[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So after a lot of research and thinking, I have finally decided
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: unnamed.jpg (25 KB, 442x332) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
25 KB, 442x332
So after a lot of research and thinking, I have finally decided to buy Robert Fitzgerald's translation of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Have I made the right decision? Or Will I regret later?
>>
You fell for it, Fagles is the best.
>>
>>7845802
learn greek
>>
>>7845802
>>7845818
>Not reading the only good version
>>
The new Peter Green translation looks pretty decent. Only in hardcover currently so I've been waiting to pick it up, but the previews I've seen are very good. Kind of like Lattimore but slightly more poetic.
>>
>>7845802
As long as you're actually reading it, the issue of what translation you get is secondary. But be sure to fucking read it.
>>
Lombardo is the best.

>>7845855
No.
>>
>>7845802
You made a good decision. There are plenty of great translations.

Fagles, Fitzgerald, Lattimore are 3 that you can't really go wrong with.
>>
>>7845802
You done right. Harold Bloom recommended Lattimore for The Iliad and Fitzgerald for The Odyssey, so I assume they're both good. He also praised Fagles translation.

Just read the one you got and you can read other versions over time.

>>7846016
p sure lombardo is a laughing stock
>>
A true patrician reads all three translations Lat,Fag,Fitz
>>
>>7846843
>You done right. Harold Bloom recommended

/lit/ - the post
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.