[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever mispronounced a word or used the wrong one and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: FEELSBAD.png (7 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
FEELSBAD.png
7 KB, 230x219
Have you ever mispronounced a word or used the wrong one and embarrassed yourself?

>tfw just tried to pronounce "contemporaneously" and kept having to start over until my qt crush said "just say modern"
>>
>>7842970
draught
>>
I've pronounced Prowst the wrong way for the longest time and I like it the wrong way better than Proost.
>>
File: krabs_rag3do.jpg (35 KB, 680x464) Image search: [Google]
krabs_rag3do.jpg
35 KB, 680x464
>>7842970
>be me
>talking about Jame Joyce in lit class
>bring up "Dub-liner"
>professor pauses, unsure how to respond, and says "Ah yes... DUBLIN-er"
>mfw
>>
I have always pronounced baccalaureate as bachelorette
>>
I doubt anyone will top this, but when I was younger I thought bourgeois was pronounced like "boar-gee-oys"
>>
I used to say epi-tome instead of ep-it-o-me when I was 12.
>>
File: feels-good-man.jpg (19 KB, 340x370) Image search: [Google]
feels-good-man.jpg
19 KB, 340x370
>tfw you mispronounce a word but you're surrounded by plebs so no one notices
>>
Used to pronounce panacea like pa-na-kia
>>
>>7842970
a frog-faggot being dumb? Shocking

>>>/r9k/
>>
I said Pynchon like pin-chin once. My professor corrected me on my pronunciation and the whole class laughed.
>>
>tfw you pronounce everything correctly but poshfags judge you for your pleb accent
>>
I used to be pretty awful for pronouncing certain words. I found that reading the Greek works, and reading more in general, had helped me immensely with this issue.
>>
>>7843018
Think this is a super common one
>>
File: 1428368147958.jpg (38 KB, 377x377) Image search: [Google]
1428368147958.jpg
38 KB, 377x377
>>7842987
>"Dub-liner"
>>
>>7843041
>tfw you adopt a posh accent for the sake of fitting in
>tfw noone suspects a thing

Sneaky
>>
>>7842987
my mans I feel u on a spiritual level.
>>
i always have a hard time with clandestine.
>>
This is why I can't discuss Russian or Greek lit with normos.
>>
>>7842970

facade and pseudo

I pronounced facade as 'Fay-Kade' and pseudo as 'Suede-Oh' until I was promptly corrected by a complete stranger.
>>
File: Laughing dubs.jpg (165 KB, 788x996) Image search: [Google]
Laughing dubs.jpg
165 KB, 788x996
>>7842987
*record scratch*

WHOOAA! DID SOMEONE SAY.. DUB?!!
>>
I pronounced "paradigm" as pare-a-dig-em when I was 17
>>
>>7843067
i did the same thing for facade when i was in elementary school. the pokemon ruby/sapphire games had just come out and Slaking used Facade.
>>
File: SMIRK2-1.jpg (245 KB, 810x990) Image search: [Google]
SMIRK2-1.jpg
245 KB, 810x990
>>7843009
loving it
>>
>>7842982
It's not Prowst?!
>>
melancholy - mel-ANC-oly
archive - ar-chive (ch, not k)
>>
>>7843082
it's 'proost' but the 'oo' sound is much shorter than in English 'tooth' or the like. It has a bit of a 'u' in 'but' edge to it. The r is kind of rolled as well.
>>
>>7843093
>mel-ANC-oly
That is a fucking crime desu
>>
>>7843093
im not following.
do you mean like melon-solly?
because if that's a hard C it's correct
>>
>>7842970
>Yfw when you tell her 'modern' is not even close to a synonym for 'contemporaneously'
>>
File: what are you doing.jpg (719 KB, 1183x1200) Image search: [Google]
what are you doing.jpg
719 KB, 1183x1200
I used to pronounce /lit/ as "lit" and used as "you-st"
>>
>>7843101
He means that he was placing the stress on the second syllable. Like in e-MOH-tion-al
>>
>>7843107
>your face when when you repeat the word word
>>
>>7843111
ahhh.
mel ankh olly
>>
>>7843108

>not saying "lit"

huh?

what do you say? L - I - T ?
>>
>>7843108
i always pronounce used and youst, but i am from the southern US.

"used to" becomes "yousta"
>>
I pronounce the t's at the end of syllables which apparently people in Canada and the US don't do. As in 'what' having a hard t not a d sound, or the last syllable in Toronto being 'toe'. I don't do this on purpose but people comment on it sometimes. No idea where it comes from.
>>
>>7843126
I have no idea what this means how it's different from how it's supposed to be pronounced
>>
>>7843129
People just omit 't's. Either they sound like a 'd' or they just disappear more or less. Like 'different' sounds more like differend or even differenn. I pronounce it with a t sound and a tiny exhale
>>
>>7842970
i still sometimes say omnipotent as omni-potent
>>
>>7842970
No but I used to think that "Foucault's Pendulum" was written by Michel Foucault and my highschool philosophy teacher corrected me.
>>
>>7843133
you're saying you sound like a fag
>>
>>7843137
yea same. i thought it was "Pendulum" by Foucault. I still probably mispronounce Foucault.
>>
>>7843140
...foo-KOH
>>
>>7843138
I just sometimes have people ask me what my accent is even though I grew up in the same place as them. it's barely noticeable except on some words
>>
>>7843133
Yeah i know what you're saying. I'm in Michigan and often T sounds in the middle or ends of words are dropped

>city=ciddy
>county=cownee
And so on.

