[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does lit think of this book? Who here has sat through reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: little-murakami.jpg (1004 KB, 2009x2995) Image search: [Google]
little-murakami.jpg
1004 KB, 2009x2995
What does lit think of this book?
Who here has sat through reading it? Is it worth it?
>>
Probably shit since it's Murakami.
Worse than that, according to most Murakami fans (lol) that's his worst book.
>>
>>7852068
why though? I'm not a huge fan of the dystopian/fantasy fiction genre but it seems to have gotten fairly good reviews. Is there any literary merit to this novel?
>>
>>7852092
It's an interesting book. I'm chewing my way through it now. The pacing is glacial and there are some missteps with the narrative that make it hard to soldier on in places, but as a big fat piece of comfortable ambience it's a really good time. 'Literary merit' is a vague term, but despite what /lit/ says (and the fact that Ryu Murakami is still better) Haruki Murakami is a legit writer. I think part of why 1Q84 gets so much flak is because every other novel by the author features a lot of similar elements. That just means that he can (mostly) handle them expertly by now. Give it a try. Even if you don't like it you'll have learned something about your own tastes, so it'll have been worth it.
>>
>>7852120
This is the kind of response I was looking for, thanks
>>
>>7852064
It's long, tedious, unfufilling, but with several good nuggets that made me not regret it, much like my sex life. But seriously, it's the most egregiously bad thing he wrote, and is still a solid 7/10. I'd suggest Kafka on the Shore or Wind-Up Bird Chronicle if you want a better introduction to his best. Also it has nothing comprehensible to do with 1984, other than being set in the eponymous year.
>>
It's okay. Not great. Not bad. Just okay.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.