[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here fell for the Paris meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 500x333
Who here fell for the Paris meme?
>>
The Paris of the novels is not the Paris of today.

Today, it's mainly a giant toilet with some people living in it, looking for that last place where no-one has pissed yet.

A similar fate befell Vienna (see World of Yesterday) - from cultural center of the world to nothing.
>>
untravelled poorfag here. Any unironical answers as to what changed in Paris and Vienna of today to make them not /lit/ places anymore? (tl;dr on the whining ausfag's memoir)
>>
>>7853253
emblematic places turned into touristic traps filled with annoying niggers trying to sell you shit every two steps, dirt in the streets and having to avoid gypsy scammers and pickpockets wherever you go
>>
>>7853253
immigrants. seriously. immigrants, refugees, gypsies/travelers, tourists (notably the chinese, notoriously wasteful and disrespectful to places they travel)
>>
Same thing that ruined every other capital in Europe, immigrants.
>>
>>7853260

T. Lying Redditor

Paris is mainly unpleasant because of the idiots there and the lack of government's funding on infrastructure and cleaning up the massive amount of dogshit anywhere. American tourists are much worse than Chinese tourists, but because of combination of idiots consuming societally driven propaganda against China and exceptionism for shitty American tourists you don't realise this, although none of them really matter. Gypsies/travellers, wot pleb??

pls go back to redit n die
>>
>>7853253
Capitalism and tourism
>>
>>7853253
The real answer is that all modern places have moved on and that to find literary culture you now have even more to make the assertive, pro-social effort to find it. i.e. against the possibilities of most people here

the I need to vent my frustration answer is immigrants. If there weren't people selling you silver eiffel towers on the street every now and then then Paris would maintain its grand charm of course
>>
>>7853266
t. Zhang
>>
>>7853269
>If there weren't people selling you silver eiffel towers on the street every now and then
try every single tourist destination, metro station (where they ogle and harass girls) and restaurant
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome

I honestly feel bad for people buying into the idealized vision of Paris as a romantic city in the heart of Europe. When people actually get there and realize it's a shitty ghetto with shit people everywhere they're so disillusioned that they have a fucking syndrome named after the immense disappointment that is Paris.
>>
>>7853253
Both world wars and the holocaust caused serious shifts in the demographic of Paris and Vienna. All Jewish creators of culture were murdered or emigrated to the US, which is why the US underwent such a cultural boom in the 60s, 70s. Paris rebounded somewhat in the 60s (think Sartre, de Beauvior) but after the fad of existentialism ended nothing new came.

In modern time, neoliberalism has killed the cultural worker. There is little leisure to develop thought, lots of competition, lots of labor for the sake of labor, always running, never stopping.

All those black guys and arabs selling you trinket bullshit aren't the problem, but they aren't part of the solution, either.
>>
>>7853275
I have tried that, I've lived there, it never happened as far as I saw.
do you seriously expect anyone to believe that immigrants harassed you/girls in every restaurant, tourist destination and metro station you went to?
>>
>>7853282
(Psst: He's an American, the only people who I've overheard saying the following in Paris: "We don't take the Metro, we're too scared of that")
>>
>>7853253
NIGGERS.

Europe is not Europe anymore.
>>
>>7853282
I didn't say that
>>
People dgaf about culture since the invention of the TV and especially since the invention of the internet. People can just sit at home and turn their brains off. No need to go out and create culture.
>you will never live in late 19th century
>>
It's hard to say which of the locals being digested into shit or the flies moving in happened first
Removing kebab wouldn't fix anything at this point desu
>>
>>7853286
Literally this. Took away its integrity for something much cheaper. It just crumbles in your fingers.
>>
Well fuck. Thought as much (capitalism neglects culture, cultureless immigrants drag things down further), but never though it was that drastic of a problem.

Hope the newer generations at large will become more immune to the over-stimulating environment of mass media. Otherwise I'm off to re-read Brave New World so that Paris becomes again the Paris from the novels.
>>
File: 1441555265057.jpg (283 KB, 2362x1575) Image search: [Google]
1441555265057.jpg
283 KB, 2362x1575
>tfw
>>
>tfw i liked Paris
>>
>>7853321
>cultureless immigrants drag things down further

But you shouldn't forget that some big immigrant names kept Paris' image alive for a few decades - Camus, for example, was a pied-noir from Algeria.
>>
I went to Paris recently and I liked it.
>>
>>7853329
For fucks sake, don't compare french immigrants from french colonies to dirty rape-apes and mudshits
>>
>>7853334
>brown people are good people if I randomly declare them so
>all other brown people suck

Your logic skills are off the charts
>>
>>7853329
There are no worthwhile immigrants anymore. All they want is ficki ficki with the brainwashed native girls.
>>
>>7853324
>but I won't tell you the alternative because then you will see what a ponce I am and it would be detrimental to my punditry
>>
File: Albert-Camus-009[1].jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Albert-Camus-009[1].jpg
30 KB, 460x276
>>7853338
Have you ever seen a picture of Camus? He was European, born in the French colony of Algeria. Justifying third world nigger immigration into Europe because a popular French writer immigrated from a French colony is beyond absurd.
>>
>>7853329
>>7853338
Camus was white tho.
>>
>>7853340
The alternative is isolationist nationalism, obviously.
>>
>>7853345
The majority of Africans in Paris come from the Maghreb, which used to be a French colony too. Are these automatically "good" to you now too? Or do you have to discard them because their skin is darker?

