[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some books with a Ghibli vibe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6
File: spirited_away.jpg (181 KB, 1500x1052) Image search: [Google]
spirited_away.jpg
181 KB, 1500x1052
What are some books with a Ghibli vibe?
>>
>>7852657
something shitty and overrated that only kids and hipsters like? try infinite jest.
>>
>>7852657
Are you talking "shit's magic" Ghibli like Totoro, Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, or the more normal ones like Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, etc?
>>
>>7852662
this. pynchon
>>
Marquez
>>
>>7852657
I'd recommend finding a big old book of old fairy tales.
>>
Try Kelly Link's short fiction, stories in the middle between magical realism and straight-up fantasy
>>
>>7852679
And also Little, Big from John Crowley
>>
>>7852657
The Last Unicorn has a very Western Ghibli feel.
But otherwise, literally any old Japanese folk tale and fairy tell will satisfy you (except for the WWII imagery... pretty hard to find those)
>>
The movie Howl's Moving Castle is actually based on a British fantasy book with the same name by Diana Wynne Jones

There's also Night on the Galactic Railroad, a famous Japanese fantasy novel
>>
File: 1419015395618.gif (988 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1419015395618.gif
988 KB, 500x281
Monitoring this thread
>>
ursula k le guin was a big influence on hayao miyazaki, known ghibli animator.
>>
Um no fuck this pleb cartoon shit OP. This is a fucking literature board, we only read shit with deep themes and messages. If you want to be patrician like us, read these:

Dostoevsky
Marcus Aurelius
Kafka
>>
>>7852657

Coraline by Neil Gaiman
>>
Shakespeare
>>
Murakami
>>
>>7852657
Have you read the actual book series of Howl's moving castle?

By Dianna Wynn Jones

The Ghibli "Earthsea" film was based on a book too.

Also Railsea by China Mieville
Mainspring by Jay Lake

Both felt industrial/questy/magic like Laputa and Nausicaa
>>
>>7852955

B8

>>7852662

Shitpost
>>
>>7853085
You meant to (OP) both times.
>>
To me Lafcadio Hearn has a similar but more eerie vibe, lots of ghost stories. http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi//kwaidan/index.htm http://www.readbookonline.net/stories/hearn/574/
>>
>>7852657
Otogizoshi the great fairytale book
>>
>>7852662
>liking something that's popular is now hipster

Fucking really?
>>
File: Nausicaa_is_best_Ghibli_girl.jpg (446 KB, 1010x1222) Image search: [Google]
Nausicaa_is_best_Ghibli_girl.jpg
446 KB, 1010x1222
>>
>>7852657
You mean incoherent and hard to follow?

I like some of their movies (Grave of the Fireflies, Kaguya) but Miyazaki's work - although beautiful - is often pretty overstuffed. Damn, guy doesn't even bother writing a screenplay - he just sits there and draws whatever comes to his mind. And it shows.
>>
The Master and Margarita
>>
>>7853766
This post was a mistake.
>>
Kafka on the Shore, except replace the main character with a young girl
>>
>>7853766
Way to out yourself as having the attention span of a six year old
>>
>>7853766
>hard to follow?

not really when you get that they don't want to hit your rational thinking faculties, they want to hit your subconscious

that is why people like spirited away so much for example, even though they can't quite verbalize it, they say it's the story and the visuals, but the main thing actually is that it's a precision strike to the subconscious

the train scene for example is pure genius on so many levels
>>
>>7852675
I read like the first 30 pages of 100 Years of Solitude last night and this thought immediately popped into my head. Has that bizarre fantasy feel similar to ghibli films.
>>
>>7854234
>the train scene for example is pure genius on so many levels
Could you explain what you mean?
>>
>>7853766
>incoherent and hard to follow

i can't believe an actual imbecile would waste their time here on /lit/
>>
>>7854314
it's been a while since I've last seen it but

first you have the train. they get at one stop, sit down, then get off at a much later stop

then there's the way the other passengers are depicted, like shades, almost nonentities

