[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is learning Latin worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1457673334626.jpg (11 KB, 221x246) Image search: [Google]
1457673334626.jpg
11 KB, 221x246
Is learning Latin worth it?
>>
>>7844259
No. Wish I'd taken French, Spanish, German, Japanese or Mandarin.
>>
>worth
>>
worth more than posting on 4skins
>>
File: massage.gif (2 MB, 475x277) Image search: [Google]
massage.gif
2 MB, 475x277
>>7844259
Loved it. One of the comfiest things to learn. Took it for 3 years in HS and 2 years in college. Basically put SAT verbal section or learning any romance language on easy mode.
>>
>>7844259
Yes and no. If you focus on vocabulary, there are innumerable benefits for English speakers. English will "breathe" more and connections become apparent you couldn't see before.

OTOH, it's grammar is much more difficult than the grammars of its daughter languages or the Germanic languages. It's closer to the grammars of Slavic languages in complexity. Straining to memorize all the paradigms, rules, and exceptions will devour the majority of your time and be its most frustrating aspect.

Ultimately, if you like grammar, go for it. I do and it was rewarding and fun. However, I'd suggest you peruse Adler's Latin grammar course (old pdf, free via Google books) to determine whether you really want to commit the time for the grammar. It's a huge investment and in that same time you could learn many more practical skills. If the grammar turns you off, but you still want the benefits of vocabulary acquisition, Google "Swallowing the Dictionary + Latinum."

Yes, I found it worth it. It made learning French pleb-tier easy (and it's already easy for English speakers), made law school a breeze and has made English much more enjoyable than before. But then again, I was in high school when I picked it up, and am not sure if the time investment would be worth it for me now that I work 50-60 hours/week.
>>
>>7844259
Ancient Greek has a more intelligent grammar and is more beautiful too.

Go for it instead. Learning Latin after speaking Ancient-Greek is "pleb-tier easy", as someone said in here.
>>
>>7846534
I wouldn't. I took Ancient Greek for three semesters at university. Unless you plan on reading Ancient Greek everyday, it's just not worth as much to an Engliish speaker. Yes, roots and shit. I get it. But English uses many fewer Greek roots than Latin roots. Additionally, the only modern language that it could aid with is Modern Greek. If someone wants to learn that instead, the vocabulary is so different than Ancient Greek , it's better to start with the modern, as the overlap is small. Don't fall for the Ancient Greek meme, unless you REALLY like reading those old assholes in the original.
>>
>>7846575
Spotted the englishman!
>>
>>7846579
Haha. Sorry to burst your bubble, son. I'm from the sticks in Texas.
>>
>>7846523
Not the op but thanks for the detaiked reply
>>
Guys, one time an online Latin course was posted here. it started every year in September I think and used the Colloquial Latin or Assimil Latin as textbook.
That year it had already begun so I saved it to favourites but my computer died.
Does anyone have the link?
>>
It was fun in school. The history, the gods, the tales. It was more like solving puzzles than learning a language. Perosnally I don't use any of it anymore, it might have positively shaped my analytical skills but who knows. When it comes to actually using a language to just read a book or watch a film or visit a country I wish had spend that time learning Russian, Spanish French or Japanese.
>>
>>7846595
That would explain the hick point of view
>>
>>7844269
Why? Have you been to countries who speak those? If you aren't going to work with languages, you're learning them to read or consume media. Looking at it that way, Latin is at least in the same tier with German and French. You have centuries of shit to read.
>>
>>7847954
A spoken language is a real world skill. But no one gives a shit if you can read Latin.
>>
>>7847996
I landed a professional proofreading job thanks to Latin on my resume. Latin is basically code for grammar master.

Also, unless you're basically native employers don't really care about foreign language skills. Ask yourself "could I handle a business phone call in my language?"
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.