[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>benjy is the sound >jason is the fury
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: a book.jpg (23 KB, 220x315) Image search: [Google]
a book.jpg
23 KB, 220x315
>benjy is the sound
>jason is the fury
>>
So is Quentin the 'and'?
>>
>>7850607
is that shadow raping
>>
http://furry.booru.org/index.php?page=post&s=list&tags=sounding
>>
>>7850607
nnnyeaaah no.
>>
The meaning is obvious if you just read the quote he took it from you know...

"Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
>>
>>7850631
so all of the characters are the idiots, and the book is the sound + fury
>>
>>7850638
read it again
>>
>>7850657
i didn't even read it the first time
>>
>>7850631

I already had the general meaning of it (to me: the actions, interactions, pride of the family, torment, etc being "the sound and the fury", all without point in the end) but I like to believe Faulkner made Benjy wail so much and Jason so hateful as an inside joke. It seems like the best authors are always funny, whether outright or not.
>>
>>7850677
faulkner thought his works were quite funny, just in a really dark manner.
>>
>>7850611
I could see an argument for Dilsey as 'and'. She's the only thing keeping the family (Sound and Fury) together.
>>
>>7851117
so Quentin is "the"
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 615x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 615x614
daily reminder that james franco directed a sound and the fury adaptation where he plays benjy, the retard

seth rogan is in it too, of course.
>>
>>7851143
First or second?
>>
>>7851152
>inb4 joke about him playing a retard in all his movies/real life
>>
>>7851143
The words-as-characters thing doesn't really work that well. Quentin doesn't really fit in.
>>
>>7850607
Fucking pleb. Benjy is both the sound and the fury. The line comes from a quote. Benjy comes to represent the Southern way of life and how it is coming to end as well as the Compson family line ending. Quentin is an hero. Benjy is castrated, and Jason, who knows or even cares about that little asshole, he's probably not getting any poon for a long time. The only thing the old traditional southern values, as well as the Compson family, can do while they watch their own destruction is scream in agony, like an idiot, filled with sound and fury.
>>
>>7851152
i am so glad i jumped off the james franco train before he made any of his faulkner movies, i literally cannot think of a movie i would like to watch less
>>
>>7851250
yeh this is why Dilsey says she like saw the end of a way of life or some shit
>>
>>7851255
>being on the james franco train in the first place
>>
>>7851302
at least I don't let people on the internet shape my opinions for me
>>
all three brothers are idiots, each in their own way
>>
>>7851902
I don't think so tim
Quentin especially is a pretty damn smart guy, he just didn't belong in the world he was in and couldn't come to terms with the resulting depression
>>
>>7851902
I wouldn't classify Quentin as an idiot. He just didn't belong to the decomposing South during that time, because he remains fixated in Southern values and morals.

In the beginning of his chapter, he looks at a broken watch, because he fought with someone whom he imagines to have insulted Compson honor and got beaten for it. Because he could not accept the fact that his sister was a slut, he killed himself.

But he's a nice, smart fellow.
>>
>>7851155

Holy shit.

Two 'the's.
Two Quentins.

Wew.
>>
did that quarter ever come up?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.