I really can't see your logic
>>
>>7853349
>The majority of Africans in Paris come from the Maghreb, which used to be a French colony too. Are these automatically "good" to you now too? Or do you have to discard them because their skin is darker?

No, I discard them because they are negroids and don't belong in Europe. Camus was European.
>>
>>7853331

I think it's because you went as a tourist and not as someone who wants to settle there, or who was lived there for some time. The same happens with other European capital cities.

t. living in London for an scholarship atm, would have loved to be here as a tourist but would not like to live here.
>>
>>7853348
>The alternative is something not possible in the third millenium
>>
>>7853266
>American tourists are much worse than Chinese tourists

they're pretty much the same, the only difference is that it's even harder to communicate with the chinese(not that they even want to much)

t. I lived in paris
>>
>>7853353
I think this is true to a degree. living in paris is expensive(especially if you want to live like in the movies, aka eat in restaurants, go to cafes, see culture etc.) and the pace and the masses of people and the lack of room(except if youre posh as fuck) wears you down.

it's not that unique anymore, it's just another metropole with a somewhat distinct aesthetic
>>
the middle class is too poor to live in london or paris with a decent life style.

it was the same 100 years ago, but before the non bourgeois would not travel for leisure and express their memoirs online where of course it is all about not having enough money to keep the filthy parisians away.
>>
>>7853324
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7APmRkatEU
>>
>>7853266
Lack government funding in infrastructure? They have the worst fucking government ever. They try to regulate and legislate everything.
>>
>>7853400
>yfw France had a ministry of information as recently as 30 years ago
>>
I've been to Paris three times and pretty much everywhere in Europe and of course you have to be careful at the metro and say no, thank you, to people trying to sell you stuff, but also on the Hollywood Boulevard, it's just a part of the whole experience. It's a beautiful city, yes, quite touristy, but it's definitely worth it. In Morrocco people literally grab you hand to go see what they are selling. Those who travel are used to such things and such small things shouldn't stop you from visiting.
>>
Capitals in general are pretty unpleasant nowadays

500k pop cities are the most comfy while still offering lots of opportunity
>>
>>7853277
>All Jewish creators of culture were murdered or emigrated to the US, which is why the US underwent such a cultural boom in the 60s, 70s
>All those black guys and arabs selling you trinket bullshit aren't the problem

I wonder who is behind this post.
>>
>>7853286
This, but also sandniggers. Especially sandniggers.
>>
>>7853349
Camus was of European ethnicity and culture, arabs and berbers are not.
>>
If one wished to travel to Italy and France and take in the culture of the cities, where should one go? Preferably places with lots of white people.
>>
Lit going full /pol/ today

it really is the shitskins though
>>
>>7853266
t. abullah el banouni
>>
>>7853354
>what is north korea?
>>
File: Idylls_of_the_King_1.jpg (340 KB, 916x1210) Image search: [Google]
Idylls_of_the_King_1.jpg
340 KB, 916x1210
>>7853324
https://youtu.be/BHoAQW_DBI4?t=2m38s
>>
What future cities do you see becoming literary? Riga would be my top pick.
>>
>>7853266
>EVERYTHING IS A WHITEY CONSPIRACY!!! NON-WHITEYS ARE ACTUALLY PERFECT

Seems legit.

Special camps soon, Reddit!
>>
>>7853241
This is true of everything.
The pyramids, the Great Wall, Machu Pichu, Chichen Itza, Rome, Athens, Istanbul - especially Istanbul

fucking everything.
>>
>>7853241

I don't get the Paris meme.
Been there, does not appeal to me in the slightest or even has this atmosphere of being the "literati" city.

I actually don't even care about there not being an intellectual capital of the world anymore.
I want to be where the decadence is at. So I'm guessing Shanghai is a great location for that.

To be really honest, I hate the "literary lifestyle". Dressing up like an existentialist and dorky haircuts and facial hair talking about Agamben or some shit, yet use buzzword-tier explanations for ISIS like "nothing to do with Islam" and agreeing with 4th century tier immigration waves.
>>
>>7853503
doubt there will ever again be "literary" cities, those times are gone

if I had to guess where the next bohemian/artistic congregation will be, it's somewhere in east asia, because of the combo of inexpensive living, lots of people entering middle-class wealth, and a vacuum of high art and bohemian intellectualism
>>
>>7853503
why riga
>>
>>7853514
>Dressing up like an existentialist and dorky haircuts and facial hair talking about Agamben or some shit, yet use buzzword-tier explanations for ISIS like "nothing to do with Islam" and agreeing with 4th century tier immigration waves.

this desu

the problem is that the normie cultural norms and political leaders are too grey and neutral and all-inclusive

there's nothing genuinely oppressive or inhuman left to rebel against. only the dumb fucks are attracted to that and rebel against windmills. the smart ones keep their mouth shut because they know there isn't a sensible way to be bohemian anymore. it's actually gotten to the point where being socially conservative is the new liberal, aka the unpopular, against the grain-option

intellectualism is so rare now. well it always has been, but it should be far more common by now since you don't need to work to not starve anymore.

but instead we have a bunch of dumb fucks following ideological fashions for the sake of appearances and to fill the pointlessness of their lives with something resembling activity
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 883x623) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 883x623
Where would you want to live if you had choice of any city in the world?

