[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lead ink from scrolls may unlock library destroyed by Vesuvius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: 87938.adapt.768.1.jpg (34 KB, 768x511) Image search: [Google]
87938.adapt.768.1.jpg
34 KB, 768x511
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2081832-lead-ink-from-scrolls-may-unlock-library-destroyed-by-vesuvius/

>Some 800 scrolls, part of the classical world’s best-surviving library, have tantalised scholars since they were unearthed in a villa in the ancient Roman city of Herculaneum in 1752. About 200 are in such a delicate state that they have never been read.

>Now physicist Vito Mocella of the Italian National Research Council and his colleagues have revealed lead in the ink on two Herculaneum papyri fragments held in the Institute of France in Paris.

>The presence of lead means that imaging techniques could be recalibrated to pick up the metal, something at which X-rays excel.

What do you hope are in these scrolls?
>>
>>7846122
Ancient shitposting
>>
>inb4 "lost knowledge"
>>
I hope at the very least original documents and not just an iliad translation
>>
>>7846122
I hope that a serious, Nag Hammadi level dump of ancient texts is found and translated in my lifetime. Something of the quality and bulk of Livy.

The only new stuff being found right now is in Coptic egyptian garbage dumps.
>>
>>7846122
some or all of cato's origines
>>
>>7846149
Callisthenes account of the anabasis of Alexander would sure be neato. Livy's Lost Books, or Strabo's History would be sweet.
>>
>>7846156
Did Strabo have a history, beyond his now extant geography?

And yeah I would kill for Livy's account of the civil wars. The possibility of recovering his other books has been my biggest consideration in thinking about learning Latin. Polybius would be great, too.
>>
"Ancient Scholia on Homer's Odyssey"
>>
>>7846164
http://www.strabo.ca/history.html
>>
>>7846122

I hope they find The Telegony, aka "Odysseus' Wild Ride 2: Electric Boogaloo"
>>
No clue. Hopefully something exciting that could change the perspective of a certain time period. Perhaps some mythology?
>>
I bet they find an original manuscript to Finnegans Wake.
>>
I hope it's some completely new theogony or something of similar impact on mythological stories that we might not have considered yet.
>>
>Aeschylus is believed to have written some 90 plays of which only six have survived
>Sophocles had 123 known plays, 7 survived
>we only have one third of Aristotle's known works

Just think of the possibilities.

Who am I kidding, they're all probably just ancient cooking recipes for corn.
>>
File: 1458807194198.jpg (11 KB, 123x132) Image search: [Google]
1458807194198.jpg
11 KB, 123x132
>>7846144
>Something of the quality and bulk of Livy.
MY BODY IS READY
>>
File: linear-B.gif (52 KB, 318x300) Image search: [Google]
linear-B.gif
52 KB, 318x300
>>7846237
>Koros, this is the 270th scroll I have sent demanding the return of the 150 denarii lent to thee. I will continue sending these scrolls until I have been reimbursed

I can only imagine the disappointment of the translators of linear b, when they realized it was just tons of spreadsheets regarding olive oil transport.
>>
File: bye.jpg (11 KB, 201x199) Image search: [Google]
bye.jpg
11 KB, 201x199
>tfw they will all be tax records
>>
>>7846122
An actual complete work of Epicurus'
>>
>>7846237
i've come to the conclusion that only the best stuf was saved from antiquity, either the extra stuff was super heretical pagan shit the christians had to filter out of history, or more likely it was just bad, a lot of the surviving plays ain't even that great, so the ones that didn't survive must really suck

as for what's on the scrolls? probably just copies of shit we already have, like how the found like 200 copies of the iliad in some library in alexandria, it's like woah 200 works amazing what glorious treasure, oh wait, it's just student copies of the iliad, never mind....on the other hand rich wall street and silicon valley guys will be able to cop them when they go up for auction eventually
>>
>>7846144
>The only new stuff being found right now is in Coptic egyptian garbage dumps.

that's my dream that some coptic student after graduating passes me some antique scroll their grandparents found in a jar on their farm or something, even if its just a fragment of the iliad or something else unremarkable, that would be patrish as shit
>>
>>7846156
>Strabo's History would be sweet.

we already have strabo's history u mong
>>
Holy shit, this could be huge

We better get one of those fucking lost plays... Or at least something about the Roman monarchy
>>
Will these kinds of cutting-edge technologies bring about new major discoveries in the world of classics or is what we have now pretty much it?
>>
>>7846276
>implying that isn't useful
>>
>>7846366
We have Strabo's Geography you mong. Strabo's History is only alluded to in fragments.
>>
>>7846136
Underrated post.
>>
>>7846453
there isn't really anything important missing, supposedly there was a short homeric poem between the iliad and the odyssey that got lost, but maybe it sucked or it would have been copied a 100000 times like the others, the other missing thing is any sources for ovid's shit, we don't have the original greek stuff he wrote that based on, sort of like only having the aeniaed but not the odyssey, but that's about it, the rest will probably be minor shit that is mostly bad...just consider the gospel of thomas, there's a reason it didn't get put into the bible and was "lost", mainly that it's fucking wack, interesting to read i suppose but nothing mind blowing there
>>
>>7846122
Y'all losing your shit, but we know what the library contained, if I'm not confusing it.

