[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've read these books over 10 times and I still have some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: The-Wizard.jpg (27 KB, 260x419) Image search: [Google]
The-Wizard.jpg
27 KB, 260x419
I've read these books over 10 times and I still have some questions.

>Why did the most low god's plane of existence crumble?

>Why did Air Able lose Parka's love?

>Why did the Archangel Michael keep searching for Sir Able when he already found him at the pool?

>What is the relevance of the she-demon that Sir Able found while his troops were scavenging?

>Were Mythgarthr Able and American Able the same person?
>>
>>7856419
Try to summon Marc Aramini
>>
File: wqMWK7z.webm (543 KB, 300x246) Image search: [Google]
wqMWK7z.webm
543 KB, 300x246
>>7856661
>look up Marc Aramini
>"[Gene Wolfe] operates on a level of symbolic allusion"
>"concept of variance reduction techniques applied to a plot"

Please no. I don't want to forever ruin my memory of Wolfe's books with faggy post-modern deconstruction.
>>
>>7857159
Marc passionately hates post structuralism and postmodern philosophy in general.
>>
>>7857159
Maybe you should listen to his video on fifth head instead. .. he is far more likely to insist on "one true authorial intention" than deconstruct ...
>>
>>7856419
Because the citizens of griffonsford had begun sacrificing to the aelf, disiri began hiding children in danger. Mythgarthr Able was one such ... she took him as a child when bold berthold almost drowned ... part of him remained in the pond and might be related to that search by michael... the transference between american and bold's able might have been with his tampering with the spiney orange ... the lives from parkas bow string have been cut short, and those that die above can become fixtures in the world below (like ymir becoming the land of mythgarthr while kulili, the worms, might be the remains of humans like bold's mother on the island of glas). I will write more after i finish reading the wizard again. ...
>>
>>7858962
I meant part of bold seemed to sink below the pond ...
>>
>>7856419
Is this book a good intro to Wolfe's style? I really want to read it because I plan on tackling Book of the New Sun eventually and also because I want to read some escapist fantasy that I wont feel guilty for reading
>>
>>7859111
Yes and no ... it is a good book but the style is quite different than New Sun. The conservative and hierarchical class/role stratifications is presented with mich more thematic urgency in the wizard knight than in New Sun, whose cosmology is quite a bit more deceptive ... wizard knight, though it is about tree spirits and norse myths and giants, is way more didactic : this is how a man behaves against impossible odds, etc. The characters "grow up" and that is much of the point.
>>
>>7858962
I've always disliked the post Short Sun Wolfe because he makes things way too subtle contrasting straightforward narrative and style with deeply hidden subtext.
>>7859490
I would say that TWK is contrasting subtext to being simple at face value, it doesn't prepare you for what it's trying to say like Cerberus or New Sun do with style and philosophical musings.
>>
>>7859605
I would argue that is post new sun wolfe ... long and short sun have a lot of subtext, too ... more than wizard knight .... maybe.
>>
File: 1354398376387.jpg (33 KB, 448x599) Image search: [Google]
1354398376387.jpg
33 KB, 448x599
>>7856419
>genre fiction
>>
>>7859673
Shakespeare, pope, milton, poe, shelley, homer, dante, prose eddas, swift, orwell, huxley ... genre fiction. Lel.
>>
>>7859672
They do, but they aren't as contrasted between seeming simplicity and subtext. From the very idea of Outsider you know it's philosophical, unlike for say A Borrowed Man where nothing is showed, only implied.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.