My first pick would probably be some smaller city in Japan if there wasn't this whole gaijin thing and language barrier, so this is my second choice.
>>
>>7853260
>not reading Karl Popper

The very reason Vienna was the top of the game in the 1900s is the same reason New York was top of the game in the 1960s: it was a crossroad of the world, where people from all around the world gathered and exchanged.
>>
>>7853270
>>7853478
>>7853504

Oh my god, an opinion differing from my completely unsubstantiated opinion! It must be from one of those coloured-people plebeians!
>>
>>7853338

Yea and Kipling was Indian, therefore let Pajeets' extended family into your country

Checkmate racists XD
>>
>>7853456
France I'm not sure but for Italy:
>places to stay
Florence
Verona
Sienna
Lucca
Rome if you have a lot of time to spend there
Venice even if it is a tourist trap
Peruggia
Amalfi/Positano
Portofino/Santa Margherita
>day trip
Assisi
Cinqueterra
Pompeii/Herculaneum
private car tour of Tuscany
Volterra
Pisa (don't stay here)

if you only have a limited time (say 2 weeks) I'd go Florence for 6 days and have 2 day trips, then split between Venice and Lucca/Sienna
make sure to eat wild boar
>>
When did /lit become /pol.

I suppose the morons always comment on threads like this, so there may be a selection bias.
>>
>>7853565
I don't know man, i came back to lit a few weeks ago and now it's infested with anti-semitic and far right bullshit straight from /pol/
>>
>>7853542
don't care about your gay post but
that's just ludicrous
>>
File: IMG-20160312-WA0008.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160312-WA0008.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Vienna reporting in.

Okay, it's not the cultural center of the world anymore, but it's still the city on top of e.g. ratings such as Mercer on quality of living, it's the second biggest German speaking city (after Berlin) and there's a lot going on. I was living in Germany the last 5 years and am glad I'm back, wouldn't know where else to go, except maybe some large and hip English city.
So I conclude the atmophere of creating ad a whole is different, I don't see why for whatever would happen, it couldn't happen here. Well maybe the fertility rate in Europe sucks and thats bad. 1.4 children per woman, and that even if 50% of the population has foreign roots and those have more babies
>>
I did a foreign internship at a research lab in Vienna, it actually felt like a nice city. Very well organised, respect for its historic value.

Also, if you like classical music like me, I don't think you can find a better and more diverse offering of concerts anywhere else in the world.
>>
>traveling to other multinationalism shithole

I can just go to Montreal... It's probably even nicer than Paris just different memes
>>
>>7853253
Niggers and arabs.

And it's not just their shit culture, foul body odor and ugly appearance, it is also how their presence tears at the very fabric of togetherness of the Europeans themselves, it destroys the trust in our societies.
>>
>>7853514
Taiwan reporting in, your best bet (or what you think is your best bet, rather) is Beijing.
>>
>>7853600
It's absolutely true. Chinese tourists are cultured or at least civilised middle age or old people. Americans and Germans here are the literal definitions of moronic uncultured copy paste look drunken chads.
You can't tell one Asian from another, but you can tell Germans and Americans from other tourists because they all dress the same and are loudmouth pigs in human skin that come here to waste their dad's money on drugs and sluts.
I fucking hate electronic music festivals, God fucking damn them.
>>
File: 1458962658623.jpg (44 KB, 620x429) Image search: [Google]
1458962658623.jpg
44 KB, 620x429
>>7853277
There is, if we are being honest very few jewish contributions to culture, science and philosophy that are actually worth a damn.

Their actual "contributions" are always found in tightly-knit jewish in-groups, wherein appealing to the aesthetic sensibilities of the white goyim are irrelevant for the economics of the practice (see: Abstract expressionism, FLUXUS, Downtown music)
>>
File: yablewit.png (218 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
yablewit.png
218 KB, 500x374
>>7853266
>T.
>>
>>7853659
>Chinese tourists are cultured or at least civilised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCLXZmMQNs
>>
>>7853253
The times have changed. In terms of the decline of Viennese literature the downfall of the Austrian- Hungarian Monarchy played a crucial role. As the other anon already said, a lot of intellectuals left before and during WW2. Another important part is the decline of the Kaffeehausliteratur or the Wiener Moderne, an intellectual movement around 1900 (fin de siècle) where writers, musicians and artists would meet in cafés to write, discuss etc. For literature one of most important groups was Jung-Wien, in which Arthur Schnitzler, Hugo von Hofmannsthal or Stefan Zweig were involved .
Well known artists who took part in other circles were Kokoschka, Schiele and Klimt. But over time the Kaffeehaus as a cultural institution lost its former appeal.
>>
>>7853666
I've never seen A loudmouth asian tourist. They just come in large groups, take pictures and spend money like civilised people.
Maybe it's not the Chinese, impossible to tell them apart. We get a lot of Koreans for sure. Japs too.
>>
>>7853671
you obviously haven't traveled and it's pretty easy to tell them apart
>>
>>7853666
niggas gotta eat
>>
>>7853676
I've been to Vienna, Prague, Bruxelles, Venice, Budapest, Barcelona and Dubrovnik, but yeah, they weren't long expeditions. We get Asians and I just assumed we got Chinese too. Either way, Germans and Americans are the worst.
>>
Dat Ass
>>
>>7853246
Sounds exactly like the Paris of Tropic of Cancer to me, nigga.
>>
>>7853686
Germans and Americans are shit no doubt but they don't hold a candle to Chinese
go to anywhere in Asia that isn't China and you will quickly see
>>
From reading Dumas and especially the Fantomas series, it seems the main difference from the Paris of yesteryear is that the man robbing and murdering you won't be a fat peasant named Jean Pierre, he'll be a skinny migrant named Abdullah
>>
File: 12.jpg (129 KB, 1600x600) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
129 KB, 1600x600
>>7853536
comfy rural north italy
>>
>>7853737
seconding this and I'm hopefully actually going to do it
>>
Has anyone else noticed Marine Me Pen looks like Gerard Depardieu in a blonde wig?
>>
>>7853619
It's not probably as nice, it's an order of magnitude nicer. Ther only thing Paris has going is history.

