[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the Paris meme is dead, what is the cultural center of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 5
File: 1457965045282.jpg (47 KB, 428x500) Image search: [Google]
1457965045282.jpg
47 KB, 428x500
If the Paris meme is dead, what is the cultural center of the world today?
>>
>>7861548
the internet
>>
Syria.
>>
>>7861558

this desu
>>
>>7861558
4chan, lol

it's probably some obscure irc chat actually
>>
>>7861548
Mexico City
>>
toronto
always has been. always will be.
>>
The US of A.
>>
>>7861576
>4chan
honestly im terrified for the future of humanity
>>
>>7861592
because culture is now non-culture?
>>
today there's no center and as a White heterosexual Male of traditional values this makes me angry on the comments section of a Japanese snot collecting-technique videosharing platform.
>>
>>7861558
this. culture is/moves most through the web
>>
>>7861548
I'm looking for it, I'll let you know if I find it. Next stop is Lima.
>>
>>7861548
Ramallah, Palestine.

There's more intellectual culture in a single square mile in that city than there is in any city in the West.
>>
>>7861548
African Americans
>>
>>7861593
LOL
>>7861597
me 2 bud, me 2 :v
>>
>>7861592
Canada literally has negative culture, they literally have to steal Americas and then get offended when you call them Americans
>>
>>7861592

liberal pisshole

only Vancouver is worse
>>
Vienna nad Linz
>>
>>7861548
New Orleans
>>
toronto is the greatest city in the world. hands down. no questions about it. literally a cultural melting pot.
>>
>>7861936
white boy with an Arab fetish pls go.
>>
>>7862558
it's actually not a bad city though, but yeah you caught me

really funny how many burqa threads /gif/ has had on the same site as /pol/.
>>
>>7861588
dejese venir, puto.
>>
Minneapolis
>>
paris lost its lustre, now its only home to hipsters and native french people who all but literally still live with their mothers
probably this >>7861558
if any physical place, it's new york. new york is still the centre of the world in terms of theatre and literature. it took over from paris after world war two. its also a significant bastion for comedy, visual arts, cinema, television, and so on: virtually every art, truly.
but even so, in the internet age, it isn't that important. certainly you don't have to live in new york, or anywhere else specific for that matter in order to succeed, as long as you live in some at least moderately large city somewhere.
there are major hubs for commercial facets of culture like los angeles, tokyo, shanghai, beijing, and wherever else, but for culture and arts, it's nowhere
>>
>>7861592

>Toronto
>Culture

Toronto is just a cultural amalgam brought together by the promise of boring, peaceful existence and the promise of high-end grocery stores.
>>
>>7862923
someone sounds jelly
>>
>>7861548
For there to be a cultural centre there would first have to be culture.
>>
>>7861635
people doubt the tray at their own peril
>>
>>7863131
>>
>>7861588
Desarrolla.
>>
>>7862555
But it's Canada mate.
>>
Some dudes in another thread said Beijing/Shanghai and after a bit of thinking I think I can see it
>rich, white expatriate communities
>gritty urban environments
>culturally and historically significant
>no shit-tier muslims
>english skills/teachers in high demand (Joyce taught english on the continent for financial support)
>generally non-degenerate poplations
I mean neither are as good as early 20th century
Paris but they're what we've got.
>>
>>7863364
oh boy, here we ago again.
>>
>you'll never travel to paris by a steam locomotive, visiting cafés like in AC unity, playing chess with old mates and discussing literature, philosophy and other humanities

apart from >no gf, this is the worst feel
>>
>>7861576
That chat is #/lit/ on rizon, my friend
>>
St Petersburg
>>
>>7863364
>generally non-degenerate poplations
>implying culture isn't in deep need of "degeneracy"
>>
>>7861548
Leeds
>>
File: 98b.jpg (21 KB, 399x295) Image search: [Google]
98b.jpg
21 KB, 399x295
>>7861558
This desu
Byron would weep at the sight of our memes
>>
>>7861548
Glasgow
>>
>>7862719
> New York
L M A O
M
A
O
>>
>>7861548
New York
>>
>>7861548
tacoma
>>
>>7862555
>>7861592
where at in toronto? what places?
>>
>>7861558
this
Maybe London or Edinburgh.
>>
>>7861548
Kyoto
>>
>>7862719
You can find anything in NYC if you look hard enough. Chicago is actually great for fine arts as well.