then there's the way chicihiro and noface sit, silent, the way they're positioned and their body languages tells a lot about their relationship, about the characters, and human relationships in general. chichiro is slightly turned(not in OP's pic though), chin up, looking out of the window. she's grown during the story, she was timid as hell, and she's the leader, noface looks forwards and down, part in shame of what he did, part out of lack of self confidence, feeling unlovable and unworthy, which is what drove him, so he's seeking salvation in the stronger person, chichiro

then you've got how the train is on water, this is like straight out of a dream, this is very hard to explain verbally why it's so powerful but it might be the most genius thing about the entire scene. it's a beautiful representation of what time feels like when looked at a distance. when years blend together and you can't separate days anymore, months are indistinct, it's all just a flow of memory and time

all these distinct elements also add to each other and become more than the sum of their parts

like I said it's been a while since I've last seen the scene, and this is the kind of stuff that's hard to verbalize properly
>>
>>7854390
that was nice

i love spirited away

whisper of the heart is my favorite though
>>
>>7854423
I like whisper too, though I like all their movies desu

started liking mononoke a lot once I realized how simple but genius the main plot is

you have displaced humans moving out and settling in a forest

this angers the forest spirits, they attack and the humans fight them with poisoned stones and firearms

this enrages the spirits and starts a cycle of hate and war

it's an action movie with talking boars and wolves but it's more mature than 99,9% of films. neither side is in the wrong exactly. both need to live. where else could the humans go? and how do you expect the spirits to react when their home is invaded and forests destroyed?

also I like how the protagonist is a badass(part demon), but doesn't abuse his power and the power is in fact a curse, killing him slowly, which is far better than the usual "badass by default", because everything comes with a price

of course the film is an allegory about nature in modern times. we're committing ecological destruction but who's going to tell people "you must not have that living room or those products and resources"? no angry spirits anymore to do that either, they died long ago

btw in a disney flick the spirits wouldve been cutesy or "wise", cleverer than humans or other kind of harmless caricatures. not here, they're violent and terrifying, full of hate and grief for the fate the humans have doomed them to. and they're not perfect, they're not idealized, they're proud and stubborn

also the movie has a happy ending but miyazaki said somewhere that it really wouldn't, at least he doesn't see any way to solve the central conflict, but he can't make a movie that says "there's no hope"
>>
>>7854331
I hope you are really proud of yourself of writing this post.
Can't believe there are people on /lit/ who don't understand that other people may be uncaring to some arts. As I said - I appreciate Miyazaki's work, but his pacing and plots are often troubled and end up being boring. I feel like anything can happen in his stories and that makes be indifferent to what happens (if anything can happen, then why should I care?). It's just a matter of a piece of work. For example - one of my favourite anime movies is Perfect Blue, which narrative is also quite chaotic, but hell...this is something spectacular that hits me on so many levels.

>>7854234
Good to know there are actual people here on board.
>>
Who's seen Graveyard of the Fireflies?

Who cried like a baby?
>>
I posted this before but got no replies, this thread seems fitting.

I'm looking for something similar to Princess Mononoke in setting - not the usual ogres and dragons but instead a more mythical feel like forest spirits, guardians etc.
>>
>>7853665

IRREFUTABLE
>>
>>7854522
>movie has a happy ending but miyazaki said somewhere that it really wouldn't, at least he doesn't see any way to solve the central conflict, but he can't make a movie that says "there's no hope"

I can believe this. I think he went out and did that with the Nausicaa manga, where he had less limiting him.
>>
>>7853766
>>7854846

You do realize that Spirited Away is actually coherent plot wise, that the characters have well defined motivations and that all their actions can be sensibly explained in context? Unless you just watched the English dub, in which everything more or less is unexplained nonsense, I don't know what you're complaining about.
>>
>>7852789
Earthsea books are dope and exactly what OP's looking for. The movie Ghibli made is shit though,
>>7853079
I thought this as well but there's too much weird sex. Murakami's books always feel as if they'd make prefect David Lynch movies but.
>>
>>7853766
>>Damn, guy doesn't even bother writing a screenplay - he just sits there and draws whatever comes to his mind. And it shows.
>He doesn't know about the open work
>>
>>7854423
my nigga. Most underrated ghibli film tbhfam. You should watch Only Yesterday if you haven't already. It's kind of similar to whisper of the heart but it's from a more mature/adult perspective.
>>
>>7853124
>that one story about the egg-faced lady

fucking SPOOKED me
>>
>>7853665
>not san

shit taste familia
>>
File: tove jansson - the summer book.jpg (13 KB, 217x346) Image search: [Google]
tove jansson - the summer book.jpg
13 KB, 217x346
>>7852657

very cozy in a ghibli sort of way
>>
>>7854864
>I posted this before but got no replies

In general if you want tons of replies on 4chan you have to post something divisive. Spirited Away causes the most arguments due to its' popularity and acclaim. It keeps the thread bumped so you can find the occasional insightful post.