Also
>recently move to 100k pop city on other side of world.
>80% of shit is same and most restaurants are chains I had back home
>little to no independent cafes, there ones that aren't chains use branded coffee.
>I don't care if it's drip please just give me something not branded please God
>most restaurants I don't know are chains from here.

Having literal depression atm about this.
>>
>>7853754
You need to go somewhere rich and with as few non-.whites as possible you dummy
>>
>>7853737

What town is that? It's so pretty. ;_;
>>
>>7853694
I know the Chinese in China are trash, but those that do come here are okay, or in negligible number.
>>
>>7853536
>not moving to Japan and becoming a modern day Diogenes just by having American habits
Think of how easy it would be to become a meme philosopher in Japan right now.
>>
File: 12.jpg (121 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
121 KB, 1600x900
>>7853760
Comfy, small, and clean city-fortress of Palmanova.
>>
>>7853282
Really? Where did you live? Every person I've ever met from Paris talks about this, some try to qualify it by talking about the poor societal situations of ay-rabs n gypsies, but no one denies it
>>
>>7853340
there is no alternative. he's lamenting the inevitable. you can't turn back the clock - once mass media was invented we were set on our path to today and tomorrow.
>>
>>7853503
Sure, but no one wants it to. Everyone stay away.
>>
>>7853759
Hope so. I'll try again soon
>>
>>7853662
I love Fluxus, abstract expressionism, and downtown musix though
>>
>>7853810
I was in paris for several months and I never had a problem with immigrants, in fact I got along well with all the ones I met. though not being french helps, even if you look white

some of the northern and eastern suburbs are undoubtedly shit ofc tho but there's no reason to go into them
>>
Too many tourists. Otherwise it's nice. Nothing ever was actually as great as art and nostalgia make it out to be. Whether it's Paris, London, Rome or Vienna there have always been working class and poor people and dirt and all those things that didn't fit your favorite novel's narrative. You just have to share every noteworthy place with tourists nowadays which is a damn shame.
>>
>>7853857
>working class and poor people and dirt

>not soaking in the prole chic
>>
>>7853860
I love that stuff. I was in Prague once and it was weird, everything was just way too clean and new and devoit of real people. It felt like a Disney park.
>>
>>7853241
It's just a shithole

The true /lit/ place is a small comfy town nestled around natural beauties

Cities haven't been /lit/ tier in ages
>>
>>7853565
This isn't /pol/ but if you want the answer most of the shit head leftists who never came to discuss books but instead political ideologies mixed with some philosophy left with the creation of /leftypol/
These people were never interested in /lit/ they just wanted a place that wasn't /pol/
The fact that you couldn't see that is quite sad
>>
What's with /lit/ and rural shit?

If anything I wanna be in huge metropolises where I'm constantly bombarded with impressions and experiencing new and exciting things in the urban sprawl.

Why would you go to some farm and have nothing going on around you..
>>
>>7853909
Nature is the closest thing to the ideal that is beauty
That's what I think personally

I also just don't like the feelings I get in a city
Too much sensory overload and people that could die tomorrow and not affect my life I guess
>>
>>7853276
I had no idea. Very cool.
>>
>>7853909
Most it 4chan is from American flyover states. I can appreciate nature and big cities although right now I chose living in the latter.
>>
>>7853918

Nature is dumb, literally dumb.
Only romanticists think this way.
The "nature" you like is some momentary silence in the storm of ages.

Nature wants battered house wives, gang rape, paedophilia, crucified toddlers raped for years, human sacrifice, competition, torture.
Nature screams for this. Nature abhors pleasure, freedom, intelligence. Yes, even evolution, for it will throw bricks from the sky at it.
Nature is a sadist, an idiot. It's is a piece of shit.
>>
>>7853970
You misunderstood teleology of nature
>>
>>7853970
You seem mad at nature
Did it rape you?
>>
>>7853978

>lol its not yet finished, just wait
>>
>>7853970
What nature are you talking about? Nature wants fierce competition for exclusive mating right, it wants protecting your young and occasionally killing others. Attributing this beauty or horror to nature is dumb either way but at least get your horrors right.
>>
>>7853989
Teleology doesn't mean it's unfinished son
>>
>>7853970
Nature straight up farted in this woman's pussy after it sodomized her.
>>
>>7853565
With all the shit going on in Europe more and more are "becoming /pol/" every day.

Sorry, Marxismus.
>>
>>7853266
is it true that in Paris you never park with the handbrake on?
>>
>>7853663
the finnish language is naturally memetic
"regards" could never become a meme.
on the contrary "t." is a very simple way to implicate sender identity
>>
>>7854073
Honestly, this. With every declaration of a State of emergency, the increased militarisation as well as actual attacks, more and more people are becoming anti-immigration and shifting more to the right in their views.
>>
>>7853246
paris was always shit
>>
>>7853659
>cultured
Cultural revolution literally killed all the couth people and all you have is dirty peasant
>>
>>7853565
>>7853575

The world is changing rapidly and people are pissed. With all those books you've read I would assume you'd have a decent understanding of how people think.

