[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /lit/, How do you develop the discipline and concentration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: for-lambros.jpg (9 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
for-lambros.jpg
9 KB, 480x320
Hello /lit/,

How do you develop the discipline and concentration to read deeply and with concentration. When I was an early teen I used to read books again and again. Most importantly, I would often lie down and simply think about what I read for hours.

I've just realized that I cannot read for more than an hour continuously, and it takes me a while to get back to it. I literally never am staring into the blankness contemplating, it's always staring at a screen- a phone, a kindle or a desktop.

How do I pick up the pieces of my life and get back to living thoughtfully. How do I regain my concentration? I am asking because I read some of what I've written and I realize that it has kinda started to relect my personality.
>>
File: 1458512838773.jpg (58 KB, 463x325) Image search: [Google]
1458512838773.jpg
58 KB, 463x325
I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on 4chan anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.
>>
Go somewhere that there are no screens to distract you.
>>
>>7849472

this is important, where you are reading is critical.

also OP you are going to want to start meditating. you are on the brink of destroying your mind by never allowing your mind to be quiet and filling every second of your day with a screen. i bet you probably feel as if you're less imaginative than you hoped, feel like your thinking is less clear than it could be.

there's two ways to fix this and need to be done together. start turning your electronics OFF and dedicating serious time to reading. then start meditating. there are a million ways to start but just pick one. listening to guided meditations helps a great deal, but either way take your first steps now. meditation is one of the only ways short of handfuls of adderall that will fix your mind and save it from the bowl of porridge that it is currently becoming. i'm serious about this. you already know you have a problem and you need to go directly to the source: practice stillness and you will regain concentration and imagination.
>>
https://simplynoise.com/

You're welcome.
>>
>>7849466

This is copypasta.
>>
>>7849523
Well, I'll be! When I wrote that just now, who knew that I was merely digging up the grave of some hapless soul shallowly laid to rest not a week past? How sad, and banal.
>>
File: 3072.jpg (80 KB, 260x346) Image search: [Google]
3072.jpg
80 KB, 260x346
>>7848968
Ive been feeling the same way as you lately but i think its just cuz not every book is going to be great and significant. Its not like its the only thing i can read but i love satire. Recently i read pic related in two sittings and now im reading like i used to.
>>
>>7849537
love it
as for >>7848968
Recognizing that you have troubles with your concentration is the first step, kudos.
The next step is applying:
You must be aware of where your awareness is.
When you're reading a book and your awareness starts going to other things, like thoughts or sensations or noise, if you can, bring your attention back to the book.
Let the book be the complete target of your awareness, then you will be reading consciously.
Of course your attention will waver without your permission, but as long as you recognize when your attention wavers, and most importantly of all, when you are aware that reading is truly what you want to do, then you can shift your awareness back to the book.
It will be difficult at first, your mind will wonder willy-nilly, but if it is important to you, then you will struggle and overcome distraction and regain your power of concentration.
Just keep reminding yourself that this is what you want, that it will make you a more intelligent human.
Once you have that motivation, and are able to recognize where your attention is directed, then you will have the power to direct and re-direct that attention.
>>
>>7849466
Are you me?

What econ are you reading? I'm exploring the Austrian school. I know it's not perfect but I love free market.

Human Action is dense as fuck. I have up. Currently reading theory of money and credit.
>>
>>7850706
this is the most Reddit post I have ever seen in my life
>>
>>7850977
dismissing something as reddit as an argument against it is the most 4chan thing Ive seen in my life
>>
>>7851052
Please read critique of capitalism and critique of those books you're reading.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.