[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't he branch out of YA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 400x400
Why doesn't he branch out of YA?
>>
limited
>>
Because he can't...
>>
For one, YA is extraordinarily profitable. John Green probably has an eight figure net worth, at least, thanks to all the YA he's written.

Second, what >>7857904 said. He's fairly limited. He writes good teenagers, but he can't fathom adults. He can't fathom actual children, either. Notice how all the children in John Greene books are unbearable. All he can write is smarter-than-average teenagers. This is because Greene himself essentially has the mind and the makeup of a smarter-than-average teenager. He's very clever and witty, but he's not really an adult. He can only write what he knows, and he doesn't really know anything more than YA. When I say 'know,' I'm using it in a very fundamental way.
>>
thats like askin why a pigeon dont try composing some classical, dumb fuck

doesnt even occur to it
>>
>>7857901
That wouldn't sell very well, anon :)
Don't you at least want to try YA :)
You'll like it :)
>>
He can only write the same characters every time. Those characters happen to be teenagers.
>>
Because he likes making money.
>>
File: john-green.jpg (209 KB, 1216x1878) Image search: [Google]
john-green.jpg
209 KB, 1216x1878
>>
>>7858110
jesus ive only seen the first twilight movie (dont worry about it) and that shit is really terrible
couldnt he pick a better franchise to do this with
>>
>>7858110

I agree with the basic sentiment that it's easy and kinda cowardly to shit on something like Twilight but John Green is a huge faggot. He still does the exact same thing to other groups and just pretends it's fine because he's an SJW and therefore immune to boundaries.
>>
>>7858110
you gotta hand it to the guy, he's really willing to "sell" being a teenage girl in a man's body to make money

the dude is infinitely rich and drowning in audience pussy because he applies male competence to aping & thereby validating female behaviours, 24/7

i wouldn't be able to do it. i bet john green wakes up every morning by snorting heroin off a 15 year old's mon pubis
>>
>>7857901
Because he's happy with the audience pussy
>>
>>7857901
I've never read any of Jonnhy weed here but from the posts I think I can figure out something (>>7857916)

So he writes about teenagers who are special snowflakes in some kind, and they supposedly have adventures? The plot is about fetching, looking for someone/something I imagine
Then is he writing anime? The teenagers, the special snowflakes, adventures, moe...
>>
Because he's a manchild given an audience.
>>
He has no talent.
>>
Why would he? He earns crazy good money and has a devoted fanbase comprised of (at least somewhat) attractive teen girls. Admittedly I don't care for YA so I haven't read his books, but geez, other than talent, this guy has it all! Do you think literary fiction authors have this much pussy on tap? Why would he give it up? Most high schoolers know who this guy is. He doesn't need to prove himself anymore, and really, even if he did write the best non-YA piece of literature ever, his reputation is already cemented. He's taking the path of least resistance.
>>
>>7858110
hes right you know. /lit/ just doesn't understand sincerity
>>
>>7859272
Something can sincere and still be shitty. People like him just love to go against the flow because it's "COOL" to have a bullshit deeper meaning to push. Also you refer to /lit/ as though its a website you're not currently on. Get the fuck back to wherever it is you came from.
>>
>>7858163
His writing is weird because he simultaneously writes these special snowflake characters, yet thematically derides them for being manic pixie dream people and wants you to imagine them complexly, despite not really giving you enough material to work with.
In terms of actual plot, his books are really more like coming of age films then they are anime. They're all from a white middle-class suburban perspective with the main character encountering someone who's eventual disappearance gives them some sort of epiphany about life.
He's not a bad writer exactly, but he taps into that coming of age niche, which is why he appeals to teenagers so much and why /lit/ thinks he's a hack.

I'd be interested to see him write something that wasn't YA just out of novelty, but I doubt he'll ever do that considering the success he's had in YA
>>
>>7858110
Kind of defeats the point of twitter if you make 80 tweets to get around the character limit
>>
>>7857916
>All he can write is smarter-than-average teenagers.
He actually can't even do this. He characters that are, essentially, how 'witty' and 'too smart for their own good' teenagers view themselves. I had the misfortune of reading Looking For Alaska back in high school based on a recommendation from a friend (before you ask, this friend was female), and I noticed all the characters had dumb, forced 'quirks' that no one in real life has, like memorising last words. The characters also did stupid shit like mix together all these drinks into an awful thing they called 'ambrosia' (HURR DURR DRINK OF THE GODS, IM SO PATRICIAN I KNOW THE GREEKS XDDD), a combination of 'lolsorandom' and stupidly edgy behaviour that appeals to the basest parts of the YA mindset.

In essence, he writes unbelievable and annoying characters that reflect how his readers view themselves, who also happen to be quite annoying.

Thanks for reading my rant.
>>
>>7859452
Nouveau YA is trash in general. Green just jumped on the EZ money gravy train
>>
>>7859452
You are welcome. I liked it.

I think you got to the meat of it. He doesn't write smarter-than-average teenagers, he writes how pretentious smarter-than-average teenagers try to construct themselves. That's why it's so cringe.
>>
File: norman.jpg (53 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
norman.jpg
53 KB, 1024x576
>>7859466
>tfw I just learned that I hate John Green because I hate myself
>>
>>7859466
>I liked it.
Thank you. You also summarised it much more concisely than I did. I just really needed to get that whole rant off my chest.

Another thing wrong with that book, though, was the character Alaska. I can't remember this part too well but basically the reason the main character was attracted to her was that, despite being annoying and obnoxious, she liked poetry and had huge tits, thus making her some object of feminine mystery in the eyes of the main character. His love for her (in fact, the reasons all the characters like her) is so shallow and insincere, and yet it's written as a sincere and heartfelt coming-of-age/romance story. It would be like if in an episode of Seinfeld we were suddenly meant to start caring about George Costanza, or relate with Jerry's reasons for dumping his latest partner.
>>
>>7859326
>People like him just love to go against the flow because it's "COOL"

Its the contrary m8
>>
>>7859482
It's not over yet boys, I just realised I can build on this.

Anyway, this really reveals how vapid, materialistic and borderline nihilistic the YA audience is. Obviously insincere relationships based on frightfully shallow observations about other characters are the norm and treated seriously by the authors. And the audience, who already think they're somehow deeper than the average teenager, COMPLETELY relate to these relationships, despite their utter lack of depth. Teenagers should read literature that can bring them out of this mindset, not stuff that enforces it.
>>
>>7857901
Because nobody will take him seriously anymore.
>>
>People defending shitty characters because "That's how they were MEANT to be"
Justified awfulness does not suddenly become good, they're still awful. Its like the author is trying to intentionally annoy me. Congratulations, now I'm just annoyed, rather than engaged.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.