It's not le /pol/ anymore, it's just stating the obvious.
>>
>>7854280
Cultured as in decent, quiet and generally not German chads.
>>
>>7853909
Either extreme is bad, huge metropolis or absent village.

The best are those couple hundred thousand population cities that combine city and nice landscapes so depending on your mood you can choose where to be for the day.
>>
i'm either going to be moving to south korea or france to teach english after i finish my degree, what towns in france are nice? i've heard very good things about strasbourg.
>>
File: 1360702230695.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1360702230695.gif
3 MB, 320x180
If Paris is full of dindus and Americlaps, what's the "new" Paris?
>>
>>7853282
Didnt use metro when i went there but yes every landmark had black people selling mini eiffel towers, lighters and fake rolexs
>>
I did, last year: I must have walked across every arrondissement. All through a massive disappointment. The Tulleries lack the uptight splendour of older days; Montmatre doesn't evoke anything but a grand touristic park; Gare Saint-Lazare is nothing like Monet depicted it. Everything is loud, jumbled and exuding racial tensions.
>>
>>7853253
The Dawn of the Muzzies
>>
>>7853253
they let fags and women into the government and then they let the pakis in.
>>
>>7853354
>what is Japan
>>
>>7855289
>Paris or Vienna
>Pakis
Are you stupid?
>>
>>7855291
Japan is an island; besides, immigrants don't dream of moving there.
>>
>>7853266
Go to bed Mao
>>
File: 1455841339543.png (68 KB, 354x191) Image search: [Google]
1455841339543.png
68 KB, 354x191
>>7855291
Are you talking about Japan Japan or neoliberal American-puppet Japan?
>>
>>7853241
I'll staying in Paris around 90 days in a house's friend. Is this a good idea? Basically because I got thinking what the hell I'm going to do most of the time alone since he goes to uni. Is a long time to stay?
>>
>>7853340
>well you pointed out that my flesh is rotting but since you're not an md in nephrology and infectious disease and youre not offering any solutions you sre a cock
>>
>>7853321
>Hope the newer generations at large will become more immune to the over-stimulating environment of mass media
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah
>>
>>7855335
well, you'll have the chance to see the Louvre relaxed.

Honestly its always ok to stay a long time.
You can take a lot of that time actually visiting places outside of Paris, and maybe outside of Ile-de-France itself.
Visiting Paris itself, you can pretty much do it in like a week and a half/two weeks, and that is considering you'll be visiting all kinds of museums, and visiting all the cool city places that still remain in Paris
>>
>>7855112
this website, and the internet in general
>>
>>7855195
welcome to globalism and the neo-liberal world
>>
>>7853257
Going to the tourist attractions was never literary, sounds like you made a pleb trip m8
>>
File: 1457389950332.gif (912 KB, 240x176) Image search: [Google]
1457389950332.gif
912 KB, 240x176
>>7853246

"Is this Africa?" - Japanese Girl goes on Paris vacation for her VLOG, can't believe her Eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkDzXuWhkk
>>
Paris being shit is a /lit/ meme by madpoors, pedantic tourists, and /pol/tards.
>>
I really hated Paris when I went there. A ton of tourists and just a lot of really weird people.

There were long lines to do anything and everything looked kind of rundown. A lot of mean people too. When I went to the Eiffel Tower there was a group of French guys harassing some girl who was a sweeper.

The whole city just seemed overrun by people who shouldn't be there and it was having a nasty reaction to it.

Other parts of France were okay though. I liked the country side and the south of France besides Marseille was awesome. Monaco was great too.
>>
>>7855678
>paris is shit according to lit, pol, europeans, tourists

so anyone that matters?
>>
>>7855678
how is it a meme?
Explain yourself. (without memes)
>>
>>7855678
I don't know dude, it was a lot worse than everywhere else in Europe I went.

London seemed more modern and cleaner. Other parts of France seemed more cultured and French. Germany, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands were all nicer as well and had more to do.
>>
>>7853241
hausmannization in the 1860s under Napoleon III had already gentrified the city and destroyed its medieval feel, though it did make the city area cleaner. Paris has since then always been a bourgeois city tbqh.
>>
>>7853268
>Capitalism
>bad
wew
>>
>>7853324
Good.
>>
>>7853354
I MEAN COME ON
>>
File: 3418914277_6c2bc75f6a.jpg (143 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
3418914277_6c2bc75f6a.jpg
143 KB, 500x400
I didn't fall for the Paris meme but I fell for the New York meme.

A year and eight months in Brooklyn. Never able to find a job, constantly bumming money off my family, taking whatever tasks would pay me even small amounts of money. I did land with a temp agency for a while, but after I finished my first circuit of office work with them, I was never assigned to any more jobs.