Toronto is definitely Toronno
>>
File: 1455478408725.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1455478408725.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
In my German class, I accidentally said Scheißt der Ball instead of Schießt der Ball.
>>
File: 1408396974532.jpg (33 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1408396974532.jpg
33 KB, 358x358
>>7843166
>mfw Michigan accent
>>
File: 345.gif (1 MB, 250x141) Image search: [Google]
345.gif
1 MB, 250x141
>Particulully
>Particulerly
>Particulaly
>Parti-culurly
>>
I used to pronounce the word chivalrous 'shiv-all-rus' so that the word rhymed with walrus
>>
>>7843219
>Spessific
>Pessificallulily
>>
File: when_the_fam_smh_just_lmao.png (19 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
when_the_fam_smh_just_lmao.png
19 KB, 557x605
>>7843244
>pacifically
>>
>>7843233
yeh but we don't know how you say walrus, plus in my accent they do rhyme.
>>
>equating modern with contemporaneous

what kind of people are you around op? are you one of them? disgusting.
>>
pasketti
>>
>>7843269
It's a girl who I have a crush on. I could write 10,000 words in this thread right now about my feelings towards her.
>>
>>7843113
oopsididdly.
Mildly smug i'm not fluent in using memes
>>
>>7842970
>"The architectural style is similar to Piet Mondrian's artwork who was working modern with the architects."
>"Centralized systems are more indicated for workshops where there are a lot of working bays with a lot of operators working Modern."
>"Working modern, African-American leaders such as W.E.B Du Bois and Alain Locke recognized the importance of art in engendering a positive perception of black culture."
Why do we even teach female children to read?
>>
>>7842979
This feel

Fuck the Brits and this bullshit
>>
>>7843284
>I could write 10,000 words in this thread right now about my feelings towards her.
things that won't happen: the post
>>
>>7843219
>orator
>o-RATE-or
>o-ray-TOR
>O-rat-or
>O-rate-or

Fuck this word, fuck Demosthenes, fuck Cato, fuck Cicero
>>
>>7843284
i hope at least a few dozen of them are about how her vocabulary usage is sub-par and how much it disgusts you.
>>
>>7843344
She is actually very intelligent for her age and in the context of our conversation I both mispronounced and misused a word where "modern" would have made more sense. I said something to the effect of "in terms of modern standards....". Nothing about her disgusts me besides how much of an emotional and instinctive effect she has on me, and how much power she therefore holds over me. I try my best not to make it obvious how much of an effect she does have over me, but at times I feel like screaming and sobbing and rubbing my face all over her shoes.
>>
>>7842970
>What I said
Prowst

>Who corrected me
My friend whose mom is an English prof

>What I said
Caymuss

>Who Corrected Me
My dad, who read The Stranger in college
>>
File: worry.jpg (10 KB, 193x245) Image search: [Google]
worry.jpg
10 KB, 193x245
>>7843365
>very intelligent for her age
what is she, fucking 12 or something? you don't use this phrase for adults.

>Nothing about her disgusts me besides how much of an emotional and instinctive effect she has on me, and how much power she therefore holds over me
>>
>>7843040
Its literally pinchin though
>>
>>7843371
I wish I had literary parents, or parents who at least saw the value in books when I was younger. I was raised by an alpha, art-is-bullshit father and a stupid, submissive bitter mother. I wish I had been raised in Oslo by a father who worked in the linguistics department of the university and a mother who worked as a part-time librarian. In virtual reality this is the life I will choose to live.
>>
It's Pynch-ON.

You can even hear him say it in the Inherent Vice promo video.
>>
Actually, my bad, he doesn't say it in that, they say it in The Simpsons, and they wouldn't say his name wrong when he's doing voice acting for them.
>>
>>7843377
She's seventeen. She's very well read. She is the kind of girl who always gets top grades and is on top of everything and well organized and mature but secretly depressed in a way that seems to both fuel her academic abilities and prevent her from experiencing genuine happiness.
>>
>>7843397
9,847 to go, sperglord
>>
>>7843383
>wish i was raised by cuck in Oslo amongst Somalis and Arabs
Lol dude
>>
I'm french. When I was little I went to live for a while in the UK where I went to an english school. I integrated with my fellows the bongs and all went well until I had to do a one on one presentation about a subject in front of a teacher. It was a kind of oral preparation but at the time I spoke fluently so no problemo.

>Me: "So then I have an idea and write it on a shit with my pen"
>"you what?"
>"I write the idea on a shit of paper"
>"right"

>Me: "I was on vacation and I went to the bitch"
>"you went to the bitch"
>"yes and me and my brother made a huge sandcastle on the bitch"

>"the problem is for people in a war piss seems impossible and for people in poss war seems impossible"

Remember I was nine so of course my opinions were miss universe tier. But my accent never got better.
>>
>>7843365
Yo kiddo, take deep breath and try to think about the situation objectively. You said something sort of embarassing in front of her, so what? If the same thing had happened with one of your friends, you wouldn't have even remembered it the next day. If you are constantly clamming up around her because you are worried about saying the wrong thing... well you aren't going to be very fun to hang around, are you?

