[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /lit/ was it real or all in her head?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: images.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
So /lit/ was it real or all in her head?
>>
>>7848841
reddit: the author
>>
It was real. I don't know exactly what the organization does apart from deliver mail but it was real
>>
>>7848841
What if it was all just an elaborate joke?
>>
>>7848841
exactly
>>
File: url.jpg (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
3 KB, 225x225
she drinks too much desu

"ONE summer afternoon Mrs Oedipa Maas came home from a Tupperware party whose hostess had put perhaps too much
kirsch in the fondue to find that she, Oedipa, had been named executor, or she supposed executrix, of the estate of one
Pierce Inverarity, a California real estate mogul who had once lost two million collars in his spare time but still had assets
numerous and tangled enough to make the job of sorting it all out more than honorary. Oedipa stood in the living room,
stared at by the greenish dead eye of the TV tube, spoke the name of God, tried to feel as drunk as possible. But this did not
work. She thought of a hotel room in Mazatlan whose door had just been slammed, it seemed forever, waking up two
hundred birds down in the lobby; a sunrise over the library slope at Cornell University that nobody out on it had seen because
the slope faces west; a dry, disconsolate tune from the fourth movement of the B"

>perhaps too much
kirsch in the fondue
>>
it was both because as my man tomas pinzzone, u can't not know not a thing
>>
>>7848878
wait I didn't type "desu" what the hell
>>
>>7848885
Wordfilters, newfag
>>
>>7848888
what translates into desu?

Also I am not a fag
>>
File: 1450141723857.png (182 KB, 854x1060) Image search: [Google]
1450141723857.png
182 KB, 854x1060
Can anything outside of our heads be considered real?
>>
>>7848841
the only thing that matters is her slow descent into overwhelming paranoia.
>>
Real insasmuch as a fictional entity can be. Trystero 'mutes' the horn, they force communications through their private mail fracturing the broader culture into self obsessive countercultures. (WASTE, DEATH, ACDC, etc.)

Trystero is a corruption of Anarchism that desires only to sabotage the hierarchical system. (see Trystero's past for motivation) Pynchon's ideal world is reflected in the Anarchist miracles like the deaf/blind dance that operates by intuition.

Trystero serves a postmodernist scapegoat for the issues of cultural fracturing in 1950's and 60's America.

Oedipa's mad hunt for the 'truth' - which may in this context be nothing at all - is symptomatic of her cultural isolation - the tower metaphor at the end of Chapter 1 - in the same way that the book's other characters driven mad by cultural fragmentation or alienation manifest their own fantasies, Pierce's voices, Hilarius' Zionist plots, ETC
>>
It's not all in her head, but like the typical paranoid, she replied upon conjecture to continue her investigation.
>>
File: 1449786735140l.png (739 KB, 1601x601) Image search: [Google]
1449786735140l.png
739 KB, 1601x601
>>7848841
>>
I don't get Pynchon at all. I just don't get it
>>
>>7848885

>being new

when was the last time you say the abbreviation for "to be honest" on this site? it filters to desu desu
>>
>>7848923
desu becomes desu immediately
>>
>>7848861
an infinite jest?
>>
>>7848841
It was probably real, but it having any significant meaning was probably in her head due to her desperation to escape mundanity. She found connections everywhere even if the dots didn't connect.
>>
desu
>>
you're asking the wrong questions
>>
>>7850548
Nice cheeky reference to Proverb #3.
>>
>>7848990
nice interpretation, ty for knowledge
>>
>>7848841
what a stupid reading
to dismiss the whole story as a fantasy is to totally misunderstand antirealism, pynchon, postmodernism, etc.
This isn't Strindberg.
>>
>>7848923
But you are new, senpai
>>
>>7848923
the word "senpai" turns into desu I think
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.