Is there anyplace in Europe pumping out good shit? London?
>>
>>7864430
everywhere nigger.
>>
>>7863994
>New York
New York had it's culture nurtured decades ago, it has as much culture as those "I <3 NY" shirts, basically it's so sterilized and commercialized it's meaningless.

The last remaining vestige of culture are the rats that infest the city.
>>
>>7864457

>went to Times Square during your vacation so you think that's New York
>actually from some cultureless hellhole in the Midwest
>resents the fact that New York is the world seat of literature, comedy, and ine arts because can never participate

How does it feel to be this, bud?
>>
>>7864457
Homer?
>>
>>7862576
nigerians dont have culture
>>
>>7864473
What exactly of interest has New York produced in the last few decades?
>>
>>7864492
jay z duhh
>>
>>7864500
Jay z is a popstar anon.
>>
>>7861558
FPBP
>>
>>7864492
there are still neo-classical composers from New York city and their orchestra is amazing

>>7864500
>rap music
>art
pick none
>>
>>7863967
did you fucking read it?
>>
>>7861548
>european wannabes
>muricans

Buenos Aires or Lima desu
>>
berlin...
>>
The West Coast
>>
>>7864651
nah
>>
Atlanta.
Hipster central surrounded by forest, and on the other side of the forest are the neanderthal people, and you're not to ever venture that far.
>>
the annex and surrounding boroughs in Toronto were quite neat when I went there. you were hugged by China Town, Korea town, little Italy and hipster town.
>>
>>7862070
How is Vancouver worse?
I agree that they're both shit (culturally) but I just can't see how Vancouver is worse than Toronto.
>>
>>7864452
Berlin is the centre of visual art atm
>>
>>7864679
Vancouver is just filled with rich retards
>>
>people actually like Toronto
>live here and hate it

I guess it could be worse... The guy screaming in Arabic on the streetcar this morning just adds to our vibrant community:^)
>>
>>7864688
Zanta is my favorite toronto crazy
>>
>>7864694
Which one's that
>>
>>7864452
Alright listen up Anon, here's why London is the cultural center of the world:

Home of 21st century fashion AKA streetwear AKA the biggest cultural symbol fucking anywhere.

New York does this better? Fuck NY, London is the place to be because Americans are uncultured fucking swine who cling to the teet of European culture, hoping for just a little more milk and here's why.

Ever since Americans declared themselves American and separated themselves from Europe and its tradition they've been unable to boast having the cultural centre of the world despite their superpower status. Why? Because America lacks history. London oozes with history and every cobbled street filled with cafes, niche restaurants filled with asians (your restaurant isn't shit unless asians queue 30 minutes for it at opening time) and questionable back alley sex shops. You go to New York and it feels like fucking everything was pre-planned by a retard. There's no adoration for each individual design that you can see throughout London's streets, just a desire for practicality poorly fulfilled. London is the ultimate in form over function.

Before anybody starts chatting shit about authors, who the fuck does New York have now? Tao Lin? The fact is there are no trendy writing hubs in 2016

Now for theatre. The UK produces hands down THE best actors in the world. Daniel Day-Lewis, Christian Bale, the big guy, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Michael Caine, Jeremy Irohs, Ralph Fiennes, Judy Dench, Kate Winslet, Helen Mirren, the UK has fucking everybody. Now what do all these actors have in common? They've all fucking killed it either at the West End/National Theatre/with the RSC. Stage acting is at its very best in London and don't let any yank convince you otherwise
>>
>>7864677
>Atlanta
Does your city have anything of note other than the endless stream of trap artists it produces?
>>
File: shrug.jpg (23 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
23 KB, 500x310
>>7864756
We have a hotel that F. Scott Fitzgerald stayed at.
>>
>>7864457
You mean, besides its expansive collection of cultured stage productions. Yes, there is no culture in NYC.
>>
>>7864707
does push-ups in a santa hat always around downtown

