[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would even someone as subversive as Nietzsche have to concede
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: Sam Harris .jpg (27 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Sam Harris .jpg
27 KB, 460x276
Would even someone as subversive as Nietzsche have to concede that he is an ubermensch?
>>
>>7854329
He wasn't one nor did he consider himself to be one.

I also cannot fucking stand that piece of shit Harris.
>>
>>7854483
I didn't say he considered himself one
>>
ubermensch does not need the title
so he would not concede not because he can but because it unconcedes him
>>
Nobody is Übermensch. It's not something you are or want to be.
>>
>>7854748
T. Untermensch
>>
All these fucking threads, all the time...

It's like I can't even tell if it's shit posting anymore or if it's just bold-faced sincerity.
>>
>>7854329
Who the fuck is Sam Harris? I know he's a fedora tipping atheist and that's about it.
>>
>>7854483

as-salamu alaykum brother
>>
>>7854960
Nu atheists making cash out of the movement like Richard Dawkins.
>>
File: 1433368012900.jpg (8 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1433368012900.jpg
8 KB, 251x251
>>7855079

10/10
>>
>>7854748
not you maybe
>>
I read the entirety of 'Waking Up' and I still have no idea how to meditate. People only ecer explain the physical positioning but can't convey the actual mindstate. I understand that a ton of people rave about the benefits of meditation, but something tells me it may really be a beneficial practice for extroverts. I mean, I keep to myself all day so I think my mind is rather calm and quiet. Somebody who is a busy body socialite might see more worth in internal concentration because it is a contrast to their usual lifestyle.
>>
>>7854329
The Ubermensch is philosophically at the top of the pyramid of humanity, a grand creator of values. Napoleon was an Ubermensch. Sam Harris is a fucking idiot "atheist author" who shits out unphilosophical, unoriginal garbage for money alone.
>>
>>7855191
Harris >>>>>>>>>>> Napoleon the manlet and murderer

How is this even a discussion?
>>
>>7855202
Harris is an autistic homo.
>>
>>7855206
I can tell you have not been enlightened.
>>
>>7855140

Me neither, man. I googled meditation after convincing myself that it wasn't new age-y horseshit and so far every "how to meditate" website contains nothing about how to meditate. Is it some kind of thought abstraction too nuanced for words to explain? How come every meditation blogger is a 30-something housewife with a degree in inner-city nannying?

I tried focusing on my breathing alone for like 5 minutes, but I couldn't stop focusing on trying not to fart. Perhaps I'm a disgusting troglodyte.
>>
>>7855253
sounds like you're just a retard t b h
>>
>>7855260

Nigga I would not try to disagree
>>
>>7855253
Don't try Chino-Japanese nonsense, you need a mantra.

I've heard some Orthodox bros can enter a kind of meditative state with what they call the "Jesus Prayer." It roughly goes: "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me, a sinner."

Maybe that's not for you, but find something similarly focusing and peaceful and intense, and just repeat it under your breath, timing it to your breathing. Say something when you inhale and something when you exhale.
>>
>>7855253
Yea, I'm sticking with my theory. People who spend their day socializing are in need of some concentrated solitude as a stress relief. For those of us who mostly keep to ourselves and our own thoughts, meditation is useless.

That's why you have all these go-getter self-help gurus chalking it up. They keep themselves busy and immersed so some time spent alone with thoughts is a kind of rare treat. See: Tim Ferriss. Those inner-city housewives are likely involved in a lot if community activities and also view time alone with thoughts as a novel concept.
>>
>>7855286

I mean, I'm not opposed to your theory, but the whole Harris thing kind of makes me curious

He seems unabashedly introverted and reflective, yet he describes his meditation sessions as tranquil, and, the staunch atheist he is, can only describe it as a "spiritual experience".

So wtf am I missing out on. Some kind of euphoric quasi hallucinogenic state?
>>
>>7855297
>he seems introverted

I don't buy it. He traveled the world for a while (went with groups of people all over india trying to find somebody truly enlightened). He's currently married and gives talks all over the country. He has a podcast with guests and just co-authored a dialogue book

His heavy psychedelic use undoubtedly contributes to whatever his perception and experience has been of anything spiritual. He admits to this in Waking Up.
>>
>>7855325

Tbh senpai it sounds like you're saying that we're too autistic, and by extension not normie enough, to experience the benefits of meditation

Which I'm also not opposed to
>>
>>7855379
Not necessarily. An autist can spend all day building a minecraft fort with his buddies and then benefit from quiet introspection.

A functional member of society who reads or gardens as opposed to hitting up the bar on a Saturday would have little use for another period of introspection.
>>
>>7855421
I'm quite extroverted and I can't meditate. I just feel uncomfortable and thoughts race through my mind like they do all day. Supposedly, when one meditates properly they experience no thoughts at all. This is just as different from reading or gardening as it is from going to the bar.
>>
>>7855140
Disregard the self-help aspect of meditation. It isn't about having you be alone with your thoughts, that's just introspection. It is about changing the way you experience things, by making you notice the impermanence, unsatisfactoriness and selflessness of stuff. This can't be explained, you have to grasp it by yourself through the meditation practice, by noticing yourself how reality comes crashing in non-stop, by paying attention.
>>7855253
Of course being unconfortable can be a deterrent to meditation practice. I don't know what to recommend you though.
>>
>>7855458
>Supposedly, when one meditates properly they experience no thoughts at all.

NO. This is not what happens, that is complete bullshit. That only happens after much experience with meditation. The purpose of meditation is to observe, observe the thoughts that will inevitably run through your head, but nothing more. Don't attach meaning or judgement to anything that enters your mind, you will have thoughts come to mind and they will lead to more thoughts. The more you try not to think the more you will think and just cause tension. Things will eventually settle down, but don't have any expectations. Don't expect to just sit there and suddenly something special and enlightening happen, it won't. Learning to distance one's self from one's incessant thoughts and through the quiet observation find their associative source and allow the brain to sort things out and quiet down on its own without intervention from the executive function is the point of meditation.

