[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start with Russian literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Rasputin.jpg (364 KB, 865x1150) Image search: [Google]
Rasputin.jpg
364 KB, 865x1150
Where do I start with Russian literature?
>>
>>7852299
Start with the Greeks.
>>
greeks
>>
I started with Crime and Punishment. Dost is my boy
>>
>>
>>7852303
>>7852306
I know basic Greek philosophy, have read the oddysey and translated some small Latin and Greek myths, does that count?
>>
>>7852319
>>7852319
This, except you really should read Notes From the Underground first as it's shorter and it's an excellent, excellent primer for C&P.
>>
Start with the Minoans
>>
>>7852322
>wilton
>russian
>>
Dostoyevski is a good start
>>
>>7852319
>>7852369
>>7852812
>Dostoevsky to START with Russian lit
>>>IMPLYING

Meme harder retards. Greeks, Bible, and PUSHKIN. You do not read Russian lit without reading Pushkin first.

This is what happens when every retard on the board reads the same 4 books as every other retard, and all the retards keep talking about them over and over.

>muh underground man
>muh raskolnikov

PUSHKIN FIRST
>>
>>7852830
Well, I haven't ever read more than a few pages of Russian lit.
Perhaps Pushkin will help me into it.
/lit/ is my shepherd, I shall not want.
>>
>>7852840
Pushkin is actually a lot of fun. Check out his novel in verse "Eugene Onegin" as his major work that helped him transition from writing poetry to the newly-popular prose.

Oxford Falen translation was a great time. Very easy to read.

Other big names to consider later are:
Turgenev
Lermontov
Chekhov
Gogol
Dostoevsky & Tolstoy (obviously)
Zamyatin
Bulgakov
Platonov
Zoshchenko

Especially for Soviet era Russian lit, you'll want a decent understanding of contemporary history.
>>
>>7852299
By learning Russian.
>>
Definitely start with Chejov's shorts stories and plays, then jump into Dostoyevski and Tolstoi. Short novels like Notes From the Underground and The Death of Ivan Ilyich may be fine. Just then you can go for the classics, Crime and Punishment and War and Peace, that will take you time but it's worth it. Then you should be fine for anything else. Must list:

The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoyevski
The Master and Margarita - Bulgakov
The Mother - Gorky
Ana Karenina - Tolstoi
The Idiot - Dostoyevski
Dead Souls - Gogol

Also some Turguénev, but i haven't read it.

>Yep, i fell for the b8
>>
>>7852860
The b8 being?...
>>
i read oblomov first and had a gr8 time
>>
Read Pushkin then A Hero of Our Time by Lermentov then read a few of Tolstoy and Dosto who are the two major players and supplement them with Turgenev, Chekhov, Goncharov and thats the major works of the golden age although i think im forgetting some.
Then read Dr Zhivago, The Foundation Pit and Bulgakov.

>skip Nabokov
>>
>>7853118
Shit Gogol is the one i forgot read him before Chekhov
>>
>>7852303
>>7852306
screw the greeks
start with ancient wall cravings
>>
>>7852830
>>7853118

So I start with Eugene Onegin, then another of Pushkin (suggestions?), Notes From The Underground, Crime And Punishment, Dr. Zhivago and then finish these lists?
>>7852848
>>7852860

I also want to read Lolita, where should I put that? Maybe start with it as it seems pretty westernized?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.