[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am so jealous of English majors. In another life, I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1
File: imdying.png (32 KB, 108x99) Image search: [Google]
imdying.png
32 KB, 108x99
I am so jealous of English majors.

In another life, I would have been an English major instead of a philosophy major (I can't remember the last time I read something by Popper or Kant, or even Russell for that matter.) - a large part of my time is dedicated to reading books like Gravity's Rainbow or IJ.

I've always hated writing and loved reading. Reading novels with complex themes has always been really intuitive for me. But I just can't stand writing essays or any kind of analysis. I've always felt like essays are mostly worthless for distilling the meaning of a book. I could easily capture the meaning of a book in a few bullet points segmented under several competing thesi. The worst part about essay writing is that in school, they force you to have one overarching thesis or idea. I don't necessarily agree with that. Sometimes the interplay between certain elements of the book require a kind of multi-pronged thesis statement.

I'd rather just write a short story that responds in a similar manner to the book that I've read instead of an essay, desu.

I think it was Emerson who said that in another life that he was most naturally a reader and should have never been a writer in the presence of natural writers.

What do you think, /lit/? Am I a pleb who chose the wrong major?
>inb4 philosophy majors have to write essays too
yeah but philosophy essays are much more intuitive for me: it has to do with the clear structure of an argument vs. the subtleties in a novel.
>inb4 pleb status needs to read more books.
Come on /lit/, you've answered worse shitposts. At least this one isn't completely ironic, is it?
>>
Oh yeah, should also mention that I plan to take (or have taken) mostly logic courses to complete my philosophy degree - maybe that has to do with the fact that I don't have to write as many essays.
>>
>tfw Classics major so I get to read both literature and philosophy equally

why don't you like Russell, OP? I find a lot of his books really comfy and enjoyable, especially History of Western Philosophy
Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.