My writing went through an amazing transformation, though, and I met some great friends, so I'd probably say it was all worth it.
>>
>>7853246
Much like every large metropolitan area.
You know. Aside from those which have had strict laws policing behavior and cleanliness since before the city grew too big. Like Singapore.
>>
>>7855773
Assuming it's true, why is it "good" edgelord supreme
>>
>>7855830
Singapore is pretty shit too tbqh
mid size cities are your best bet atm
Tokyo and NYC I feel still are at their peak
>>
>>7855838
>Tokyo
>NYC
Jesus christ. Have you been to any of the places you mentioned in your post just now?
And I mean actually been there in person for more than a week.
>>
>>7855848
yes
>>
>>7853268
Only correct answer in thread.
>>
>>7855838
>NYC still at it's peak

depends on how u define peak, sort of like is SF at it's peak? depends if the peak is hippy counter culture, skateboard culture, gay culture or geek culture....hard to say. NYC is sort of the same. I'm ready to leave the metro area. It's been a good and bad 15 years, grew a lot (how can u not after that much time lol) but these days I see some appeal in being somewhere a little more obscure. The trick is finding a b-tier city that isn't surrounded by evil hill billies. North Carolina has some appealing urban areas but their new anti-trans laws are just stupid, not to mention they still have the death penalty. I'm mostly just sick of freezing to death in the winter and paying jacked up prices for basically everything.
>>
>>7855865
NYC is, figuratively speaking, a societal pipe organ on a pulpit of poop, being played by an obese child with dissociative personality disorder and tourettes.
Tokyo is the municipal equivalent of a conjoined twin suffering a heart attack and a stroke at the same time.
>>
>>7855890
a mealy mouthed reply
NYC and Tokyo are both pretty much the same as they've always been (NYC is arguably better)
if you don't like big bustling cities you're not going to like them but they're not the neglected brown swamps that European major cities have become
>>
>>7855902
Feel free to not take offense at the blatantly farcical post I made.
Neglected brown swamps? Are you from New York or what?
>>
>>7855918
NYC has always been multiracial and it's part of the appeal
plus now that it's gentrified you only get nice browns
>>
>>7855929
So 'yes' then?
>>
>>7855938
no I'm from Sydney
>>
>>7855943
Then I don't understand why you would take that post so personally but it does make sense that you would find NYC alluring however.
What do you have against Europe though?
>>
>>7855949
I didn't take anything personally
I have nothing against Europe, I would much rather live there than America in fact
>>
>>7855951
Your choice of words would certainly indicate otherwise.
>>
>tfw live just outside Portland and think it's just the right size surrounded by beautiful landscape

Too bad it's a liberal honeypot
>>
>>7855929
these days whenever I go into manhattan there seem to be a hell of a lot more bums, insanes and junkies all over the place than there was even in the 90s...people got so spoiled by guilliani and bloomberg that they forgot what happens to a massive city when you elect a liberal mayor: huge influx of homeless insane drug users see San Francisco and Seattle for extreme cases, but a few more years of Deblasio and we'll get there again
>>
>>7855985
fair call haven't been to NYC since 2011
>>
>>7855675
>tfw you realize that Japan has one of the world's highest HDIs (no. 20, next to fucking Luxembourg) with zero multiculturalism
>tfw you realize there is literally no benefit to importing millions of violent, stupid third worlders into your country
>>
>>7856086
>/pol/tards never know about the Ainu or the ethnic Koreans and Chinese or the Burakumin
>>
>>7853514
>I want to be where the decadence is at.
catch aids
>>
>>7853604
vienna is a fucking sepulchre dude.
>>
>>7856086
>tfw japan is a dying country
>>
>>7855875
Consider Richmond VA brother. I spent a few years there and loved it for the kindness found in people, the diversity of activities that will satisfy anyone, and the general lackadaisical attitude found.
>>
>>7856091
What do they have to do with anything?
>>
>>7856097
Not dying any faster than any white country. The only difference is that Japan doesn't have to bear the indignity of being overrun, having their culture fucking overwritten and their women violated by subhuman savages.
>>
>>7856101
>/pol/ doesn't understand something

can't say i'm surprised
>>
>>7856107
>their culture

what culture? their whole culture is just a rip-off of china anyways but with more porn
>>
>>7855838
That's a joke, dude. New York is full of navel-gazing, solipsistic narcissists. It has the rare distinction of being somehow even more self-absorbed than LA. As a result of its insularity, it's starting to decay. You will find nothing new in New York. It's cool if you like electro from the early 2000s and hot castrating jewesses, but you're not gonna find anything (culturally) past that.
>>
>>7856107
it is though because of it's aging population. and white culture isn't being overwritten. the only reason third worlders are even allowed into white countries is because of an implicit superiority of white ideas. non-white culture makes its way into white countries and finds it can be folded into white systems comfortably without actually challenging them because the third-worlder is still an 'other' regardless
>>
>>7856109
98.5% of people in Japan are ethnically Japanese.
>>
>>7856111
tentacles you mean, tentacles.
>>
>>7856125
>ethnically japanese

yup they just sprouted out of their rice paddies
>>
>>7856111
what is the name of the website you spend 9 hours a day shitposting on, anon?
>>
>>7856125
This is a really wishy-washy statement - with SNPs you can make as many clusters as you wish.

This paper, for example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2561928/

puts their ~7000 Japanese people into two clusters. Are these clusters "98.5%" Japanese? Only if you label them so. Okinawa is a strong outlier (for obvious reasons), are these part of the 98.5% Japanese?
>>
>>7856134
wow so the last 30 years japan has finally come up with something cultural to call it's own: tranny cartoons. two bad the last three thousand years before that where just an off brand china knock off
>>
>>7853246
Vienna is cool imho. Sure, it's not a great cultural centre, but it's still pleasant to live in, unlike Paris.
>>
>>7853754
Where are you in the world?
In asia, what did you expect?
The med is the only place to find cozy one offs
>>
>>7853246
You've clearly not lived in Vienna m8
>>
File: balii.jpg (221 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
balii.jpg
221 KB, 1600x900
Alternatively what do you think is the most "literary" city/place in your country? Bali is a nice mixture of traditionalism, hindis, and degenerates (hedonism)
>>
>>7853246
>Today, it's mainly a giant toilet with some people living in it

It was always that way
>>
When did /lit/ turn into fucking /pol/? Can you all please go back to your containment board? This thread is pathetic.
>>
>>7856849
can you go back to your containment continent
>>
Have any of you faggots even been to Paris for more than a day? If you move away from the 19th and Gare du Nord you quickly realise that it's not all about black immigrants and actually has a lot of beauty. I visited Paris years ago and I hated it. I've started living there and since living there I have really liked the city.

