[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Physical-copy-only books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
What are the books that could not function in digital format due to either their substance or form?

I was reading most of english books in digital format lately, mainly because of kindle's dictionary and the secondness of english as my language, but now I'm getting some physical copies and wanted to know whether /lit/'d recomend me some mandatory ones. Things that come to my mind immediately are William Gass's The Tunnel and Danielewski's House Of Leaves. Obviously only books written in english interest me, post what you want tho.

/I plan buying one after someone covinces me, but that's good subject for a thread anyway/
>>
>>7858658
Actually, there isn't much of a difference between the digital and physical versions of The Tunnel, as the former is just a photocopy of the latter.

t. Gassposter
>>
>>7858658
IJ was pretty shit on my glo
>>
>>7858702
Yeah, there isn't, but I suppose it could feel strange to read a book about books not being a book really.
pic related is mfw reading first chapter of If on a winter's night a traveler on e-reader.
>>
Pale Fire doesn't really work as an ebook. I know because I tried.
>>
>>7858793
...and it is a poem, so it's an untranslatable work, a perfect candidate. I guess the prose of Nabokov is really far above my kowledge of the language, but I'll buy it anyway and will try to comprehend it. I've only read Lolita from Nabokov's repertoire until now, and it was a translation, but I really loved it. Thanks!
>>
>>7858852
Good luck. PF is somewhat fiendish.
>>
obviosly in translation, but I imagine Hopscotch being uncomfartable to navigate through on an ebook
>>
>>7858793
are you sure you just couldn't find a good version?

the book was pretty much made to be hyperlinked
>>
>>7858712
>10kilos lighter
>hyperlink straight to the endnotes and back

I found it a lot easier
>>
Bilingual editions of poetry where the different languages are on facing pages don't work as ebooks
>>
File: pound.jpg (24 KB, 350x330) Image search: [Google]
pound.jpg
24 KB, 350x330
>>7858658

good luck reading the cantos on an e-reader lol
>>
House of Leaves would be ruined obviously
>>
>>7859175
I have The Cantos coming in the mail. I can't wait.
>>
>>7859187

nice 1 m8.

make sure you get the terrell companion.

you are going to need it. believe me.
>>
>>7859218
I did, niga. Never skimp on the supplementary materials.
>>
>>7858658
I read a few pages of The Recognitions in pdf form and it impressed me so much that I thought it'd be a shame to not own the real thing.
>>
>>7859236
>muh materialism
>>
>>7859236
is this a new meme?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.