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Zancai

this is why toronto is #1 literary hotspot
>>
>>7861558
This feels so right. Everything that has ever been made, or said, or thought will be saved and recovered in internet with the help of people who inhabit it.
>>
>>7861592
Canada is a cultural vacuum mate.
>>
>>7864920
I would "fuck" Zanta to be honest. Never seen him in my 20 years here.
>>
>>7865008
you need to get out more
>>
>>7864548
>neo-classical composers
I know you can't hear the sound of me gagging at the thought but you'll have to take my word.
>>
File: shrek.jpg (127 KB, 1350x759) Image search: [Google]
shrek.jpg
127 KB, 1350x759
>>7864905
>cultured stage productions
You mean 'Shrek The Musical'?
>>
>>7865001
not even. we were the first country to be multicultural. it's part of our heritage. we we're the first country to be nice to Indians and let niggers come in without having to sit at the back of the bus.
>>
Montréal
>>
>>7865081
You see, such a vacuum that the best thing you have to say for yourself is that the vacuum lets itself be filled by other cultures.
>>
>>7864688
do you live in the outer subburbs?
>>
There is no center for something that doesn't exist anymore
>>
>>7861917
take me with you
>>
For lit at least, where is the cultural center in Latin America?
>>
>>7861559
syrian here i come in peaceful jihad
>>
>>7864748
Yeah, but London is overrrun with Muslims now, at least in NYC women can ride on the subway without getting stabbed and/or raped.
>>
>>7864688

Sounds like you're in Scarborough. Toronto's big problem was amalgamation, and I say this as someone born/raised in Scarborough. Place is a dump and not even a dump in any like, cool niche way.
>>
File: kultur.jpg (87 KB, 670x404) Image search: [Google]
kultur.jpg
87 KB, 670x404
>>7861548
HOUSTON
O
U
S
T
O
N
>>
>>7867486
I was actually in Houston recently, it's got a surprising amount of culture, plus it's fucking cheap.

Not much of a literary scene to speak of, though. The most /lit/ city in Texas, unfortunately, is Austin.
>>
>>7863364
As someone who lives in China now (Suzhou via Beijing) there is something pregnant about this country, like it's just on the cusp of something incredible. Nowhere in the world is the American Dream more alive than in the streets of China and as a proud American, this both makes me proud and fills me with a sense of regret, like we had something great, and the torch has been appropriated by another titan.

When the dragon wakes up, the world will know. You can feel it in the stream of people.
>>
>>7864437
>confirmed for never lived in london or edinburgh
pls refer to the correct answer, >>7861592
>>
>>7864748
>london has fashion
>fashion=culture
>opinions
>"UK" produces actors
>somehow associates these actors with london ignoring the fact that he only knows about them through hollywood
>NYC has tao lin, london must be better by default
>still doesn't list any london writers (because they don't exist)
>london has overpriced cafes
>more opinions

it's like you're not even trying, except that you're trying really hard
>>
>>7864748
>Home of 21st century fashion
uh no
LFW is a glorified student fashion show
Tokyo is the centre of actual streetwear
>>
>>7867656
wish you could describe it better instead of describing how much you can't describe it, you filthy pleb
>>
>>7867776
China is like the America that my grandparents used to talk about transported into the twenty first century. They embody the decadence on the surface that the young generation laps up, but underneath stirs a behemoth of progress that waits for the right moment. The country is patient, content to take the western frivolities to please the most people while the underlying causes fight it out in committee. It won't be long before this country wakes up, and they will wake so thunderoulsy as to deafen the world. From those I've talked with about the past of China, they wait for the future, they hunger for a chance to shed the labels the west has given them, counterfeiters, plagiarizers, thieves, gravediggers of culture. China has stood far longer than most civilizations can boast, and they know that. They know it is only a matter of time until they adopt fully the spirit that drives the West. They have take the flame and intend to light it in the caldera of their country,

I can't wait. Maybe something as both old and young can challenge America to reclaim it's dream. That's what I want, anyway.
>>
>>7867786
Yea but they're money worshipping communists and they're doing the same shit that Japan did in the 70s. Is there any sign they won't fall into the same trap Japan has? Japan has a good entrepreneurial spirit, good lit, a solid philosophical tradition and so on, but it certainly isn't/was never Paris.

What makes China different in your opinion?
>>
>>7863364
hi nick
>>
>>7867920
Honestly, there's not. It's just a fleeting feeling.They can easily fall into the Japan/Korea pitfall and just ape western culture, but I feel the pulse of something moving underneath beneath the surface. There's this desire to adapt and improve on. There's nothing concrete to say that it will take the place of a cultural mecca, but if there's any place in the world is more poised to take the thrown, it's China. Whether they rise to the occasion is another discussion, but this place has the makings of something great
>>
>>7864748
most bongistan post I've ever read
>>
>>7864748
London is so shit. It's a neoliberal shell of consumerism and gentrification. Only an idiot would mistake it for culture.
>>
>>7867933
Fair enough
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.