I posted >>7842889 earlier, and it reminded me of you. Do not put pussy on a pedestal, just be yourself around her and don't get all weird. If she doesn't like the real you, then you saved yourself a lot of heartache by finding that out early on.
>>
>>7843408
We first met at a charity store where I sometimes go to buy books and to try on clothes if nobody is watching. I was squatting to see the books on the lower shelves and wearing black denim jeans which are a little too tight and strangely tailored but which I wear because the other three pairs of black denim jeans I own, one purchased from a Goodwill store in the area I previously lived, are also poorly proportioned in some way that make me averse to wear them. I was also wearing a black and white plaid shirt with a white tshirt underneath which I had tucked into my belted waist, with the shirt untucked (I have it tucked most of the time, as I appreciate the Donnie Darko-aesthetic for males, which is somewhat aristocratic looking or at least formal in a way which isn't square, and if I were a girl I think I'd feel very attracted to boys ((I'd call them boys even if they were men, perhaps, as the word implies a romantic interest or that the individual is a potential romantic interesting, which "guys" and "men" don't seem to do in my perspective at least)) who looked like Donnie Darko ((Conor Oberst and even Sufjan Stevens looks somewhat similar and are in the same category of 'boys' I imagine I'd be horny for and attracted to) and my hair longish since it needed cutting but I kept convincing myself that it wasn't quite long enough to warrant cutting yet plus I'm very specific about how I like to my hair to look after a cut (I'm very specific about things associated with my life, and in elementary school my mom once asked for a private appointment with a hairdresser who made mean comments subtly expressed about how I demanded a private appointment rather than waiting with other people, since one of the previous times I'd had my hair cut around that time I had experienced what was in common parlance a "breakdown" and tried ripping my hair out in the smaller downstairs bathroom while screaming crying) and I was also wearing a brown jacket which my father had purchased and which I sometimes feel makes me look like a preppy kind of guy though the comfiness and now-worn appearance of the jacket compensates for any anxieties I have regarding its appearance and the way others perceive me as a direct consequence of said appearance and I was holding a backpack over one shoulder which was pretty much empty besides a bunch of receipts and pieces of plastic and paper etc and the books were mostly the type of books you find in a charity store and to be open and frank and honest when I did see a book I recognized but had already read or had no intention to read despite recognizing it as a book perhaps worth reading and belonging to a tier of literature I respect I made something of a point, as though acting for a camera filming my existence for an audience who were closely observing and judging my character from without, of removing the book from the shelf and reading the synopsis or just tilting it towards me a little
>>
When I was younger Id use words and phrases out of context/incorrectly

