[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know I post this a lot, but I really want to talk about this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: Ovid.jpg (24 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
Ovid.jpg
24 KB, 400x430
I know I post this a lot, but I really want to talk about this. I fucking LOVE Metamorphoses. Anybody else enjoy it? Favorite translation? I've partial to the Melville translation, but I'm honestly considering learning Latin just to read it in its original language.
>>
i liked it. i read the version pictured. it was funny
>>
literally RAPEEEEEEE the novel

just shitposting it is pretty good.
>>
>>7858489
I posted this thread before and got the EXACT same reply as yours as the first response. I wonder if you're the same person. If so, thanks for your contribution!
>>
>2016
>not knowing Latin
>you must be 18 to post here
>>
>>7858492
I probably am.
>>
it's great jackoff material, that's for sure.
>>
>>7858568
Well, I like you
>>
>>7858483
read it in latin and stop being a pussy.
>>
im reading that shit next, i already read all the greeks that i find interesting (which means no philosopher-pedos) and now it's time for some latin shiz
>>
>>7858746
>going straight from the Greeks to Ovid

You fucked up

If you're not going to read any Roman historians at least start with the Aeneid
>>
>>7858764
OP here
I skipped the Greeks entirely and just went straight to Ovid as my intro to poetry/classic lit. Don't regret it one bit
>>
>>7858764
the aeneid is gay
>>
why would you read any translation other than Arthur Golding's? Ezra Pound called it "the most beautiful book in the English language," and even Shakespeare stole from it.

>Then eyther he that made the worlde, and things in order set,
>Of heavenly seede engendred Man: or else the earth as yet
>Yong, lustie, fresh, and in hir floures, and parted from the skie,
>But late before, the seede thereof as yet held inwardlie.
>The which Prometheus tempring straight with water of the spring,
>Did make in likenesse to the Gods that governe everie thing.
>And where all other beasts behold the ground with groveling eie,
>He gave to Man a stately looke replete with majestie.
>And willde him to behold the Heaven wyth countnance cast on hie,
>To marke and understand what things were in the starrie skie.
>>
>>7858746
What translation of Ovid are you going to read?
>>7858787
I've heard Golding's translation is wildly inaccurate
>>
>>7858717
>tfw you learn latin and ancient greek to read the classics and thencan't find any latin and greek editions
>>
>>7858812
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loeb_Classical_Library

I don't understand how anyone can know dead languages, speak English, and not be familiar with Loeb
>>
>>7858809
>inaccurate
That doesn't detract from its beauty though.
>>
>>7858931
But at a certain point, it ceases to be Ovid
>>
Just started book five tbhfam

Thought it had a slow beginning (reading Mandelbaum) but all the Perseus stuff was lit

Idk, I kinda feel that after starting with the Greeks I'm a bit bored with the subject matter

>woah no way, another rape!
>bravo Ovid
>>
>>7858588
>Find some goat grove in the woods
>Her some women gigglely
>Some 10/10 getting washed by a group of 8/10's
>She turns me into an animal
>My own dogs rip me to pieces
>>
>>7858812
They're easy to find free online yo.

How did you learn Latin? I'm about halfway through the declensions using greenough's grammar and the Latin with Vergil videos, but the videos only go so far and the book is cumbersome to go through as is. When do you start grinding through books?

My goal of learning Latin is reading Ovid. Great thread.
>>
>>7859592
Think of it more as domination, submission, and revenge.
>>
>>7859592

it gets much better and moves along much quicker. picks up inertia when the narrative moves away from the gods' nonsense.

my two favorite books were Ajax and Ulysses and the one about Pythagoras
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.