[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /independentscholar/ here? I'm reading The Independent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1435362774201.png (25 KB, 628x561) Image search: [Google]
1435362774201.png
25 KB, 628x561
Who /independentscholar/ here?

I'm reading The Independent Scholar's Handbook and seriously rethinking how I'll lead 2016.

I'm planning on writing articles since they're more palatable and looked for. What are your experiences with independent research?
>>
I'm working my way through mortimer Adler recommended reading. His how to read a book changed my life.

I'll check out independent scholar
>>
>peer reviews
>>
Good luck.

I think you're delusional though.

Whatever keeps you NEETs and wagecucks from killing yourselves I guess...
>>
More like /hack/
>>
>>7842600
I'm a earth sciences graduate, you fuck.

I want to write articles on humanities, though.
>>
>>7842326
I am one, though I don't publish yet, just do conference papers.

I think it's pretty fun. Not really any pressure, but you have to already have some wealth unless you're ready to compete like crazy for non-university grants.

The hardest part is being able to access other research without an academic library available to you. Alumni can't inter library loan at mine, so I have to pay to do it at a public one. All it's done is drive me to buy more books, which isn't really that bad a drawback.

I'm not quite sure I'm what you meant by independent scholar, since I do have an advanced degree in my field. I just don't think professorship is for me. At least, not right now.
>>
Independent meaning?
>>
>>7843189
Not affiliated with a university/research institution.
>>
>>7843189
independent=unemployed, unemployable
scholar=pedantic jackass
>>
>>7842629
>earth sciences
Yeah, no education
>>
>>7843237
Independent scholars are employed outside of academia.
>>
>>7843243
Okay so you're a cashier at Target also
>>
whats the point of it? research has meaning only in academia where the main voices can be heard outside of it.

if one wants to get the knowledge for oneself great, but giving it the name of academia being outside of it is like those vegetarians who eat fake meat.

if you are against it it is pointless to fake it, just do your shit on ur own; and if you are outside it and want into it do the required stuff to get into it or just be frustrated.
>>
>>7843249
I wouldn't be able to afford all the conference attendance if I were.
>>
independent research is fine OP.
>>
File: research.jpg (196 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
research.jpg
196 KB, 1000x750
>>
>>7843249
this thread seems to have triggered pajeet
>>
>>7844691
Hey brother, what are the dates on each of these.

Indeoendent scholaring seems like an older concept from when people did not have almost equal oppurtunities and it was possible for talented folk to not go to university
>>
>>7844691
>I'm going to teach myself how to teach myself!
Uhh...
>>
>work in uni library
>tfw all the indep scholars who come in are total fucking bros
>tfw they're all serious as shit and remind me of what i thought real scholars were like, in some distant naive memory of what i thought university would be like
>>
>>7842326
is the idea that you would like to do this 5 hours a week, but not 60? i guess i respect that, but coming from somebody who does it 60 hours a week, it's hard to understand why you'd care about publishing the normal way
if i didn't have to make money i'd just put shit up on a blog
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.