[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /lit/ fall for the "older is better" meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Sam_Harris_18179.jpg (590 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
Sam_Harris_18179.jpg
590 KB, 2560x1536
Why does /lit/ fall for the "older is better" meme?

Like: Mozart HAS to be better than modern music. Because >muh culture

Or: Hegel HAS to be a better thinker than Sam Harris...

Why?
>>
I like my books the opposite of how I like my women: old, worn-in, and with lots of things to tell me.
>>
>>7853573
Sam Harris is the guy who wrote a terrible book about his theory that there is a universal code of morality and when his book got completely panned he wrote a long butt hurt essay responding to his critics. He then created a contest to see who could disprove him and the winner would win 2,000 dollars. If someone managed to change Harris' mind, they would win 20,000 dollars. Someone won the 2,000 dollars but of course no one won the second prize.
If you actually think this guy is an important figure in the field of philosophy you're a child.
Also, saged.
>>
>>7853573
objectively mozart is better than modern music in terms of musical techniques used in his compositions compared with that of modern songs of any type, but by this measurement music peaked in the late romantic era with Chopin, Rachmaninoff and those insane guys and just declined from then with the advent of modernism and minimalism and the degeneracy we call pop culture today, and the same is pretty much with all other art forms to varying extents
>>
>>7853589
Well what Hege was for the 18th century and Marx for the 19th and Heidegger for 20th, Sam Harris is for the 21th, basically the "spirit of the time" embodied in an individual...

But no, it's impossible a modern day philosopher would be as important as the "OLD ONES " right?
>>
It's the same people who force themselves through old movies with poor production that their parents told them are great and which they have deluded themselves into 'believing' they enjoy.

Harris annihilates Hegel's obfuscatory nonsense in beautiful brushes of clear imagery.

But people here have seen him on Joe Rogan podcast and find it easy to tear that down so they refuse the obvious truths.

It's just another hipster club, it's the post high school manifestation of resentful unhappy kids who wish they could have been in the cool group but could not so they lash out at the obviously superior and more popular figures.
>>
>>7853597
>implying "more complicated" is necessarily better
>>
Because:
>old has time to gain prestige
>nostalgia
>juvenoia
>most of the times older IS better.
>>
>>7853599
>Harris annihilates Hegel's obfuscatory nonsense in beautiful brushes of clear imagery.
Excellent! Well said!
>>
>>7853598
I would absolutely be interested in the words of a modern day philosopher.
I just don't think Harris is a philosopher in any sense of the word. He's a complete dilettante who's only in it for the money.
>>7853599
Sick fallacies
>>
>>7853598
>Sam Harris is for the 21th, basically the "spirit of the time" embodied in an individual

I seriously hope not since harris a retard
>>
>>7853598
This is poor, poor bait. Please try harder next time.
>>
>>7853605
>upvoted, my good sir!
ah, this thread makes complete sense now
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7853601

it is though, all non-OCD individuals would find romantic era music more appealing than their baroque and classical counterparts because of the greater depth to it. The same is with writing, which is why you guys prefer Dostoevsky over JK Rowling
>>
>>7853599
>2016
>not loving John Ford flicks
>falling for the presentism counter-meme

Wow
>>
>>7853573
Because Harris didn't even build his philosophy off of anyone else's work like most older philosophers did
He just took a hit from his 1000 dollar bong and came up with his stupid, baseless theories
>>
File: Ferneyhough_-_Unity_Capsule.jpg (315 KB, 1600x1160) Image search: [Google]
Ferneyhough_-_Unity_Capsule.jpg
315 KB, 1600x1160
>>7853597
>>7853622
Therefore, Brian Ferneyhough is objectively the greatest composer of all time.
>>
>>7853599
'Better real confusion than false clarity, and better real darkness than false or misleading light.'
>>
Mozart is better than modern music because he understood the theory of music, the way harmonies worked etc better than most people now. Hegel is better than Sam Harris because Hegel wasn't a fucking retard.
>>
>>7853647
reductio ad absurdum more, fag
>>
>>7853661
He did the same thing with Chopin, Rachmaninoff etc. Claiming that they somehow represent the apex of western music, simply because they cram a large amount of notes and extended harmonies into their "music", ignoring the fact that neither could develop their way out of a wet paper bag.
>>
>>7853658
>he fell for the music theory meme
field recording master race reporting in btw
>>
>>7853598
Bad bait or not thanks for the laugh
>>
>"you guys think older is better!"
>ignore the fact that 99.9~% of all time periods thinkers/creators are forgotten entirely, and misunderstand that to be among histories greatest minds you would have to be a statistical anomaly.
>somehow willing to assert that these people should be readily seen today and also that they will be just as influential/articulate, etc, in terms of all the other variables that can't be known about a thinker until later.

Epic
>>
Because Hegel is timeless
>>
>>7853573
Decadence poisons all forms of culture. Sure a few works might go through the cracks but anything noteworthy is still less likely.
>>
>>7853882
/thread
>>
>>7853573
Just remembered why I have Sam Harris as a filter.
Be ashamed OP
>>
>>7853573
>Mozart HAS to be better than modern music. Because >muh culture

Who says this?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.