Thats far worse than mispronouncing imo
>>
>>7843365
>She is actually very intelligent for her age
Humbert Humbert pls.
>>
and making subtle facial expressions and sort of performing internal, non-visible expressions of fake surprise as though impressed at seeing something "worthy" of my attention in a collection of books otherwise populated by books intended for individual perhaps less intelligent (but realistically more competent, probably, in terms of living happily, forming relationships, and so on) than myself and while reading the synopsis of The Virgin Suicides I noticed a pair of red converse all-stars in my peripheral vision (which is, in my opinion but based only on a "hunch", superior to the peripheral visions of most of my contemporaries) though I was so focused on my own internal performance (I really didn't need to buy a book at the store and was there mostly in the hope that a girl would be there, though at this point I was just focused on the moment-by-moment narrative of my own life as viewed by a non-existence other) that I did not pay any real attention to the shoes and thus body beside me and did not even imagine that the shoes were worn by and belonging to a girl who I would subsequently feel something like love for (although I realize that having never experienced anything close to mutual love between myself and a girl and having suffered loneliness and isolation and a decline in my mental health throughout my teens and early 20s I had ((have)) become perhaps incapable of feeling a genuine sense of love towards another person and even if so have lost or never gained the capacity to express this love in a healthy way which the love-object would appreciate and feel inclined to love me in return as a result of said expression) and it was only when I stood, having returned The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides, which I had read before and whose author's physical appearance I can form a pretty detailed mental image of immediately while also being able to link, internally, to various facts and individuals and objects, including the fact he had graduated from college and moved to Europe with his family in his 20s before returning to the United States and working for the National Society of Poets (or a group with a similar name and purpose) while claiming to write his debut "on the weekends" and whose name is Greek in origin and who attended the same conference in I believe Italy with David Foster Wallace and Mary Karr and Franzen, Z. Smith et al. and who featured with Wallace not only in the group photo taken during that trip but also in another photo posted on /lit/ occasionally in which the author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Woa also features and which is a book (TVS) that has been adapted onto film directed by Sophia Coppola (spelling?) who is a member of what might be described as a "cinematic dynasty" and whose sister recently directed the movie adaptation of James Franco's debut book of short stories
>>
>>7843216
I asked my German exchange what her Lieblingsleid was instead of her Lieblingslied.
>>
>>7843397
>is on top of everything
Clearly not on the only thing you care about.
>>
>>7843470
this
I used to call my mom "ironic" when she was being angry with me.
>>
>tfw your crush is a lit grad and you made a buffoon out of yourself attempting to hold a conversation with her
>>
>>7843512
For some reason I always fail to use ironic properly. I guess I don't understand it's true meaning. It's just one of those words I can't seem to wrap my head around.
>>
>>7843506
das eist doch nicht so schlimm
>>
(the name of which I forget, but I know James Franco went on to write "Actor's Anonymous" which features among other things and individuals the ghost of River Phoenix who died aged 23 outside the Viper Club in Los Angeles owned in part by Johnny Depp) and so after returning this book (the movie adaptation of which I really enjoyed by the way, partly because the 1970s-era music makes me think of my mother who is very depressive and who remembers that decade as her favorite and who listens almost exclusively to the music from that decade and routinely states that no decade produced as much good music and so on as the 1970s, which is a statement I regularly challenge which usually makes her angry) and standing (something I hate doing after squatting or sitting due to my relatively short height being quote unquote exposed to the perceptions of others, who may in the case of females ((erotically)) and males ((competitively)) viewed me as an attractive individual, and who may after my standing be compelled to laugh internally or dismiss me as an attractive person and feel somewhat hostile towards me for not being so despite appearing to be so while sitting) the girl turned and with an expression of shock at the sudden movement beside her turned and first reacted with a general, instinctive shock and then with something I perceived to be a feeling of pleasant surprise, her slightly open mouth expressing what I felt and feel convinced what would have been, had it been expressed in words, a sort of whispered "wow" or "oh my". Surprised myself by her beauty my repressive tendencies were unable to react in time and before I could urge myself to say nothing and rush away I said "oh hello" and she smiled and said "hey" and smiled with her mouth closed (perhaps compensating for it having been open, and thus associated with the idea of being a "mouth breather") but so wide and genuine that I too smiled a smile that is, I know, despite any physical flaws I may have, very attractive to the opposite sex, and which is very similar to the smile I smiled when I was a beautiful young boy, my eyelashes thick and pressed together a little and my two front teeth and nearby teeth visible as my top lip retracts over them and when I smiled this way and she smiled her way we both recognized immediately I feel that we were each each other's "type" and attracted to each other and since I am very attracted to the idea of having a wife or at least a long-term, intimate, trustworthy female romantic partner I knew that, due to also being "predisposed" (or possessing of the tendency to) invest a great deal of my time to fantasizing and imagining romantic and mostly non-sexual scenarios involving myself and the girl I am currently attracted to / crushing on I knew that this would be a girl I would spend at least a few weeks if not months daydreaming about and dating in my imagined interior world in which the quality of the dialogue and emotional impression it has on me is superior
>>
>>7843525
The definition of irony is 'your actions having the effect opposite of that which you intended'.

If you decide to start lifting weights to impress girls and the girls are turned off by your gym obsession then your actions were ironic.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
115 KB, 1920x1080
>>7843549
Yeah I understand the definition of the word I just find myself using it in the wrong context. I have no explanation for it to be honest. Maybe I'm just retarded I don't know.
>>
I was sure the correct word was "indiota" instead of "idiota" and thought everyone else was wrong or bullshitting me.
I still think everyone else is wrong by the way.
>>
I once tried to use yuroditical instead of describing someone as erudite.
>>
>>7843108
I always pronounce it as lit, same as any other board (b, mu, r9k, etc). Do you say slash lit or slash lit slash or literature or what?
>>
File: itstime.jpg (19 KB, 380x368) Image search: [Google]
itstime.jpg
19 KB, 380x368
>>7843546
>>7843499
>>7843451
>>
>>7843140
It's foocoh, but I still say fohcallt because fuck French.
>>
File: amlet.png (901 KB, 1279x665) Image search: [Google]
amlet.png
901 KB, 1279x665
>>7842982
honestly prowst is better
>>
>>7843397
>She's seventeen
Yeah, okay, alright. You lost me there. I've had it with precocious teenagers who seem smart. That's the worst fucking age. You must be 19 or something too.
>>
>>7843397
You had me till the secretly depressed part. That's her clay feet. All women are "depressed" and crazy. You'll realize this someday.
>>
>>7843523
Anyone else have tf?
>>
>>7842970
tried to say "delineated" in uni class. I'll say "defined boundaries" next time
>>
>>7843108
"hey there is this place on the internet where i can pretend to be smart"
"oh really anon, wat is it called?"
"BACKSLASH l, i, t, BACKSLASH!"
>>
"You ever read Camus?"

"Who?"

"Camus"

"Uh no..."

"Really? I can't believe you've never read Camus..."

"I've never read 'kay-muss' but I've read 'cam-ooo..."

"..."

(laughter)

End scene
>>
File: 1397110285095s.jpg (7 KB, 200x240) Image search: [Google]
1397110285095s.jpg
7 KB, 200x240
>tfw your family didn't know what "congenital" meant

They thought it meant pee-pee
>>
>>7843590
I'm 25 years old.

