[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me what you think about pic related, /lit/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 9780060597184.jpg (12 KB, 271x400) Image search: [Google]
9780060597184.jpg
12 KB, 271x400
Tell me what you think about pic related, /lit/.
>>
I saw a girl reading it on the train when I was in Australia. She looked like she was enjoying it. The cover was different than this one though I think.
>>
It vaguely annoyed me
>>
>>7857132
On my to read list
>>
>>7857135
Me too.
>>7857132
It's nicely written sophistry of a fictional asshole that goes on for way too long. Everything Kundera had to say was said in the first part of the novel and everything between the end and middle could have been cut out. It feels redundant. His musings become annoying and as it isn't actual philosophy there's little value to them, aside providing insight into the character, which was already clear in the first 100 pages.
Also if you want to get literary pussy Kundera and Marquez are essential reads or so I hear
>>
On my list, for sure. I want to read it even sooner now that I'm reading The Bastard of Istanbul, in which there is a lengthy discussion of how the fuck Cafe Kundera got its name.
>>
>>7857162
Kundera and Hesse will get you laid in Germany.
>>
My name is Gaston. I am the archetypal protagonist in any Kundera novel you care to name. Allow me to make some brief philosophical suppositions, but first, I must finish my coffee. This is a pleasant Parisian cafe, is it not? A girl walks past the Seine - she has lovely thighs; I feel an erection developing...where was I? Ah, yes, some nonsense involving adjectives and nouns that are woolly enough to be interpreted by any reader in a different way, like horoscopes. If you sit patiently for a dozen or so more pages I may even give you a fairly well-crafted sex scene. A beautiful young woman walks by and I get another erection...where was I again?
>>
>>7857162
>>7857197
Vonnegut and Nabokov will get you laid in the US
>>
Kundera.Milan. Hate him, painfully midbrow
>>
>>7857267
Here Nabokov with the Tumblir crowd, Vonnegut with the general pseuds. Kundera and Marquez are quality pussy compared to the other two.
>>
even when i first read it as 13, it struck me as pretentious and vacuous garbage. it's even more hateful to me now
>>
File: maestruli.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
maestruli.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
I liked it a lot.
No idea why it's considered a middlebrow meme in /lit/.
>>
literally almost as bad as paulo coelho
>>
>>7857498
Well this was intentionally pseudo intellectual so it's excused.
>>
>>7857498
That's an exaggeration.
>>
It's a book for roastie whores.
>>
>>7857654
This, girls who like Kindera are sluts, no exceptions.
>>
I enjoyed it to an extent, what i hated most to be honest were the philosophical musings, they were horrid, i don't think i gained anything from reading the book but an idea on how to be a massive douchebag to yourself and everyone around you.
>>
>>7857654
>>7857693
Care to explain why? I'm interested.
>>
>>7857707
I don't even know what Kundera was going for. Was this intentional?
>>
>>7857741
Bump
>>
>>7857741
The whole book romanticizes a womanizing pseudo-intellectual Chad and then it also romanticizes his various slut girlfriends.
>>
>>7858433
thank you my friend
>>
>>7858433
Hence why I don't get the point- was it intentionally pseudo intellectual romanticism drivel? Or was I missing something?
>>
>>7858433
Exactly. It's like a whole world imagined to suit the rationalizations someone would come up with for being boring and promiscuous.
>>
mediocre book but it made me horny to be quite damn honest
>>
>>7859558
Yeah, jacked off to it a few times.
>>
I've read it years ago as a teenager and liked it at the time, were I to read it now I might think otherwise, but I still remember it as a decent novel. I'm not sure why this board hates it so much. There is at least a very good trick in it, when in the last part of the novel there's an explanation on unnecessary and false sentimentality, on crying not because you feel like crying but that you should cry, denouncing that, and then there's a log scene of the dog dying and it's burial with chocolates, as if forcing you now to cry after just learning you shouldn't just because you're supposed to. That to me was rather good at the time.
>>
This thread disgusts me, I'm ashamed /lit/
>>
>>7857132
good read, muddled philosophy. Kundera is no great thinker but he translates well to English and French. read it for enjoyment, it's an enjoyable tragedy with well-rounded characters.
>>
the least interesting of the kundera books i've read. i swear it's only the most famous because it's got a great title and had a movie
>>
>>7860452

this is the right opinion
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.