[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Book preservation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160324_224132.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_224132.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Best way to take care of/repair old books? hardcover and papetback
>>
File: IMG_20160324_224149.jpg (801 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160324_224149.jpg
801 KB, 3264x2448
Binding on the spine is getting dry and falling off
>>
File: woolf.jpg (1 MB, 2283x2919) Image search: [Google]
woolf.jpg
1 MB, 2283x2919
just cover them man
>>
File: 51596361_p0.png (111 KB, 1080x1407) Image search: [Google]
51596361_p0.png
111 KB, 1080x1407
>>7848724
>pito perez
>>
>>7848748
is this how you have it when its stored? or just for moving, do you just have mcnugget cases on all your books senpai
>>
>>7848724

so what? those are shit books

those pulp paperbacks are barely a step above toilet paper. if they have sentimental value to you, then their condition should be irrelevant
>>
>>7848748
does the mcnuggets box act as a new spine for when the pages are falling out?
>>
Burn them. Surrender to the god of entropy.
>>
>>7849004
But this book is over 100 years old
>>
I just tape em.
>>
>>7849034
Regular scotch tape?
>>
>>7849038
Don't do that if you care about the look long term, the glue turns brown and horrible.
>>
>>7849009

Does it exist digitally? If not, if you care about preservation, scan the pages and upload to an archive or something, the text matters not the book itself.

Are you a collector and enjoy the artwork? There may be niche people who can rebind destroyed books, I would just google it and if it's too hard / too expensive it's not worth it.

There are plenty of books worth more in value that are lost forever, it's just the way the world works.
>>
I'm lucky we have certain printing centers that re-bind books for affordable prices. Some of my books have been eaten by termites (our house is old), so I just let these be rebound and recut. The spine is transformed, and the pages are trimmed.
>>
File: lewhitewomansightseeing.jpg (886 KB, 3072x2048) Image search: [Google]
lewhitewomansightseeing.jpg
886 KB, 3072x2048
>>7848724

I just donate them to the local library with a very lowball named price when they get too roughed up. Their team of book restorers patch it up good within a month then I borrow it. After a few weeks I tell them I lost it so I have to pay a fee slightly larger than the named price in the donation register.
I do it with any interesting books that have very low named prices in the register ever since I lost a book legit, I thought I'd go to jail or something for losing the book but turns out the real system is extremely exploitable, I wonder if other people do it too.
>>
>>7849078
Where do you live? Cause that's generally not how libraries work, they buy their own and sell the donations. And they don't "restore" the donations. Source: I work at a library.
>>
>>7849058
What this guy said. Learn to bookbind or see if your lcal Kinkos.will do it.

Rebound my License To Kill by John Gardner. Not in print anymore so it was worth it. Went hardcover with it too. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Av_rU-yOPd4

Im actually very intersted in binding. I find Japanese 4 hole binding cool, as well as Coptic binding.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.