Basically you have to dig up 2000 pounds of earth to find an ounce of gold.
>>
>>7856509
this about cancer right?
>>
>>7852662
bitch dont kill my vibe
>>
>>7852669
Nigga, nobody seems to appreciate the more normal films, despite them being perfect in every way.

> tfw nobody shares my love for Only Yesterday
>>
>>7852707
My nigga, The Last Unicorn is lovely.
>>
>>7853665
This is true.

tfw 12 year old me had the biggest crush on Nausicaa
>>
>>7854423
Whisper Of The Heart is so overlooked and I don't know why.
>>
anyone else here come from the moon to learn about human emotions, but had an absolute shit time with dating, and unintentionally called for the moon people to bring you back home?
>>
File: w9fNuEX.jpg (276 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
w9fNuEX.jpg
276 KB, 1920x1038
>>7854846
Ghibli's narratives are pretty straight forward. They just rely heavily on some prior understanding of fairytales, myths and archetypes. Not so much academic knowledge but just understanding on an emotional level. Children get it.
Some of it is more accessible to Japanese people though or there is another layer there that Japanese viewers can see more easily, but most of it is pretty universal.
And yes, everything can happen but not everything does just happen. Characters have their motivations and shit doesn't just happen for no reason. The reasons just aren't realism or science but the story's demands.
Maybe if you give some concrete examples of plot troubles we could see what you mean. Not trying to rub in how wrong you are. I just hear that complaint come up sometimes and I never did ask what they meant since.
To me it feels perfectly natural for parents who steal magical food to be turned into pigs as punishment. Or for a hurt nature god to run mad and destroy the lands. It seems like basic human narratives. I mean why did little red riding hood cut her way out off the wolf's belly, how did she survive being swallowed?
>>
>>7857700
my nigga
>>
>>7852776
Ahh what's this from
>>
>>7852677
This. Old school Grimm will do you up right. Avoid at all costs the Disneyfied versions.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (282 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
282 KB, 1920x1080
>>7860448
porco rosso
>>
>>7852657
fuck this thread is already pretty off-topic so let's just go all the way.

Favorite Ghibli film?
I personally love Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday and Castle of Cagliostro
>>
>>7860463
Cheers
>>
>>7860481
Totoro and Kiki both make me weep.
>>
>>7860481
hard question, I like most of them for different reasons

castle in the sky is the perfect adventure movie, wondrous, sweet, kind of self-consciously naive, with moments of genuine depth

kiki's whimsical, also sweet, full of energy and life. first time I watched it, I realized at like 90min through that I'm completely enraptured by the adventures of 13yo witch, how is this possible?

fireflies is the only movie, hell, maybe only piece of art even, that's ever made me fully cry. when the brother takes a last look of his sister before lighting the pyre, I just couldn't help it, I broke

whisper of the heart is a great film, the way it captures the most beautiful moments of everyday life, the sensitivity, and it's also pretty great for every struggling writer, the struggle and the effort and the reward

mononoke is a masterpiece, that's what "epic" fantasy films should be like, the action is secondary, it has genuine themes, things to say, the story never takes the easiest way out without becoming convoluted, it's mythological, yet about contemporary issues, the love story of ashitaka and san is so wonderfully unique and peculiar to miyazaki and absolutely clicheless, and the way the competing themes are interwoven and finally resolved(or are they? I don't think the movie offers answers).

spirited away is a feast of imagination, with the familiar whimsical and mythological notes, a dreamworld, a masterpiece really. IDK, it just gives me hope for humanity that someone from us can come up with visions like it.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.