[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apocalyptic novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
What are some realistic post apocalyptic novels? I don't care what the actual apocalypse is (zombies, disease ect.) but how the author deals with how humans act when society shuts down. Here are some examples:

How do people deal with the inevitable mass raping?

After all the tampons run out, how do women deal with their periods?

Pregnant women?

Tooth decay?

Retarded people?

I basically want a story that's everything the walking dead isn't. The closest thing I can think of is WWZ but as I recall not a single person got raped nor were there teeth being pulled do to lack of brushing/flossing.
>>
you can read fiction that takes place before the modern age and just pretend its post apocalyptic
>>
>>7859508
A Canticle for Leibowitz is post apocalypse and about how humanity deals with the end of civilized society and such. It's not super realistic in the minute details like tampons running out and tooth decay but it's a great book that's definitely worth a read.
>>
>>7859508
The Road
Alas Babylon
Earth Abides
On the Beach

thats literally it
>>
>>7859541
>>7859542
The road sucked massive dick. I'll check out the other ones. Hopefully future authors will write more gritty/edgy post apocalyptic stories.
>>
>>7859624
if you think the road sucked you are hopeless
>>
>>7859508
I don't think you know enough about human biology to be demanding post apocalyptic books adhere to your understanding of it.
>>
>>7859624

just read world war z you fucking casual

seriously tho all zombie media past 2005 has tried to be like world war z
>>
File: 1456370140816.jpg (26 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
1456370140816.jpg
26 KB, 600x375
>>7859690
Not him, but I wanna know what horseshit you're talking about. All he asked is what would happen when shit started to deteriorate.
>>
Blindness by Saramago
>>
Earth Abides. It's a kind of post-apocalyptic Robinson Crusoe with a settlement of plaguesurvivors surviving over a few generations. It has a couple of the things you mention although it's kind of a cozy catastrophe novel. If you want some of that edgy shit like "inevitable mass rapings" go somewhere else
>>
>>7859542
>thats literally it

i see you've only read 4 books
>>
>>7860544
Why is it edgy when we all know that's the first thing that'll happen along with looting?
>>
File: 2756.jpg (42 KB, 500x505) Image search: [Google]
2756.jpg
42 KB, 500x505
>>7859654
>>7859690
>>7860544
If Allied troops raped women after the Nazis were defeated, what makes you think your average guy won't do the same if society collapsed?
>>
>>7859508
I'm teaching a class onthis subject in the autumn. Thebasic textsthat I'musing are:

The Last Man by Mary Shelley
Various "last man" poets of the romantic period
After London by Richard Jeffries
Endgame by Samuel Beckett
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
The Road by McCarthy

You could also check out:
Oryx and Crake (& its sequels) by Margaret Atwood
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel as a response to McCarthy
>>
>>7861303
Excuse the poor spacing above. A mixture of ipad and alcohol.
>>
>>7861252
Allied troops also raped "the evil enemy" not their next-door neighbor. Unless you build your narrative around primal wars and invasion it's not really the same.

>>7860414
Just look at any civilization that doesn't get their food and tools from the supermarket if you want to know how humans deal with menstruation and tooth decay. Menstruation either doesn't occur because of constant pregnancy or rags are used to soak up the blood and reused after cleaning. Tooth decay is primarily caused by a Western diet high in processed food (refined grains and sugars).
>>
>>7861637
Next door neighbor, of course not. But random looters? You think people wouldnt see them as "the enemy? " By the way, the rapes were committed by both Soviet and American troops. Many of the girls were young and defenseless.
>>
Gravity's Rainbow is like a peripherally apocalpyse, where you get the feeling it all ends just outside the book's pages, but it's not any Mad Max, Shady Sands kinda dealio
>>
>>7861723
I'm well aware of what happened. It's a lot easier to dehumanize your enemy's children, especially after an exhaustive disgusting war on the Eastern front.

I just think it's a sexual fantasy that once the zombie apocalypse hits everyone would suddenly start to enjoy violent rape. At least if you put it next to menstruation and tooth decay like it's gonna happen as frequently and naturally as taking a shit in the corner. Women having to prostitute themselves and becoming highly dependent on male partners or relatives is a closer assumption.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.