Of course if you're just a tourist you will be shocked by the black people but if you know what you're actually doing and don't hang around the tourist traps (literally anywhere that isn't the 19th arrondissement/Eiffel Tower quarter) you see a beautiful city.

Go to the streets to the west and north-west of le jardin du luxumbourg. My favourite area.
>>
>>7856086
>with zero multiculturalism

Yeah it only took two fucking nukes to step up that HDI
>>
>>7853375
I live in Levallois Perret (92300) and I pay 520 euros a month. It's really not too bad.
>>
>>7856873
how much migrants-free are place de la concorde and the austerlitz bridge?
>>
>>7856910
>concorde

Well considering that it's a major tourist hub (with bus-loads of chinese people coming every day) there's a few african immigrants selling you crap.

I would see these places once and then never again. There are whole beautiful neighbourhoods in Paris to explore that have almost no immigrants and certainly no annoying africans selling you little eiffel towers. Much of the northern section of the Marais is not only not busy but also packed full of lovely shops/cafe's (bit hipstery whatevs)/museums and almost no-one goes there...

I swear people must hold Paris up to some magical, impossible standard because almost every popular city in western Europe will have north africans selling stupid trinkets in the touristy spots. Barcelona, Madrid, Berlin (more gypsies), LOTS of places in Italy, etc.
>>
>>7853241
>French bookstore
>no gallimard books
Weak...
>>
>>7855875
You're not going to move somewhere because of anti-trans and capital punishment laws?

Wtf are you a tranny serial killer or something?
>>
>>7856919
>I would see these places once and then never again.

I want to stand in front of where louis XVI, danton, and robespierre have been guillotined.
>>
>>7855875
what """""anti"""""""" trans laws?
>>
>>7856873
SOUTH OF PARIS = GOOD

NORTH OF PARIS = VERY BAD
>>
>>7856873
This.
Paris is a beautiful city, you just have to learn to love it.

>>7857001
Rive gauche pour toujours.
>>
>>7855875
I usually just lurk here, but because I've lived in NC since I was born, I'll put my two cents in.

I absolutely love it here. I can't really imagine living anywhere else. If you're an outdoorsy kind of guy like me its pretty great. I don't go downtown much, but it's alright I guess. Charlotte has one major nightclub area (the epicenter) but most of downtown is banking. Raleigh is OK, but it makes you wonder why Charlotte isn't the capitol. Asheville is pretty sick. Lots of stuff to do, got a really nice small town feel. All in all, you can't really go wrong. You got the mountains in the west, beaches on the east, and in the middle you've got several great towns and cities. Some areas are a little country bumpkin, but not nearly as much as people think it is.

On the topic of the anti trans thing, sure, a lot of people are pissed off about it. It doesn't really affect me, and I don't personally know any transgenders so I can't speak for them either. If you want to know the truth, my life didn't change at all when that law was passed.

I'd love to answer any questions you guys have about NC though.
>>
>>7853777
>Diogenes
>On the indecency of him masturbating in public he would say, "If only it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly."

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>>
>>7856937
this, we can draw no other conclusion
i remember discussing with you, mr. trans serial killer, in a thread a month ago, btw
(yeah i know, you think you're a girl, and thus not mr, but i'm not indulging your mental illness)
>>
>>7853514
that image kek
also i agree with you
>>
>>7853253

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfkDzXuWhkk
>>
>>7853542
I actually suspect you're one of those sheltered whiteys who can afford to have politically correct opinions by virtue of his privilege.
>>
>>7853876
Sounds like you never left the tourist containment zone.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (49 KB, 635x452) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
49 KB, 635x452
>>7854231
I have noticed that the finnish humor is very postmodern

for example memes like spurdo and dolan are post-dadaistic masterpieces, where the naivist style becomes a tool of the humor that is both aimed at cultural criticism(for example, the fat burger-addict spurdo, or "jonne"-spurdo) and self-referentialness. It is humor that mocks both the object and the creator, making it the pinnacle of postmodern 21th century humor. Hipsters in New York and San Fransisco wish that they could organically create such insights.
>>
>>7853363
>they're pretty much the same
I never heard of Yanks shitting in the street
>>
>>7860142
nor have I of the chinese

however, the chinese rarely vomit shitfacedly on the streets at night
>>
>>7860142
>>7860145
You're both dumb.
Everything you've just mentioned happens in copious amounts in both countries.
>>
>>7853810
They're there. They don't do anything all that bothersome. The worst I experienced is being loud at night, which is not just them obviously.
>>
>>7853266
bollocks.
>but because of combination of idiots consuming societally driven propaganda against China and exceptionism for shitty American tourists you don't realise this
>implying this is a fact

