[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is military history literature's comfiest and most hidden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7
File: 47065.jpg (80 KB, 426x629) Image search: [Google]
47065.jpg
80 KB, 426x629
Is military history literature's comfiest and most hidden treasure?
>>
So hidden nobody wants to reply to this thread
>>
File: del.jpg (22 KB, 344x344) Image search: [Google]
del.jpg
22 KB, 344x344
SGM Eric Haney wrote a book about his time in a counter-terror unit that while being alternating flavors of hilarious and sad, remains through and through 'comfy'.
>>
the thin red line
naked and the dead

are all I have read. the naked and the dead sucked harddd
>>
Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton is great. The guy was a F-16 Wild Weasel pilot (WWs are the airplanes tasked with destroying enemy air defenses) in Desert Storm and OIF, and was also a combat training instructor. So probably one of the top F-16 pilots in the US military before he retired.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (11 KB, 180x281) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
11 KB, 180x281
plebs pls
>>
File: clauswitz is useless.jpg (535 KB, 981x656) Image search: [Google]
clauswitz is useless.jpg
535 KB, 981x656
>>7854211
>>
>>7854588
It doesn't really matter if it's outdated or not, the book was and is hugely influential.

Nobody here is actually going to war, so it doesn't matter in the slightest how applicable any of the information in the literature is.

shoot yaself you dumb weeb
>>
>>7853836
I don't understand the question,
But the book was miles better than the film.
I am glad I read the book, because if the film came out before I read this, I would have skipped it.

And that explains a lot about the American mindset, the movie was pretty propaganda.

Millions more Americans will watch the movie who won't read the book, which had at least 20% less 'AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!' and 20% more about the Somalian experience.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (82 KB, 1919x1033) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
82 KB, 1919x1033
>>7854588
you're supposed to start with it, along with art of war and other such classics, it's basically the greeks of military literature

after you move onto boyd and other more modern writers

http://www.slideshare.net/noobgank/patterns-of-conflict

I mean you want to understand war right? Not get some pseudo.entertaining narrative of it
>>
File: How to Make a Girl Laugh(1).jpg (64 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
How to Make a Girl Laugh(1).jpg
64 KB, 500x333
>>7854211
>He reads the Michael Howard translation
>>
What is modean war?
>>
>>7856028
>Er sieht auf andere herab wenn sie den "falschen" Übersetzer lesen, obwohl er selbst kein Deutsch kann
>>
>>7853836
That's a funny way to spell; We Were Soliders Once...And Young
>>
>>7853836
Yeah, and it also shows you how much damage has been done to Western lit by academia.
>>
>>7854671
Speak for yourself.

While On War is definitely influential its basically Westphalian view of states is outdated. The DoD ties itself in knots trying to apply Clausewitz's concept of a center of gravity, in particular, to modern warfare.
>>
File: Bravo_Two_Zero.jpg (25 KB, 220x364) Image search: [Google]
Bravo_Two_Zero.jpg
25 KB, 220x364
>>
>>7856028
As opposed to what? That's the version on the syllabus for JPME courses, which were put together by the NDU.
>>
>>7857181
DoD is strugglig to apply pre-Iraq literature to its doctrine in an age where Global terrorism is the number one threat and states are moving away from convential warfare towards hybrid
>>
For my student teaching I taught a cold war narratives class and everyone liked it so I'd say yeah from personal experience
>>
yeah one of the best selling books of the last 20 years is a pretty hidden treasure
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.