[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learn History with novels
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 14584204674.jpg (94 KB, 677x782) Image search: [Google]
14584204674.jpg
94 KB, 677x782
Do You know some good historical novels to learn history?
I miss the times when I was not paying much attention to the lessons of history, as I regret it, but I find it hard to read the essays. I find them very boring. I prefer to live adventures and, at the same time learn a little something.
>>
Get something by Mika Waltari
>>
>>7846684
I, Claudius
also that one that was really popular a few years ago about building a cathedral
>>
War and peace
>>
>>7846684
Les Mis
>>
>>7846684
Check out Henryk Sienkiewicz
>>
Gore Vidal is brilliant with his historical novels based on the history of USA
>>
les Mis, War and Peace, are definitely two solid starts

And far and away the most famous
>>
>>7847147
plus he buttfucked Kerouac
>>
The Dream of the Celt by Mario Vargas LLosa paints a solid picture of the 'Scramble for Africa,' the Dutch invasion for rubber and other resources, King Leopold II, etc. etc.

Anything by Llosa really.
>>
>>7847013
Yeah, because 'Livia killed everybody' will get him far with his historical knowledge.

I really liked I,Claudius but its just fiction in a historical setting.
>>
The Golden Ass - Apulieus
>>
File: asterix_by_cruzazul-d5hcvwp.png (212 KB, 900x811) Image search: [Google]
asterix_by_cruzazul-d5hcvwp.png
212 KB, 900x811
>>7846684
the Asterix books
>>
- Jack High's Eagle Trilogy
- The Accursed Kings Saga by Maurice Druon
>>
File: Siemiradski_Fackeln.jpg (512 KB, 2018x1100) Image search: [Google]
Siemiradski_Fackeln.jpg
512 KB, 2018x1100
>>7847108
this, f am
>>
>>7847147
>based on the history of USA
>the history of USA
>history of USA
>USA
>history

Considering all of the 5 minutes of American history, those novels must be pamphlets
>>
>>7846684
Have you considered reading "popular" history? Stuff like Holland's "Rubicon," Goldsworthy's "Caesar: Life of a Colossus," written as nonfiction based heavily on primary sources, but written in modern prose and marketed to a relatively casual audience.
>>
Something settled in the middle age?
>>
You can't learn all of history, nor will you ever read all of history.

This may sound pleb but I get a basic understanding of a time period by watching documentaries. Mankind, America story of us, etc. Find something interesting out of all of that then I find a specific book about that Era, dynasty, family, hierarchy, war, etc. read that and then learn that history. But I wouldn't read something like War and Peace only to get an understanding of napoleonic era.
>>
>>7847847
The Name of the Rose
>>
Montanelli
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.