[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
e-readers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: 5052936803_4dd93614fb_z.jpg (158 KB, 640x481) Image search: [Google]
5052936803_4dd93614fb_z.jpg
158 KB, 640x481
Tell us everything you know about e-readers and lets find out what the most versatile models are.
>>
I just read on my phone using any reading app and whatever screen shading app.
Can't be assed to hoard books or spend money on an e-reader.
>>
>>7842376
Actual e readers are supposed to be less tiring to the eyes.
>>
What the heck is the third thing in the bottom row?
>>
>>7842339
>most versatile models are
Calibre renders this argument moot.

I have an old kindle with the flip screen buttons, and its incredibly well made, ive had it more 6-7 years and it still works great.
>>
It's still the Paperwhite, stop making these shitty threads and buy it already.
>>
My old BQ just croaked. What is a cheap ereader that lets me install my own dictionaries? Or that has a lot of preinstalled ones (I read in Spanish, Catalan, English and German).
>>
>>7842339
New Kindle Touch (2014) is excellent, I got mine a month ago. Fast, has Goodreads support, dictionaries, word look-ups, infra-red touch screen (so you can use it with gloves), a shitload of fonts to choose. Money well spent, though I wish the pdf support was a bit better (columns).
>>
>>7842381
Yeah, "supposed to".
This is 2016 and a lot of people look at screens for like 8 hours per day.
If you don't fall for the so-i-already stare at displays for 8 hours per workday so in my time "off" i want to stare into this particular slab of ideology-meme I don't see a problem
>>
>>7842631
It sounds like you've never used an e reader m8.
I used to think like this but then I got one and was impressed.
Sounds like you are a cheap fuck who doesn't care much about literature tb h
>>
The only e-reader I found locally is the Kindle, should I go for it?
>>
>>7842632
>cheap fuck
But ereaders are way more cost-efficient than physical books
>>
I have a paperwhite, I don't use it that often (my backlog is a huge mess so I try my best to finish the books on my shelf first) but it's a pretty good product. The timer makes me stressed though, always makes me feel I'm too slow.
>>
>>7842339
I just bought a Kobo Glo HD and have read one book on it so far. It's pretty nice and will be great for travel (which I do frequently because of my job).

>>7842381
I use computers at work most of the day, and I spend a lot of my time at home on a computer (3 monitors) and either I don't get the same tiredness of the eyes, or I'm just used to it.

>>7842655
I've never used a Kindle, though my parents have at least one and they really like it. I don't think you can go wrong with Kindle or Kobo really. When I was looking into which one to go with, I kept seeing people say there were more books in the Kindle store and they were generally cheaper than the same books in the Kobo store. So far I have found that everything I checked on both was the same price. Most of the books I have loaded onto mine weren't from either store though, so it's not really much of an issue anyway.
>>
inb4 kobo shills
>>
who is us
>>
>>7842988
better than kindle senpai
>>
The master race of e-readers:

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-DPTS1/
>>
File: IMAG0181.jpg (1 MB, 1824x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0181.jpg
1 MB, 1824x3264
I just got a Kobo I bought used from ebay. Read one book already and honestly it feels good reading on it. It's nicer to hold than a book when lying down.
Going to read this one next, then some nice Plato.
>>
>>7843715
I'm glad to see Belloc getting more play on /lit/, his philosophy and history jives well with the current direction of 4chan reactionary thought.
>>
>>7843731
It's just the two of us lad so far, we need to shill harder
>>
>>7843673
>http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-DPTS1/
>pdf only
so much effort to end up being a pdf reader, disgusting.
>>
I'm not trying to be autistic or anything, but this sort of stuff belongs on /g/. Not only do threads like these slide literature discussion off the board, but you'll get much better discussion about e-readers on /g/ because people their know/care more about technology than we do.

Polite sage
>>
>>7843891
I know what you are saying but I still feel this belongs on /lit/ also, since the sole purpose of these devices is to read.
>>
i might by a google pixel c, or i might just keep using my iphone cuz ibooks is rad as shit especially with "night shift" on ios 9.3
>>
>>7843891
this argument is garbage. e-readers are used exclusively for literature, and /g/ doesnt give a shit about anything except linux kernels and lifehacking their boring tech jobs so that they can play more LoL. If you asked about it over there the responses would be 1. Anti Amazon for reasons 2. A couple of shitters saying reading is a waste of time 3. a completely irrelevant discussion about tech specifications that have no bearing on the reading experience.
>>
Kobo aura hd here

Any reason to sideload new fonts? Love caecilia already
>>
Enjoy your backdoors and invasions of privacy tracking everything you read and for how long.
>>
>>7843841
>use calibre to convert to PDF
>end of problem
>>
>>7844700
who cares dude its just books
>>
>>7844834
You know, there's a reason the word "cuck" became the fasted growing meme of all time
>>
>>7842533
you mean the 2015? I got that also a month ago. Pretty good so far. I miss the home bottom though.
>>
I got the latest paperwhite recently and it's been great. 300 ppi display looks really nice and makes the fonts look crisp.
>>
>>7842381
have low power usage
>>
File: bump.jpg (42 KB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
42 KB, 350x197
>>7844700
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.