>>7843591
She barely ever acts depressed. Occasionally she panics and has something of a breakdown and she has been hospitalized once (at her parents' insistence) for becoming unresponsive and barely sleeping / eating etc. She always seems distant from me in a way I find both attractive and a little saddening. It's like she's competing against herself at all times and barely ever wins enough to allow her to celebrate a little by escaping her thoughts.
>>
>>7843613
Oh, so you are a pedophile. The "smart for her age" comment makes sense now.
>>
>>7843613
Well I'm glad you have someone to feel that way about. Why don't you try asking her out?
>>
>>7843642
I'm effectively a mute. I barely say more than 100 words each day, and haven't done for some years. While typing I am articulate, entertaining and profound when speaking out loud I tend to mumble, mispronounce words, stutter and say things which aren't at all funny or interesting.
>>
>>7843546
>>7843499
>>7843451
>>7843397
I hope you don't mind if I publish all this under my name.
>>
>>7842970
Had a professor pronounce Goethe "go-ith"

i cringed, saw a couple of other kids cringe. nobody said anything, though
>>
>>7843658
What do you think a guy of her dreams would look/act like?
>>
>>7843658
>>7843613
>>7843397
>>7843365

Oh. Look. Wow. The magic pixie dream dust girl meme. The magic pixie dream dust girl who's going to change op's life with her beauty and deep thoughts and old soul who just totally gets him and understands him and why he's such a fucked-up introvert.

Jesus Christ, John Green's stuff is better than this.

Just write it down and send it off to some shlock lit agent in New York and hope it eventually finds its way into the only bookshops left at O'Hare Airport under the Teen Romance section. You've actually got a decent shot as it's one of the last genre's that's still selling.

For fuck's sake.

And for the love of God find an older girl to talk to. You're 25? Half your age plus 7. It always works. Right now you're not allowed to date anyone younger than 20, do you understand? Truthfully at your age you shouldn't be going after anyone under than 21 so you can go out to the bars and have fun together.

Now for fuck's sake take this bullshit to /r9k/.
>>
>>7843689
I have considered that and her attraction towards me is largely a result of my pretending not to notice her watching me and acting in a way I believe she would feel attracted to me while she does watch me and I affect naivety towards that fact and act "cute" or "mysterious" etc. But while talking to her etc I am incapable of being anything but honest and genuine and really I think she appreciates that and responds in kind and since I pretty much long to escape my own isolation by means of communicating purely and openly with another person I do so with her though I also embellish pretty much everything I say to make myself sound more impressive and deep and experienced that I really am (I have read a great number of biographies and so on about "famous" individuals and this is one thing they all appear have in common, which is perhaps narcissism or something not too dissimilar from it) and perhaps it's only because I am insecure and afraid people will leave me but in essentially tricking her into investing in an image which isn't the true me, I feel almost at all times detached from her and sort of vaguely bored around her, as though I'm just performing, although I do sincerely enjoy learning about her and questioning her about her past and her ambitions and her opinions and preferences etc. I just feel "too far gone" at this point to ever feel happy or content or appreciative of a relationship between myself and another individual.
>>
>>7843702
it's just manic pixie dream girl, anon.

no dust
>>
Deutsch
I was in Germany at the time, I had heard the word several times there and before going there, but I opened my mouth I pronounced it as dutch, the same u as in deuce.
>>
>>7843658
>entertaining and profound
Eh
>>
File: 1425671484129.jpg (12 KB, 367x202) Image search: [Google]
1425671484129.jpg
12 KB, 367x202
>ep-a-tome
>>
>>7843658
What does that have to do with you not asking her out?
>>
>>7843365
Mate if you have to add "for her age" she's too young for you.
>>
>>7842970
>bass

First it was barse, then it was bass like in sea-bass, then eventually I overcame my retardation and settled for the most obvious way it should sound, 'base'.
>>
I use to say cuck-ide-uhs for cicadas?
Ay-ess-thetic instead of ass-thetic for aesthetic
>>
>>7842970
I once heard someone mispronounce Purdue as Per-duay, so I think you can be forgiven.
>>
I'm German and I once pronounced the word Pendant as if Hitler had invented it and not how it's supposed to be pronounced, in a French way.
>>
>>7843108
it's pronounced "lit" you faggot.
>>
File: just fucking why.jpg (101 KB, 399x388) Image search: [Google]
just fucking why.jpg
101 KB, 399x388
>>7843365
>>7843397
>but at times I feel like screaming and sobbing and rubbing my face all over her shoes
>secretly depressed in a way that seems to both fuel her academic abilities and prevent her from experiencing genuine happiness

I'm prescribing you with a 4 week course of /pol/
>>
>>7843254
Anon means a feminine rhyme, I think. Long second syllable
>>
>>7843122
I pronounce elbow as elba
>>
>>7842987

Fucking terrifying
>>
File: 1455487252560.jpg (23 KB, 251x189) Image search: [Google]
1455487252560.jpg
23 KB, 251x189
>>7842970
>Don Kwicks-oat
>>
The Dark Era of the Universe will pass,
any idea pertaining to humanity will be just an afterthought,
Everything that ever existed will unexist,

Before me and my friend stop arguing whether it is ther-mop-uh-lee or ther-moe-pie-lay. I prefer the latter.
>>
For the longest time, I would say conductive when I meant conducive.
>>
>>7844291

Don Key-Oat-E, right?

