[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any piece of "internet literature" worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: computer.jpg (115 KB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
computer.jpg
115 KB, 1050x1050
Is there any piece of "internet literature" worth reading?
>>
>>7847330
>inb4 My Twisted Life
>>
>>7847330
can you explain what you mean more? works only published online?
>>
>>7847330

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

obligatory
>>
>>7847343
This. The virgin manifesto is essential /lit/ core.
>>
>>7847350
I guess works that were originally published online and have some sort of merit
>>
>>7847330
http://m.friendfeed-media.com/2da79442231982a471aa37bbdcf283d9f092ea87

19k pages of suicide note
have fun
>>
File: image.gif (16 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
16 KB, 650x450
I will admit that Homestuck is juvenile but at least Andrew Hussie picked a new direction and went in it.
I've tried reading it in its entirety but it's been three years and I'm only 600 pages in. The fanbase is full of dipahits, but i recognize the originality
>>
>>7847330
Elliot Rodger's manifesto
>>
>>7847330
>"internet literature"
There's an oxymoron if i've ever heard one.
>>
>>7847574
text doesn't exist online?
>>
This is all you'll ever need.
>>
>>7847630
By "internet literature", i'm assuming he didn't mean a pdf version of Oliver Twist. Imo, we have yet to see a truly great piece of literature that was birthed on the net as opposed to printed, sold in 3d form etc.
>>
>>7847544
I enjoyed it for the first "act" or two but it crashed hard as soon as the trolls were introduced. He should have stuck to jokes about data structures and had it be a more standard adventure story instead of the huge clusterfuck it turned into.
>>
>>7847659

>Imo, we have yet to see a truly great piece of literature that was birthed on the net as opposed to printed, sold in 3d form etc.

Would it be literature at that point, though? Because if it's just something that someone wrote and then published online, behind a paywall or otherwise, it's no different than a pdf version of Oliver Twist.
>>
File: 1418614267804.png (1 MB, 780x1198) Image search: [Google]
1418614267804.png
1 MB, 780x1198
And 2083 too.
>>
>>7847659
i'm not sure how much i actually love the execution on this, but the idea is great:

https://www.canopycanopycanopy.com/contents/you-cant-see-any-such-thing

it definitely gives me some confidence in the potential of the medium to do cool things
>>
>>7847494
Mitchell Heisman: Suicide Note [see: >>7847498
]

Elliot Rodger: My Twisted World

2Chan: Train Man
>>
>inb4 Hypersphere, TLOTIAT and other memes.
>>
>>7847669
I definitely see your point. I just think that, in order to merit the distinction of being "internet literature" as opposed to the regular kind, it would have to use its particular medium in some new way. Like a freely distributed pastebin-only novel that was actually good.
>>
File: IMG_8533.jpg (502 KB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8533.jpg
502 KB, 1984x1488
>>7847760
>some new way

I think illusion of choice like in video games or those basic click-and-read games can be a very powerful hook. But then someone has to use it in a gripping way, not like most vidya has done so far.
>>
>>7847784
>illusion of choice can be a powerful hook.
Certainly. Haven't played any of the more "meta" games - Stanley Parable, Undertale - but i'm sure there's something there. Illusion of choice as a philosophical theme in general would fit well with this interactive type of medium.
>>
Only one worth reading
>So ur with ur honey and yur making out wen the phone rigns. U anser it n the vioce is "wut r u doing wit my daughter?" U tell ur girl n she say "my dad is ded". THEN WHO WAS PHONE?
>>
/r/writingprompts is essential for any aspiring /lit/izen
>>
This is one of my favorite 4chan stories. Haven't read it in a while but here's the link I think:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=394105
>>
>>7847903
Weird how it ends...
>>
>>7847893
REDDDDDDDDDDDIT PLEASE GOOGGF YOU FAGGGOTTT FUVKUNG TRGITRERED FUCKING MAGGOT COCMSUCKING BOARD CANCER BACK
TO
FUCKUNF
REDDUT
FDGSGSGSSJ
seriously, reddit? Nah
>>
>>7847760
>I just think that, in order to merit the distinction of being "internet literature" as opposed to the regular kind, it would have to use its particular medium in some new way.

