[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do People Celebrate to Mask Existential Dread?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: bobo-dread.jpg (41 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
bobo-dread.jpg
41 KB, 350x263
Hey /lit/,

I'm a bit of an autist sometimes, but I have also partaken in social life, celebrations and had plenty of reasons to celebrate myself. However, I have never felt "celebratory" in my life: When I went out clubbing, then either to dance to loud music or to get laid.

I don't understand what I means to celebrate, I don't understand what there is to celebrate about. An accomplishment? Some arbitrary date? Why should I celebrate either? If I incured discomfort to achieve something then that discomfort has passed and celebrating won't ease it. If I have achieved something, then celebrating won't increase or diminish my achievement.

I'm 25 soon, and I've just never understood it whatsoever. Now, I've found my own way to deal with existential dread; and I assume every rational being must feel some variant of it. However, it occurred to me, that maybe some people still haven't found a way, so that is maybe they celebrate.

That, or all people celebrate as an excuse to get laid, make social contacts, take drugs, etc.
>>
It like sounds like by "celebrate" you mean celebrating in groups, in which case it's not dread we're dealing with; it's loneliness.

Celebrating by yourself...? Well, I don't know. It might also be a reaction to being alone. Beckett thought so when he described our inner voice, and Nancy calls it "jouissance," a state of constantly being born in which Being rejoices in the fact that it is.

I might have digressed a little...
>>
>>7852681
dancing is a celebration you autist
>>
>>7852716
Dance can have different (and identical) significance across cultures.
>>
>>7852716
It's not necessarily. It's just a physical activity to music. I could always dance with no reason or purpose whatsoever.
>>
>>7852681
"Every day I count wasted in which there has been no dancing."

/thread
>>
>>7852681
Maybe it doesn't feel right because it's not whole. What we need is collective art in which we celebrate a just and free society. So we have to make that and the collective art, and then the celebration will be good.

Or you have autism.
>>
Generally, people celebrate because of the joy that it gives their hearts, and people celebrate often because they wrongfully measure joy by the length of time in which they feel it.
(There's something to be said about the gross hedonism in these thoughts, but I don't have the time.)

However, those who truly love you--by any selfless definition of love--celebrate you out of the love they feel for you.

Your parents are the only people who want you to do/be better than themselves.

I hope this helps.
>>
it is basically to compensate for the frustrations imposed by society, which by definition are not debatable since they are the base of social cohesion. those compensations are allowed in areas which are socially irrelevant even if of course not presented as such.

if people begin to see this that is a sign of social decomposition slowly degrading the social corpus.

one cant unsee things, so my advise is to give up on those things that make no sense and build your own things, cause that is the only way the arbitrariness of human behavior can make sense. life cannot be pure behavior, it has to be meaningful and meaning is built as an experienced process not taken as an impersonal given.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.