This shit scares me and i'm too afraid to ask
>>
>>7844292
>ther-moe-pie-lay

Why are you alive?
>>
My mum had to tell me it's pronounced TARN-hoiser, not TAN-howser. At least she's cultured enough to know.
>>
>>7842970
>Not knowing the difference between the two.
She is a pleb OP. You have lost nothing.
>>
>>7844322
It means the hot gates, if you break the word in half like hot gates, it is thermo, then pylae. pylae is pronounced like pylon because they have the same root word AND they mean the same thing.
>>
>>7844345
English plebs pronounce Greek words as though they were English words, using trochees (THER-mo PIE-lay)

Meanwhile patricians who know what they're doing realize that Greek favored dactyls (her-ROD-a-tus; thoo-CY-di-dez, uh-reh-STOPH-uh-nez)
>>
>>7843607
The 'u' in Camus' isn't pronounced as 'oo' tho.
>>
>trying to transcribe pronunciation with crude syllables that don't read the same in every accent

The IPA exists for a reason, niggers.
>>
>>7844313
Not even close. Remember the J is pronounced as H, so Donkey Hott.
>>
>>7844291
>>7844313
It's pronounced 'Don key-khoh-te'.
>>
>>7843600
That's a forward slash.
>>
>>7843607
I didn't know how to pronounce it until I heard it in a Joanna Newsom song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB23K9tT1JU

I don't hang out with people who read so I've never had to say it out loud.
>>
>>7844275
This is the justification that literally every cradle robbing man has used since the dawn of time.
>>
>say bourgeoisie
>someone says the r is silent
>>
>>7843107
This thank you. OPs qt crush is a moron.
>>
>>7842987
this can't be real
>>
Yesterday morning I was talking about the split between Orthodoxy and Catholicism with my priest and I pronounced 'schism' with a hard c. I've never heard it said out loud before so I'm not too broken up about it tbqh.
>>
>>7844492
Should called them out on their bougeoisie education
>>
>>7844531
most people do
only the clergy always pronounces it with hard c
>>
>>7844544
without*
>>
>>7844531
They're both acceptable
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/schism
>>
>>7844492
It isn't.
>>
>>7844544
>>7844548
Oh, good to know.
>>
File: Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg (23 KB, 257x264) Image search: [Google]
Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg
23 KB, 257x264
>>7842970

I have more trouble with film.

>want to talk about "Jan Svankmajer"
>try to say s and v and the same time followed by "ank-mage-er
>want to talk about Georges Melies
>pronounce it "George's me lies"
>>
Sartre
Anything with an ae
>>
>hi do you have Borgeys Fickionays?
>>
>>7844439
Holy fuck, you are ALL wrong.
Spanish speaker here, it's: Don Key-HO-te (Ho, like HOHOHO, like Santa Claus)
>>
>>7844792
>>7844792
This. But make the H hard as fuck
>>
>>7842970
This girl I know says Wiki like WEE-Kee
and rhetoric like rhetORic
it's cute
>>
>>7844874
...what?
How is wiki pronounced then?
>>
>>7844887
like a bostonian saying wicked
>>
>>7844874
shes right
>>
>>7844890
I'm not from the US and English is not my first language. How the fuck am I supposed to know how a "Bostonian" says wicked. The only reference I have in mind of someone saying wicked is from the Harry Potter films.
Also I'm pretty sure it's wee-kee-pee-deeah
>>
>>7843057
>too much time of 4chin
>see memes inside of words
>>
>>7843097
this is a perfect explanation to someone who speaks french but would make no sense otherwise.
>>
>>7844981
wihkey
>>
>>7842970
I work in an English speaking country, but English is not my native language so it happens, most of the people will just correct you and roll with it.
>>
File: 5grLdBx.jpg (23 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
5grLdBx.jpg
23 KB, 512x512
>>7844501
I'm American... I had never heard Dubliner pronounced before.
>>
>>7843317
it's to troll americans
the bantz in incorporated into the language
>>
>>7845030
had you heard of dublin?
>>
>>7845030
okay.

but you know the city in Ireland? it's just that plus "er", like someone from New York is a New Yorker. they're not a New Yorkeeeer or something.
>>
Did OP kill himself or something? I enjoyed the confessional, even if it was a weird hybrid of Neon, Molly Bloom, and John Green.
>>
A few days ago I found out Americans pronounce 'respite' as 'res-pit' instead of the sensical British way, 'res-piyt'

I'm American.
>>
>>7845056
i did not know this
>>
it was around the time of my 18th birthday when I learned that the word that people vocalize as "suttle" was the same word "subtle" that I'd been reading in print all my life.