>implying immigrants don't fuck shit up by trying to sell retarded tourists shit
>implying refugees, immigrants don't harm the Parisian culture due to their completely different culture and lifestyle
>implying gypsies aren't commonplace at every major town (e.g. Rome) trying to rob people and be literal cancer
You sound like you're not even trying, mate
>>
>>7853286
Wherever there is rot and degredation of the human spirit you'll get niggers.
With few exceptions brown people positively thrive on it; a race of materialistic philistines.
>>
>>7853689
lmfao, I just thought the same
>>
>>7853514
>To be really honest, I hate the "literary lifestyle". Dressing up like an existentialist and dorky haircuts and facial hair talking about Agamben or some shit, yet use buzzword-tier explanations for ISIS like "nothing to do with Islam" and agreeing with 4th century tier immigration waves.

yoink. I'm saving that , tee hee
>>
File: 1440203771949.jpg (50 KB, 464x444) Image search: [Google]
1440203771949.jpg
50 KB, 464x444
>>7853565
>"I don't like that Paris has become a 3rd world slum"
>"I don't like that London in minority English"
>"I don't like that parts of Brussels are ~95% non Belgian, and swarming with terrorists"
>"I don't like that America will no longer be post-European"
>"I don't like that Germany will become minority German"
>"I don't want America and Europe to become an Islamic Brazil"
>BIGOT RACIST HOMOPHONE ISLAM-O-PHOBIC

Get a grip. I imagine you're what, 16? maybe 20? Time to grow up and realize just how bad things are kiddo.
>>
>>7853666
The Chinese are like rats. They are the rudest and most uncaring people I have ever met.
>>
>>7860437
>Get a grip. I imagine you're what, 16? maybe 20? Time to grow up and realize just how bad things are kiddo.
What are you, 12?

Time for mods to delete this /pol/fest, they have their own board.
99.999% of posts weren't about books or literature, just retards masturbating into their own faces.
>>
>>7853284
Why are Americans such cowards?
>>
>>7853511
I actually loved Istantinople for how chaotic and multi-layered it was.
>>
>>7853266
>Paris is mainly unpleasant because of the idiots there
Yes, and the idiots there are mainly immigrants. Fuck off and die, Redditor.
>>
>>7860462
He's right though, you don't need to be from /pol/ to realise that taking all the people from shitty countries and putting them in good countries will make the good countries like the shitty countries.
>>
>>7857001
there's unironically nothing to do in Paris Sud. The south is so dead. East Paris is where it's at

>>7860437
>it's a american post
>>
>>7860876
how would you divide paris to east, north south etc paris? along what lines?
>>
>>7860876
>Where are the best independent cinemas?
>Where are the best bookshops?
>Where are the best librairies?
>Where are the nicest districts?
>Where are the best parks?
>Where are the catacombs?
Rive gauche is the best.
>>
>>7860900
The Seine is the boundary between the north and the south. It's more subjective for the east and the west.
>>
File: 1457597087194.jpg (119 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1457597087194.jpg
119 KB, 600x600
>>7860904
>Where are the best independent cinemas?
true, quartier latin is goat
subjective
>Where are the best librairies?
also true
East Paris
>Where are the best parks?
I prefer Monceau and Buttes Chaumont but the south have nice parks, true
>caring about catacombs

>>7860900
I find this map informative while staying pretty funny and kinda true
>>
>>7860907
>east and the west.

this is pretty much what I'm interested in

east as east from chatelet? or opera? for some apparently west starts from around 16th, basically only the posh paris
>>
>>7860934
east, for me, is on the right of Montmartre. West is on the other side
>>
>>7860932
pretty accurate
>>
>>7860934
east is also said to be between the Seine and canal st martin. but if you take it geographically I think it's pretty accurate (while taking the Seine into consideration)
>>
>>7860932

>subjective
Fair enough, but you have to admit that the quartier latin has a great concentration of heterogeneous bookshops.

>East Paris
I can see why you would think that, but I disagree. Like the bookshops it's subjective.

>caring about catacombs
I agree it's a poor point but there is some GOAT parties in the catacombs.

Also the map is pretty funny.
>>
Hourly reminder that the French are ripe for extinction.
>>
>>7861181
So is the rest of civilised Europe.
>>
>>7861230
So the entire western world then?
>Inb4 someone pretends the US isn't just an extension of europe
>>
>>7860352
it might be true to say that the materialists among poor nations are the most likely to leave their homes, families, etc in pursuit of western wealth. It is also true that they imagine our societies to be intensely materialistic—and that has a certain draw for materialists.

I don't see why that needs to be a racial thing.
>>
>>7860932
that map is dead on
>>
>>7861418
Average IQ in Africa is 70. They're literally retarded.
>>
>>7860932
why are smokes cheap in the north?
>>
>>7861446
that's why they're capitalists
>>
>>7853561
can attest to this anon, Rome and Florence are worth it.
I've been living in France for a while and haven't yet found a worthwhile city around here.
>>
>>7853536
Don't fall for the Germans are white and cool people, anon. Germans suck.
>>
>>7855675
>Idealized image of Paris – it is also speculated as manifesting from an individual's inability to reconcile a disparity between the Japanese popular image and the reality of Paris. The Japanese often picture Paris as a land of dreams, the land of beauty, culture and romance. However, they soon find out the contrary when they visit Paris for the first time. They find it to be a very regular place, the facilities are disorganized, many areas are unclean, and life characterized by noise, not like what was in their imagination.
>>
>>7861451
they aren't the regulated ones
>>
>>7861446
it might be true to say that the materialists among poor nations are the most likely to leave their homes, families, etc in pursuit of western wealth. It is also true that they imagine our societies to be intensely materialistic—and that has a certain draw for materialists.

I don't see why that needs to be a racial thing.
>>
>all these posts saying the same things over and over

god can /pol/ read?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.