[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a right way to understand symbolism or does it all just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: le.jpg (10 KB, 243x208) Image search: [Google]
le.jpg
10 KB, 243x208
Is there a right way to understand symbolism or does it all just boil down to your own interpretation? Is there a way to learn to understand the proper meaning behind the author?
>>
i don't know how to read sorry
>>
Obviously no objective right way.

What I do is try going into it with as little expectation as possible. See what it means to me to extent i'm willing to try.
Then check other interpretations to see if they match or add anything to how I feel. Maybe reread if I think there is much I missed.

I actually never do this but it's what I think I would do if I could be bothered to make the effort
>>
Symbolism is mostly interpretation, but there are dictionaries of symbols around. People like Freud also schematized the use of symbols and some of the authors they influenced keep to those specific meanings.

You can interpret whatever as long as it has convincing evidence and a purpose.
>>
>>7849749

Not gonna lie, I think everything pretty much comes down to sex, if you think about it.
>>
>>7849749

1. context in the story
2. compare to other stories or culture
>>
>>7849767
How does Deal or No Deal come down to sex
>>
File: Sigmund_Freud.jpg (1 MB, 1600x2400) Image search: [Google]
Sigmund_Freud.jpg
1 MB, 1600x2400
>>7849767
Freud go back to bed
>>
Just read more and read analysis. It's a skill.

Schopenhauer's advice is good.

Basically:

Read
Reflect
Re-read
>>
>>7849767
>>Not gonna lie, I think everything pretty much comes down to sex, if you think about it.
false, it comes down to despair for men. only women are able to crave sex for sex itself
>>
>>7849749

Symbolism is fucking dumb anyways. Don't worry about it.
>>
File: kek.jpg (218 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
218 KB, 1920x1080
no
>>
>>7849809
You are aware that literature is an inherently symbolic medium, right? What do you think happens between the reader and the book when engaged in reading?
>>
>>7849809
Based albatros
>>
>>7850142

This. How can people on /lit/ reject symbolism? The whole fucking point of books is that they consist of signs, which means nothing by themselves, but only in a symbolic relation.
>>
>>7849749
nah
>>
>>7850164
Literally retarded post
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.