I got that they were both synonyms for "understated," I just never realized they were the same word. so I said "subtle" in conversation for the first time and guess how I pronounced it?

luckily it was to a close friend, not to a group or in class or anything. he busted on me hard, though.
>>
>>7842970
Constantly and everything. I'm dyslexic so just reading the words with the letters ordered properly is hard, much less replicating them verbally.
>>
>>7844586
physically ill m8
>>
kept saying whilst to americans
apparently they don't use it
also don't use cunt around them either
>>
File: 1458419393864.jpg (33 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
1458419393864.jpg
33 KB, 615x410
one girl at work was trying to say 'aldous huxley' but pronounced it ALOO-DUS
she was hot so it was hard not to laugh in her face. I was polite but she obviously felt stupid, rightly so
>>
File: KattWilliams.jpg (16 KB, 280x233) Image search: [Google]
KattWilliams.jpg
16 KB, 280x233
OP, it depends on the setting. If youre getting anxious around people because you want to use certain words you're not sure of, you probably have a disorder or are hanging around some pretentious assholes, perhaps a historic re-enactment community.
>>
>>7844291
>don cayootee ;DD
>>
>>7842970
Tfw have a relatively expansive vocabulary and can be very eloquent in immediate digital communication but don't know how most words beyond everyday words are actually pronounced because of social reclusion for the past decade, my cousin pointed out to me last Christmas that 'drought' wasn't pronounced 'draught'
>>
File: 1458759867479.png (8 KB, 570x533) Image search: [Google]
1458759867479.png
8 KB, 570x533
>>7842987
>Dub-liner
>>
>>7843216
Still wrong though. It is „Schießt den Ball".
>>
>>7844492
It's normally Americans that do this and it's infuriating
>>
>>7842970
Shos-TAK-o-Vich
Should be shosta-ko-vich
>>
>>7843035
>>>reddit
>>
>>7845851
Drop the R I mean
>>
File: occupy slave girl.jpg (161 KB, 900x1216) Image search: [Google]
occupy slave girl.jpg
161 KB, 900x1216
>Goethe

>"Go eth"
>>
One time I said Desocrates instead of Descartes
No one seemed to notice and I felt even more alone
>>
>>7845862
the fuck is she protesting?
>>
i once said 'persephone' as PER-SEA-PHONE
>>
compare-able
>>
>>7842987
you could have just pretended you were doing a crazy Irish accent

I still don't know how lambasted is pronounced.

also I pronounced awry aww-ree for a while when I was younger.
>>
>>7842987
> bury me ten feet under.tga
>>
File: dank.jpg (32 KB, 567x642) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
32 KB, 567x642
>>7843636
>a 25 year old dating a 17 year old is a pedophile
>>
>>7843613
>she has been hospitalized once (at her parents' insistence) for becoming unresponsive and barely sleeping / eating etc
Okay so she's crazy.
We've all flirted with sub 18 year old girls man, don't actually fall in love with them though.
>>
The first word I remember screwing up was "oh-né" for "one." It was the name of a PS uno game I had at the time. Thank agnostics I was but a kid and not the lit buff of today.
>>
>>7842970

i said "lingerie" as "lin ger ee" until i was 17 and i had to play off saying it infront of friends as a joke
>>
>>7845958
now THIS is autism
>>
I once pronounced "Danube" as dan-ew-BAY in front of an Austrian
>>
>>7846025
Why would he care he'd call it 'Donau' anyway
>>
i thought earnest meant the same thing as endearing
i pronounced pynchon pinecone
i thought complacent meant content
>>
>>7843023
they did but they only mocked you after you'd left
>>
>>7842970
My middle school history teacher said "modren" instead of "modern."
>>
>>7842970

I used to pronounce "Gauge" like "Gouge" for a long time. English is not my first language and i really never had the opportunity to listen it around; just supposed it sounded like that.

Once in middle school i mistook sadism for masochism. In front of a girl that was kind of a /lit/ buff. The face she gave me that day...

On elementary school my spanish teacher wrote "Payazo", instead of doing it with "s".
I knew, but i didn't say a thing; i didn't care.
>>
>>7843166
more like Trono
>>
File: 1456482162030.jpg (158 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1456482162030.jpg
158 KB, 1280x1280
>>7843523
>lit grad
>smart
>>
File: tumblr_lzvoto9LSD1rpf270o1_400.jpg (33 KB, 250x276) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lzvoto9LSD1rpf270o1_400.jpg
33 KB, 250x276
>>7845987
>"lin ger ee"
kek, that's how Shaneene said it
>>
>>7846435
>Once in middle school i mistook sadism for masochism. In front of a girl that was kind of a /lit/ buff. The face she gave me that day...

you were discussing S&M--with a freaking GIRL--when you were 12 or 13? jesus, europe really is different…
>>
>>7842970

My friend has been using the word droll to mean dull for years just because they sound the same. I can't bring myself to correct his illiterate ass.
>>
File: 0RAKEy.gif (1 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
0RAKEy.gif
1 MB, 360x270
>>7842987

>dub-liner
>last two digits are 87
>he's not even irish

baka
>>
>>7842987
>>7846989
FORE!
>>
>>7843412
becoming 18 by 1999, I mean.
>>
>>7843499
>and who attended the same conference in I believe Italy with David Foster Wallace and Mary Karr and Franzen, Z. Smith et al. and who featured with Wallace not only in the group photo taken during that trip but also in another photo posted on /lit/ occasionally in which the author of The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Woa also features and which is a book (TVS) that has been adapted onto film directed by Sophia Coppola (spelling?) who is a member of what might be described as a "cinematic dynasty" and whose sister recently directed the movie adaptation of James Franco's debut book of short stories
rather interesting thanks
>>
>>7843546
kolsti?
>>
>>7845987
how the fuck is it pronounced?
>>
>>7847618
lawn-zher-ray
>>
>>7844792
i get it because don key
>>
>>7843040
But, you pronounced his name correctly.
>>
>>7842987
I always pronounced it dub-liner don't worry
>>
>>7842979
told my history teacher i 'splooged' on a shopping trip instead of splurged. It was in front of some student, he just laughed and corrected me.