You don't have to sit to meditate either, you can be washing dishes, cleaning house, making tea, whatever, that is the zen approach to meditation. Athletes for instance do this, they call it "entering the zone". Its very relaxing and thought and action become very fluid and automatic. I wouldn't start there though, sitting quietly observing is the way to start.
>>
Nietzche facts:

1. He was addicted to masturbation
2. He was terrible with women
3. He probably had siphylus after having sex with a prostitute
4. He had terrible physical health
5. He had terrible mental health
6. The few people he engaged with during his time in Sils-Maria disliked him
7. Most of his adult life he was a beta NEET hikikomori
>>
>>7855482

>I literally have no fucking clue what I'm talking: The Post
>>
>>7855486
Facts are facts my frustrated friend. What's wrong, upset that your idol was actually a beta cuck propagandist?
>>
>>7855478
IMO, equating mystical states like dhyana or samadhi or nirvana with "being in the zone" like an athlete seems to indicate a serious misunderstanding of Buddhism / Yoga. But then again, how would I know? I can't meditate as previously stated.
>>
>>7855529

I was equating "being in the zone" with a meditative state, not with deeper states of meditation which are more akin to deep psychedelic experiences. Most people never get to those levels of meditation and shouldn't expect to because it takes enormous amounts of devotion to meditation, breathing practices, etc, without some sort of chemical aid.
>>
>>7855501

Nietzsche is far from my idol, but half those things you said are either demonstrably false or based on hearsay. If you are going to attack someone at least do your research, and not just what you can find on wikipedia
>>
>>7855539
What's the point of doing it if I can't reach those states? You're saying I should just take acid instead? I can be devoted if I want.
>>
>>7855567

People assume that they are going to hit some grand level when meditating when they probably aren't. You can take acid or shrooms and get there much easier sure, just like you can either climb a mountain or take a helicopter, but generally using your own abilities to climb the mountain so to speak brings a greater sense of fulfillment and accomplishment. Taking the psychedelic route isn't cheating though, so to speak. I've done it myself, and it's generally a sure bet that you can go very deep. The only problem with psychedelics is that when you go that deep, you're there and you're not coming back for a long time. I can easily just stand up and walk away from meditation.
>>
>>7855567

And I didn't really answer you question yet.

The main thing about simple meditation without considering illumination is that it relieves tension in a way that no other normal activity does, it also brings more clarity to thought and reduces impulsiveness
>>
>>7855581
>>7855597
Yeah. Well, I've done psychedelics before. Would like to reach a mystical state sober. I have fairly clear and non-impulsive thoughts so I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in what sort of regimen would be necessary to reach that state again.
>>
>>7855624
lots of breath work
>>
>>7855624
>I'm interested in what sort of regimen would be necessary to reach that state again.

Read everything you can on breathwork. I have a hard time with it personally but from what I understand it is one of the best techniques to guide yourself deeper. You are basically simulating the breathing patterns you would normally have in these states (which occur in sleep as well) to bring about the mental state. Its more difficult than it sounds because while controlling your breathing you have to keep your mind clear and continue observing, and you slowly transition into the breathing exercises. Eventually like any other training it becomes second nature, but don't let me sound conceited because I'm not competent by any stretch
>>
>>7855597
>relieves tension in a way that no other normal activity does, it also brings more clarity to thought and reduces impulsiveness
drugs can do all these spectacularly
>>
>>7855635

You're right, but you have the ability to do these things on your own as well with practice and that's not anything to scoff at, it's facinating imo
>>
>>7855624
>I'm interested in what sort of regimen would be necessary to reach that state again.

Look up Crowley's Eight Lectures on Yoga

pay special attention to the sections on Asana and Pranayama

you can find pdfs and online texts of the lectures easily via google
>>
>>7855646

I wouldn't suggest Crowley to anyone that doesn't understand hermetic symbolism very well otherwise he can be confusing as fuck
>>
>>7855654
Read them, amigo

They're written to be an intro for people who don't know anything in the clearest possible language.

Also he avoids hermetic reference almost entirely in these lectures if i'm not mistaken
>>
>>7855654
here are the first three paragraphs, to sample:

"It is my will to explain the subject of Yoga in clear language, without resort to jargon or the enunciation of fantastic hypotheses, in order that this great science may be thoroughly understood as of universal importance.

For, like all great things, it is simple; but, like all great things, it is masked by confused thinking; and, only too often, brought into contempt by the machinations of knavery.

(1) There is more nonsense talked and written about Yoga than about anything else in the world. Most of this nonsense, which is fostered by charlatans, is based upon the idea that there is something mysterious and Oriental about it. There isn't. Do not look to me for obelisks and odalisques, Rahat Loucoum, bul-buls, or any other tinsel imagery of the Yoga-mongers. I am neat but not gaudy. There is nothing mysterious or Oriental about anything, as everybody knows who has spent a little time intelligently in the continents of Asia and Africa. I propose to invoke the most remote and elusive of all Gods to throw clear light upon the subject-the light of common sense."

They're really good lectures, i'm not fucking around here
>>
>>7855697

It's almost spooky to see Crowley tone it down to this level lol. I'll have to check it out.
>>
My preacher told me that meditation is witchcraft, is he right, what should I do now?
>>
File: irl green pill.jpg (331 KB, 1646x1320) Image search: [Google]
irl green pill.jpg
331 KB, 1646x1320
>>7855140
I hope you have read Prometheus Rising, The Kybalion, Jung's Red Book, and Evola's Intro to Magic...
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.