[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it depressing to read Schopenhauer and Nietzsche?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: kul_NietzscheShop_831150a.jpg (112 KB, 940x658) Image search: [Google]
kul_NietzscheShop_831150a.jpg
112 KB, 940x658
Is it depressing to read Schopenhauer and Nietzsche?
>>
>>7843324
Schopenhauer maybe.

I find Nietzsche empowering more than anything.
>>
File: 1458401134921.jpg (67 KB, 406x744) Image search: [Google]
1458401134921.jpg
67 KB, 406x744
>>7843324
I dont think reading any book can be depressing. Its only depressing if you agree with the depressing message in it, and even then not always
>>
File: 1458350164907.jpg (69 KB, 1008x720) Image search: [Google]
1458350164907.jpg
69 KB, 1008x720
No. It makes you smug. Schopenhauer is more depressing than Nietzsche though.
>>
>>7843358
>It made me smug.

Fixed that for you.
>>
Nietzsche's idea can help you out of depression. They were basically his way of dealing with the depression that came with his illness, which is why 'health' is a central theme in his rhetoric.
Schopenhauer was a spoiled rich brat. And like a spoiled rich brat, his ideas were shiny and sophisticated but corrupt at their core.
>>
>>7843489
How were his ideas corrupt?
>>
if you're a fucking untermensch ya
>>
>>7843324
That Schopenhauer looks like Costanza. I cannot unsee it.
>>
>>7843350
>>7843489
These^^
Nietzshe was all about overcoming the idea that you are nothing (read about the Ubermensch in particular)
>>
>>7843324
Not really, Schopenhauer is pessimistic but it's an interesting world view. Nietzsche's main focus is to look not at how man escapes the cycle of life, but how man 'rides the tiger' so to speak and masters, then overcomes it. It is not seeking escape through asceticism but rather seeking mastery over things, predominantly the self.
>>
>>7843324
Nietzsche is the opposite of depressing.
>>
>>7843324
Have you read Nietzsche beyond quotes on the internet? He isn't depressing at all.
>>
File: nietzsche.jpg (414 KB, 966x1208) Image search: [Google]
nietzsche.jpg
414 KB, 966x1208
I would say no, for both.

With Schopenhauer, at least for me, I experienced the eerie but exciting feeling of reading and conceptually comprehending what I had only vaguely but strongly felt. It is a wintry and silvery feeling, not grey and desolate and nihilistic and cold, but definitely not colorful, like being in a barren but warm room with snow falling outside.

It is probably a common stage that most people go through and I do not see how Schopenhauer could make a depressed person more depressed. I think there are multiple different types of depression under the term depression but his philosophy is not gloomy and wallowing and slimy. He is on the cheerful, light-hearted side of pessimism and if any of that can embed itself into your being at a time when you are susceptible to the other nastier side of pessimism it is for the better.

But the more you read of him and the older you get, the more your mood changes, the more his system begins to crumble and the holes you saw in his philosophy never go away but only grow. The questions you were looking for answers to are never found. That is when it is time to read pic related.
>>
Neither desu. The world may depress a man but they're not depressing.
>>7843489
You're an idiot and characteristic of the average Nietzsche reader.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.