[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Phenomenology of Spirit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Spirit.jpg (22 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Spirit.jpg
22 KB, 500x500
Just about to finish this book. High highs and low lows, but definitely got a lot of out it (Joyce, anyone?)

Anyone here read it twice? Worth it? Continued on to Philosophy of Right? Bailed on the charlatan and graduated to Schopenhauer? General "what next" thread.
>>
nobody really reads hegel
>>
>reading
>>
i dare you to name one thing you got out of it.
>>
>>7844536
Just purchased that exact copy yesterday, plan on reading it after I'm done with Kant's Critique of Pure Reason

Would you say the experience was worth it OP? I know I've had to slough through parts of Kant but it's all worth it in the end
>>
>>7844595
I read CPR first and as a whole, probably liked it better than Phenomenology. Kant was difficult, but for the most part lucid; Hegel was often genuinely incoherent. But at his highs, Hegel was genius and lent one an experience of pure elation. One begins to understand how Don Quixote lost his mind reading his books.

>>7844593
Helped me wrap my head around Joyce. Proves by algebra that Hamlet’s grandson is Shakespeare’s grandfather and that he himself is the ghost of his own father.
>>
>>7844595
It also does help to have read CPR. Hegel never (or very seldom) mentions Kant or anyone else by name, but if you know Kant you can see where he's being referenced. In addition to CPR, knowledge of Antigone, the French Revolution and Hegel's lectures on history (Philosophy of History - a fairly straight forward, if duller read) helped me a lot.
>>
>>7844536
I want to get into phenomenology, it was literally the first philosophy book that I opened (I read the intro and never felt so stupid, like a 6th grader opening a calculus txt) - it gave me unrealistic expectation about the density of actual philosophy.

I've been reading Schopenhauer and I'm afraid that after I finish Nietzsche I'll be finished with philosophy. What more is there?
>>
Move on to the Encyclopedia of Logic, brother.
>>
>>7845460
>I've been reading Schopenhauer and I'm afraid that after I finish Nietzsche I'll be finished with philosophy. What more is there?
the next step is to ditch all those speculations and tackle what you feel and and think in meditating. No rationalism will change your life.
>>
>>7845469
Yeah it seems like this is the case. thanks.
>>
Hegel will forever remain a towering figure of Western philosophy, even if the West perishes utterly.

And you haven't started it unless you've read it in GERMAN.

GERMAN only!

"SPIRIT"/"MIND" -- my arse!
>>
>>7845463
Thanks. Care to elaborate at all?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.