[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a valid reason to use one of these in 2016?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: il_fullxfull.2283478601.jpg (113 KB, 1191x869) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.2283478601.jpg
113 KB, 1191x869
Is there a valid reason to use one of these in 2016?
>>
Is there a valid reason to do anything at all?
>>
File: CJE9Z_FUwAAwQ2d.jpg (19 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
CJE9Z_FUwAAwQ2d.jpg
19 KB, 480x480
>>7842641
>>
>>7842636
Enjoyment.

Taking a strictly 'practical' approach to life leeches all the joy right out of it.
>>
>>7842641
according to Camus, yes
>>
>>7842660
No there isn't.
>>
>>7842664
according to Camus, there is
>>
>>7842669
Camus might have meant something, before he died in a car crash and meant nothing.
>>
>>7842674
if dead people don't mean anything i guess you are on /lit/ to only read alive people books? You poor soul.
>>
>>7842636
1. if it helps you write
2. power outage
3. writing actual letters
4. more personal
5. better than cherry brown switches
6. writing creepy unibooboo manifesto
>>
>>7842636
qts will see you as le authentic writer and therefore let you do sex towards them
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 400x562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 400x562
>>7842636
Is there s valid reason to use one of these in 2016?
>>
Most laptops don't have mechanical keys.
>>
>>7842681
Doesn't this assume that the act of reading creates meaning?
>>
>>7842636
I used one for several months because you're unable to go back and correct your writing. The typewriter forces you to think carefully before you type a single character, and I thought that might help me as a writer. There's also no opportunity for procrastination like on a computer, but you still get to keep the QWERTY keyboard interface.

Ultimately it's inconvenient though. Changing ink ribbons, cleaning the inside, carrying it around (some of the big ones are very heavy), and the noise of typing, which can be disturbing to others late at night, are all drawbacks. It also doesn't help that the typewriter is seen as a symbol of hipster contrarianism rather than a tool like a pen or a pencil. I tried very hard to keep my typewriter out of the sight from my roommates, I told virtually nobody I had bought one, I kept it in its case when I wasn't using it, and yet I still had to field constant and irritating questions about why couldn't I be normal and use a computer like everybody else.
>>
>>7842660
Stop spreading this meme
>>
>>7842636
It's fun. People like being happy! Sometimes people even find ways to be happy that aren't being a pompous judgemental prick. Ya shit
>>
>>7843893
The ironing in this post. It's like pottery.
>>
The aesthetic. People stll use candles when they can use bulbs
>>
>>7843880
Is the "backspace" key ruining literature?
>>
>>7842652

Hey mate that's a good way to be, good on ya
>>
Memeing on the first day of class
>>
>>7843880
holy shit just get a digital typewriter
>>
The guy who everyone made fun of for using a typewriter in a public park had an actually good reason

He was writing quick things for money, and a typewriter was superior to laptop/printer/power supply
>>
Highly classified materials sometimes get written on these so they aren't in a database, so if you aren't running your own governmental spy agency then no.
>>
>>7842684
>1)
how?
>2)
possible. Most writers probably can't afford a generator.
>3)
you know, this is the same argument that people used to use when these things came out
>writing actual letters
>writing not typing
kek
>4) more personal
see response to 3)
>5)
I'm not sure what that actually means
>6)
newspaper + glue = a whole different level of unibooboo.
>>
>>7842636
no internet to distract you from work
>>
Why does /lit/ get so sensitive about typewriters. I doubt too many people do use them and if so why should you care if they are getting things done slightly less efficiently
>>
>>7844673
when you press the key of your computer keyboard, it (most likely) pushes down a rubber dome with a little conductor that translates to the data of the keypress. cherry browns are a type of keyswitch that does the same thing, which are very nice, and (if I remember my keyswitch specifications correctly -I haven't been on /g/ in a while) are abhorrently loud
>>
>>7842636
Why not for the old school feel
Then just scan the paper and use an ocr app
>>
>>7842652
>tfw I enjoy practicality
>>
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/russia-reverts-paper-nsa-leaks
>>
>>7845342
I have to pay for these peoples' welfare.
>>
>>7843913
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7844673
>I'm not sure what that actually means
Dumbass
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.