It was incredibly embarrassing.
>>
itt: ipa illiterate fucks
>>
File: borges-jorge-luis.jpg (290 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
borges-jorge-luis.jpg
290 KB, 1024x768
>tfw native language is basically unmispronounceable
thank you based castille for oppressing all them catalans and tugas
>>
>>7849075
ghorj lewiss borgees
>>
>>7849084
*Horhay Lwis Borhays
>>
File: Cirno might be a genius.jpg (205 KB, 1003x527) Image search: [Google]
Cirno might be a genius.jpg
205 KB, 1003x527
Cirno pronounced as 'Sir-no' instead of 'Churn-o'.
>>
>>7845875
She doesn't know, that's the point.
>>
>>7843332
It's 'aw-rah-tor'.
>>
>>7845862
It's not unusual for it to get anglicised to Girth
>>
>>7842970
At first, I thought faux was pronounced as "fox" and Descartes as "des-cart-es"
>>
>>7843702
>>7843636

As long as it's legal I think it should be at the discretion of the involved parties.

I think similarity in age was more heavily enforced by earlier generations because most people followed a very traditional educational pattern: high school to 18, college from 18 to 22, professional life onward. Today that structure is very jumbled. Additionally, our parents (Baby Boomers) had a significant age gap with their parents. There's also a lot to consider in the matter of approval of friends and family and the community.

There's definitely a line but I don't really think it's fair to label someone with a word specifically used to identify criminals when they are obeying the law.
>>
File: 00393_stingraysamba_2560x1600.jpg (406 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
00393_stingraysamba_2560x1600.jpg
406 KB, 2560x1600
>>7843613
How tall are you?
>>
I thought discipline was pronounced like disciple. Fuck that's confusing.
>>
>>7849482
ah, the age old question.
>>
>>7850058
...well then...
>>
>>7850081
6'1

300pounds
>>
File: doitamigo.jpg (133 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
doitamigo.jpg
133 KB, 1280x1024
>>7850084
>>
>>7850094
wtf
>>
File: Zalmoxes_shqiperorum.jpg (406 KB, 1889x1000) Image search: [Google]
Zalmoxes_shqiperorum.jpg
406 KB, 1889x1000
I was on a palaeontological dig in Romania the summer just passed. I found a Zalmoxes vertebra in the bank of a river and shouted to my colleagues: "Guys, I've found a vertebrae!" accidentally pluralising. Most embarrassing moment of my entire life
>>
File: 1455951434133.png (1 KB, 145x147) Image search: [Google]
1455951434133.png
1 KB, 145x147
>>7850190
>>7850112

https://youtu.be/nmuvX7rnefM?t=55s
>>
File: u wot m8.png (401 KB, 665x494) Image search: [Google]
u wot m8.png
401 KB, 665x494
>>7850195
?
>>
>>7844867
People from South America (or some parts of Southern Spain) will say it with a soft H, like "HO HO HO". The rest of Spain does indeed pronounce it with a strong H, like in "Loch Ness".
>>
>>7850190
HAHA, you absolute bleedin pleb
>>
File: alex-jones-o.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
alex-jones-o.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>7850195
>>
File: 1449851592657.gif (979 KB, 245x337) Image search: [Google]
1449851592657.gif
979 KB, 245x337
Not quite what you're asking but . . .

The head of the department at the school where I teach English pronounces indefatigably "in-de-fa-TEEG-ably". I tried to politely inform her of the correct pronunciation, but she insisted she was right, and I ended up just letting it go. I just hope she looked into it afterwards and is too embarrassed to tell me I was right, but I sincerely doubt it.
>>
I just realized yesterday that banal was bah-nal and not bain-al
>>
>>7844450
Really! I never knew how to pronounce it until I heard it in a Magnetic Fields song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVEhNHIzJec&ab_channel=carollunachick

1:32
>>
>>7843383
>tfw two relatively young english major parents
>dad always corrected my grammar and read to me

feels good my dudes
>>
>>7850334

>skipppy

....YYELOOw
>>
>>7849847
never considered that. that is confusing.
>>
>>7848254
>>7843380
It's pronounced pinecone
>>
>>7850293
there's something terribly sad and banal about that.
>>
>>7843607
but it's cam-ee
>>
>in educational development class
>professor says "puberty" as "poo-brr-ty"
>everyone giggles
>>
>>7850405
>>7848254
>>7843384
>>7843380
>>7843040
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcYXWfGt7DY&ab_channel=TomMay

It's Pin-shawn
>>
>>7850468
sounded more like "pinch on" to me
>>
When I was little I pronounced ambivalent as ambi-vay-lent and being publicly corrected caused me to become obsessed with pronunciation, to the point where I won't use a word until I've looked up its etymology and pronunciation

I'm taking an art history unit for fun and the prof keeps on pronunciation protagonist as 'pro-tadge-onist' and I just don't get it.
>>
>>7842970
i gave a speech in fromt of my entire highschool once and in the speech i had a line that said "all the time" and i emded up saying "all the teem"
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.