what do you think of this? its internet-born:
http://www.worldofawe.net/thejournal/landing/#
>>
>>7849470
also dionaea house was originally published on the internet.. and notable too for its string of separate web pages:
http://www.dionaea-house.com/
>>
>>7847652
they're both hated here but its nice to see the concept actualized desu.
>>
>>7847903
this is interesting.. i keep getting the impression that this was written by the same guy who made the liliad which is another long story originally posted on 4chan
>>
Worm. Long but better than any other super power related thing I've ever read/watched. Starts off a bit wobbly as the author finds his feet but is better than a lot of published books I've read.

Stranded In Fantasy. Posted on /tg/ and you can read it on 1d4chan. What happens if a bunch of people got stranded in a fantasy world. Pretty fun. Not that long. Read if you like fantasy stuff.

Storybros Magically Lewd Sleepover Adventure I think it's still got the record for longest ever Green Text story. Lewd teenage boners of an apparently true story. Two others by the same dude but I never read them.

I enjoyed them all and would recommend them in that order. They are mostly just something to have fun read of though, it is stuff posted on the internet after all.
>>
>>7847343
It's good though.
>>
>>7847903

Senpai, this thing over here is nearly god tier.

Be it Lolita of our time or another Illiad - like origin myth of the modern internet, it's a breathtaking read.
>>
What exactly are we talking about here? Lit inspired by the internet or lit produced for the internet medium? I guess there's cyberpunk, if we're talking inspiration, but I wouldn't exactly call stuff like Neuromancer literature.
>>
The one where the guy's organization forgot about him, and forgot to assign him a job title, so he just gets paid to sit around and do nothing, and because he was with the business for a while before the glitch happened people assumed he was a senior manager or something and didn't question him.
>>
>>7847893
Because I want to see the same bland prompt over and over again.
>>
>>7847330
My Immortal immediately springs to mind
>>
>>7849542
Yay for Worm. I'm only on arc 7 but it's pretty good, despite the daunting length (to me at least).
>>
>>7847717
The Penis Was
>>
>>7847903
>>7849470
>>7849476
>>7849542
This shit sucks
>>
>>7847709
train man is fucking retarded
>>
File: 1440978563111.png (954 KB, 1414x631) Image search: [Google]
1440978563111.png
954 KB, 1414x631
>>7847330
Time Cube
>pic unrelated
>>
>>7852715
timecube is stupid
>>
>>7852715
>He doesn't like urbex
>>
>>7852726
>he wants to get mesothelioma from the asbestos fibres stuck to his clothing that get inhaled after he takes his respirator off
enjoy dying a slow and painful death

>>7852717
you're just a stupid pleb who can't understand
>>
>>7852743
Urbex feels so much better without a respirator though.
>>
>>7847717
Reading the physical copy of Hypersphere feels so odd. It feel like it's really supposed to be read on the internet
>>
>>7847652
Beat me to it.
FYI all, this is an official meme now, I'm calling it.
>>
File: 1458290806180.jpg (235 KB, 450x695) Image search: [Google]
1458290806180.jpg
235 KB, 450x695
>>
>>7853927
Well, for one, the physical copy has errors in it. Personally, I agree with your idea that it should be left to be read on the internet. That's why someone was kind enough to keep the corrected version hosted online.
>>
>>7854979
What errors are in the physical copy?
>>
Though driving continental philosophy's lingustic hemorrhage to a paroxism I still find the articles from Tiquun (a French, ruthlessly analytic and playful magazine whose articles were uploaded posthumously) enjoyable to read.

In case anyone's interested: https://libcom.org/tags/tiqqun
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.