy hat, have sunburnt necks, have a gun rack with a gun rack on it, live in a trailer park in a swamp, worship Christ, read the Bible every night, go to church every day, believe in the Illuminati, think women are nothing but masturbation tools/fuckdolls, think women have small brains and only have the mental capacity to be interested in cat GIFs, think every woman is a "friendzoning manipulative pampered ice queen cunt", think every single Jew is responsible for the world's ills, brush off the killings of innocent men, women, and children as "le happy merchant :^)" or "muh six gorillion", don't believe in evolution, think gay marriage causes tornadoes, think video games are Satanic propaganda designed to teach kids evolution, burn science books for Jesus, want to render the planet uninhabitable due to Republican greed, think the Earth is 6000 years old, think Jim Crow laws were right, genuinely hate black people because "dark pigment makes dem dindu niggers commit crimes, burn em at the stake :^)", and pretend "dere's a difference between dem filthy no-good niggers and hard-workin' honest black folk :^)"
>>
>>7867085
take women writers at least the class will have lots of grills in it
>>
>>7867085
Native American or just seppuku m8
>>
>>7867130
Yes, every single one is exactly like that. So glad we have at least one übermensch here to keep the pol-tards in their place
>>
>>7867191
Kek, yeah that's the one I'm most interested in. I'm just tired of "women were oppressed" and "blacks were oppressed." I know they were oppressed. Who doesn't? Let's move on, already.

>inb4 they're still oppressed
Just give it 50 years, and most of the racists and sexists will be dead anyways.
>>
>>7867130
To be fair, reading from the bible every night would mean that lit actually reads
>>
>>7867085
lgbt lit since all the great writers were fags anyways, u'll probably just read dorian gay, giovannis room and a bunch of foucault
>>
>>7867130
nice try at hardworking-masculine-christian-male shaming, but it's just the white race is waking up as the world war two hangover clears
>>
>>7867209
The sad thing is is that there are very interesting thinkers in those groups (Martin Luther King was ace, Malcolm x, the year before he died, is what African American lit should aspire to) but you won't get any of it in that class.
>>
>>7867209
>Just give it 50 years, and most of the racists and sexists will be dead anyways.

>falling for the "white males cause dysfunction in non-white communities" meme

the white man could die out tomorrow and chicago would still be a warzone and black and spanish men are super sexist so the womyns will be wishing they still had the limp wristed white numales to kick around lol
>>
>>7864554
>anyway there are almost as many great 20th century novels written in spanish as in english
list pls
>>
>>7867195
>hah kid i don't think women are masturbation tools I would never touch a filthy roastie
>ergo this description of me that has just been provided is invalid
>>
>>7861667
>have to take a class on latin american lit
>its all magical realism

topkek
>>
>Had an elective in a totally dead slot.
>Needed the credit, but not gonna do an unrelated hard course.
>No Prof was willing to do a reading course.
>took aboriginal rights and ethics
> we have the right to blah blah blah
>what do you mean by right?
>definitions that strict are prejudice to our culture and oral tradition.
>later talking about a 'different way of thinking about rights'
>it's a half baked utilitarianism with massive holes
>this already exists
>no it's a white idea we have made our own
>teacher was fat white bitch who got a phd watching TV and using a aboriginal critique method.

She was barely literate desu and couldn't write on the board because she would misspell everything.
>>
>>7867273
Marquez - One Hundred Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera, Autumn of the Patriarch, No One Writes to the Colonel, Chronicle of a Death Foretold
Cortazar - Hopscotch
Puig - Kiss of the Spider Woman
Borges - Ficciones, The Aleph
Bolano - The Savage Detectives, 2666
Esquiviel - Like Water for Chocolate
Sabato - The Tunnel

my perspective is prob. skewed because I think Marquez is the best writer of the last 100-150 years but there ya go
>>
>>7867130
cute
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.