It's mostly minor philosophers from the hellenistic period of the Academy, and random epicurean faggots.
>>
Were there any kind of lost works actually discovered in the last 150 years?
>>
File: 1400757857031.jpg (57 KB, 362x277) Image search: [Google]
1400757857031.jpg
57 KB, 362x277
"Verily, thou rt a fgt"
>>
>>7846582
There's always the "Q" document as a pipe dream, and Aristotle's Poetics, and all the missing works already listed here.

>>7846590
Ive read elsewhere it was an epicurean library as well, but one can hope that maybe his wife gave the guy some other works.
>>
>>7846597
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nag_Hammadi_library
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea_Scrolls
>>
>>7846619
>The brothers' mother burned several of the manuscripts, worried, apparently, that the papers might have 'dangerous effects'

Fuckin momscience
>>
>>7846622
Muslims, not even once.
>>
>>7846349
>i've come to the conclusion that only the best stuf was saved from antiquity
How did you possibly come to that conclusion?
>>
>>7846597
Bible Hunters by the BBC is pretty fascinating in that it tells the stories of 19th century explorers who went digging in Coptic monasteries for 1700 year old books.

>>7846640
He has never seen the possible lost works of Alexandria.
>>
File: 1383865827668.png (26 KB, 345x504) Image search: [Google]
1383865827668.png
26 KB, 345x504
>>7846590
No reason why "minor philosophers" can't be interesting.
>>
>>7846640
because quite frankly a lot of the surviving plays suck, they ain't all Antigone tier, bro. Even Antigone is a little hamfisted, so just imagine how shit the stuff that didn't survive is? In the last few decades they have found pieces of plays and things in Egypt, and they aren't anything classic or great. Think about it without the romance of antiquity and "patricianness" and see that a lot of the Greek stuff is actually kind bad. Homer is like the only thing that's REALLY good. All that shit just seem "important" because for the whole 1000 years between the fall of Rome and the rennaisance there was practically nothing else to read, so people just grabbed onto a few texts and turned them into big deals, it was a brush with the oriental mind, the christian art became stunted symbols with no attempt at naturalism, as all asian art is, and the wrote copying and uncritical glorification of texts for the sake of them being "old" is another putrid aspects of the asian mind, the west really dodged a bullet there
>>
>>7846590
oh yeah i already about this, mostly just b-tier crapola, like a trove of ancient routledge conference anthologies...useless
>>
>>7846656
And the possible lost works of Alexandria are?
>>
>>7846597
gospel of thomas and a shitty comedic greek play called "the ill tempered man" or something
>>
File: russianmilkcontainer.jpg (16 KB, 275x354) Image search: [Google]
russianmilkcontainer.jpg
16 KB, 275x354
>>7846688
>antigone is a little hamfisted
>homer is like the only thing's that's really good
>christian art became stunted symbols with no attempt at naturalism
>implying the Renaissance was the start of good Western art
Do you realize how appalling it is that you are saying these things?
>>
>>7846704
u can't handle the truth
>>
>>7846697
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLlVnKOb4Mk

You can easily google lost works of the library of alexandria. Hero, Hipparchus, Archimedes, Euclid, Berossus, all the shit that was just mentioned in this thread, and much more.
>>
>>7846711
>not even ten seconds in and Sagan is already talking about dankness
you can't make this shit up
>>
File: I'm not biting.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
I'm not biting.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
>>7846688
>>
>>7846237
>Pompeii
>Greeks

Otiosis locus hic non est.
Discede, morator.
>>
>>7846731
>He thinks Latin was the lingua franca of the Roman intelligentsia

Literal pleb
>>
>>7846734
>He thinks there was any intelligentsia in Pompeii

Hoc postus delendus est
>>
>>7846739
>Uneducated Romans owned epicurean libraries
>We aren't discussing the scrolls of Herculaneum

Cacas in te os tuum et matrem
>>
>>7846744
Judging from my knowledge of French you're saying something about shit and his mother.
>>
1. The missing works of Heraclitus
2. A Roman era goosebumps novel.
>>
>>7846271
Mycenaeans were all about the opium dawg, fukk olives
>>
>>7846754
Surprisingly female raid-slaves were a huge part of the palace records.
>>
>>7846497
>implying actual missing lit wouldn't be more useful
>>
>>7846122
>What do you hope are in these scrolls?
objective proof that we were, in fact, kangs and shat
>>
>>7846720
Damn Angel's Egg is such a patrician movie
>>
>>7846747

>The missing works of Heraclitus

THIS
THIS
THIS

Imagine the shitstorm, when we find out how all the philosophers like Nietzsche or Hegel turn out to have been wrong in their interpretation him.

My second pick would have been Aristotle's "On Comedy".
>>
>>7846122
DAMN OP that looks like a bomb ass joint in your picture. which reminds me it's about 4:20, BOUTTA GET BLOWN BROOO AYYYY LMAOOOOO
>>
Another article that we will never hear from again
>>
>>7847165
>Aristotle's "On Comedy"
Borges burnt the last one
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.