[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do /lit/ hate this novel so much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 422x589) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 422x589
I'm half way in and I'm loving it.
>>
>>7852620
because americunt education system forces them to read it.
>>
>>7852620
because it's extremely popular, iconic, and actually has significant literary merit
>>
>>7852634
Fuck off, faggot.
>>
I think the rape scene disturbed a lot of people desu
>>
>>7852620
I like it, it got me into reading at age 12. I read it again not long ago and still liked it. I don't think its always forced since I was never required to read it. But I grew up in Alabama we never read, escpecially the guys because "Uhhhh reading is for queers duh" and shit like "Ima work on da field wit my daddy" never hated them for wanting to farm but damn they were ignorant
>>
>>7852620
Cause it's not phony
>>
>>7852620
Was it popular before Lennon's assassination? I've read it and I don't really understand what the fuss is about. It's not badly written but it doesn't seem noteworthy either really. It's kind of dull.
>>
I love it too.
A lot of the people who hate it were either forced to read it in school, or never read it, in my opinion.
The criticism I hate seeing the most, which I almost never see here, is "the main character just whines about everything."
Anyone who says that invalidates their opinion.
>>
>>7852620
Ghost in the Shell
>>
>>7852620
The MC is a gay and I cannot relate to gays.
supporting evidence
>unwilling to fuck prostitute
>wants to become a priest
>more interested in pianist than qties
>>
>>7852740
Yeah. All I heard was that the main character whiny or "edgy" (can't see how Holden is edgy but whatever)
>>
>>7853034
yeah but what about him raping his sister Phoebe
>>
File: not this shit again.jpg (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.jpg
156 KB, 1920x1080
>>7852642
>>
>>7852620
Though 4chan has seen a recent wave of redditors, it's always been one of the last bastions of unpopular truth and speaking ones mind, instead of going with the flow. Fact is, this is a book about a whiney cuck pussified faggot and degeneracy forced to read by Americas youth.
>>
It was a fun read, especially the last half.
>>
>read it at 15
>hate it

>read it again at 23
>realize it's an actual masterpiece

Everyone says that Catcher is proto-YA shit, but it's not a novel for teenagers. I think that's why so many people hate it, because they were forced to read it at the wrong age.
>>
>>7852620
We could never be friends.
>>
>>7852620
Never got past the first 10 pages.
Seemed like some YA bullshit.
Was I wrong?
>>
>>7852620
Read it recently (26 YO) and loooooved it.
I've got full time job, paid quite good, but I've no idea what I'm doing in my life + became rather sceptical about everything.

++ sometimes it was so funny I just couldn;t stop laughing.
>>
>>7852625

I wasn't forced to read it, and I quite liked it, memes and comedy abound. But I'm certain I would hate it if I was forced to listen some teacher go all serous about it, and I'd had to write pieces about it.
>>
>>7852637
back to /pol/ pls
>>
>>7852620
I love it. It's a great book about growing up if you're into that. Should be read at the ripe age of 20 years old.
>>
/lit/ doesn't hate it. It is a good book and an excellent pleb test. Anyone who says it is just a shitty book about teenaged angst can fuck off back to Harry Potter and Stephen King. If that is all you get out of the book, you are not ready for adult literature.
>>
>>7852620
Read it at 18 and loved it. I'm 19 and I'm still acting like him.

Fuck my life.
>>
>>7852620

teaches kids how to be faggots
>>
>>7852646
that's what you get for living with hicks
>>
>>7853126
Supporting evidence?
>>
>>7855431
lacunae
>>
>>7853212
See >>7853167
>>
>>7852676
this so much

I was never forced to read it
>>
>>7853034
What a shallow person you must be. The man had other things in his mind other than pussy, things which he thought were more important. You sound like a dumb frat bro
>DUDE! WHY DIDN'T YOU TAP THAT ASS? SHE'S A TOTAL WHORE, DUDE! WHAT ARE YOU, FUCKING GAY? YOU'RE SOME KIND OF FAGGOT? YOU DON'T WANNA FUCK THE PUSSY, ARE YOU GAY?
Sex is not everything in life, although you probably can't understand that, and will reply with ad-hominem calling me a gay virgin or something.
>>
Is Franny and Zooey worth reading? I really loved Salinger's work so far by the way.
>>
>>7856633
Yes, absolutely.
>>
>>7856260
Not that guy you're replying to, but it's pretty heavily alluded to that Holden might be gay or at least in question of his own sexuality.

His overreaction when he finds his English teacher stroking his head is one indication off the top of my head besides the ones previously mentioned.
>>
>>7857349
The book takes place in the 1950s, being gay was NOT okay, especially if they are a trusted figure like a teacher. Having a reaction like that is very justified.
>>
He doesn't rape his sister. They have consensual loving sex. You faggots misinterpret this all the time.
>>
>>7856633
For sure
>>
>>7857589
The teacher was clearly not gay though. Holden was just projecting his own insecurities unto him.
>>
>>7857335
>>7857608
thanks, checking it out
>>
File: SeptemContraPhoebas.jpg (1 MB, 1681x2410) Image search: [Google]
SeptemContraPhoebas.jpg
1 MB, 1681x2410
>>7853229
When someone is simultaneously shitting on CitR and making a substanceless 'faggot' comment, they are from /r/4chan, not /pol/. At least /pol/ can come up with insults more than three words long.

>>7857605
True. The statement is a bit of a misnomer, as it assumes anything pedophilic is inherently rape (even though Holden himself is underageb&)
>>
>>7857723
You're really overestimating the lower end of the bell curve on /pol/
>>
>>7857605
she's too young to consent desu
>>
>>7853141
Uh..
>>
>>7857615
This is true. Holden sees himself as just an older child, and it is clear that he thinks things like sex are inappropriate for children. There is nothing that suggests that the teacher is definitely not attracted to men or children, so the teacher being gay or a pedophile is definitely possible.
>>
>>7852651
This
>>
>>7852620
The rape scene was a little over the top. A few people walked out of the library at that point. Overall it's not worth the time.
>>
I marathoned the first chapter of this the other day and it was really good.
>>
>>7853212
Once you get past the child molestations and into the serious rape the book starts making more sense.
>>
>>7857605
>>7857723
>>7858501
>>7859353
I hate this meme
>>
>>7859459
You might hate the meme, but the reading is sound.
>>
Holden was a faggot and i'd beat his ass if i ever met him irl
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.