[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What of her books should I read first? I'd like to at least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Ayn-Rand-9451526-1-402.jpg (61 KB, 402x402) Image search: [Google]
Ayn-Rand-9451526-1-402.jpg
61 KB, 402x402
What of her books should I read first? I'd like to at least understand her philosophy, even if I don't agree with it. Also, general Ayn Rand thread.
>>
objectivism=follow your self-interests.
flaws: following your self-interests without regard to the others around you turns you into a complete and utter sociopath, paving way for corporate systems of control (where power ia amassed and control by the few, making it oligarchical). it also creates a competitive system where everyone is beating the shit out of each other to get to the top, completely disregarding a cooperative system where people work together to accomplish goals and aims.
these are but a few glaring issues with her philosophy.
she was an evil evil woman.
>>
>>7841713
Define evil.

>>7841700
Don't judge a book by shit opinions of people online. Try the Fountainhead. If you can handle a large book try Atlas Shrugged.
>>
>>7841700
fountainhead first
>>
>>7841700
Anthem first, I think.
>>
Anthem, is short but worth the fast read.
>>
>>7841700
>>7841746
>>7841753
>>7841782
>>7841793
retards of the arthurian round.
>>
>>7841799
did you even read the fucking OP?

>I'd like to at least understand her philosophy, even if I don't understand it

Don't call my a retard, especially not for wanting to learn more about a philosopher, even one I disagree with.
>>
>>7841700
Its shit literature and even worse philosophy, but she's worth reading due to her outsize impact in the American mentality.
>>
>>7841700
I can only recommend the fountainhead.

I've read most of her books, and I think everything other than the fountainhead is poorly written and simply boring. The anthem is awful and would be terrible for your purposes since you don't really get a good grasp of her philosophy from that book alone. Atlas shrugged is just simply awful.
>>
>>7841826
You'd be better off reading Mein Kampf.
>>
>>7841799
You're the idiot here.
>>
I just picked up The Fountainhead because it's supposed to be her best work
I kind of want to read all of her shit since it's so popular but I'm not going to go out of my way unless I end up really liking it
I'm expecting to hate it, but I've never read anything by her so I don't really know.

Maybe if I think of it as satirical it will be alright, I mean Atlas Shrugged is basically about what's happening in America today except the top 1% decide to fuck off to an island somewhere and create a private utopia that's somewhat like modern Dubai
And the whole world loses its shit and starts falling apart without rich people living nearby because apparently that's just how life works.
It literally sounds like something a completely non-Self Aware thing some ultra right wing Republican Rothschild type person would say.
>>
>>7841860
>And the whole world loses its shit and starts falling apart without rich people living nearby because apparently that's just how life works.
It's called propaganda. And it's why Rand is taught in high schools all across America.
>>
>>7841861
I always thought it was odd about everyone reading Ayn Rand in their junior year.
>>
Wait for Zack Snyder's "The Fountainhead" adaptation.
>>
>>7841860
>Maybe if I think of it as satirical
This is how I read Atlas Shrugged mostly, it was honestly hilarious.
>>
File: Two Novels.jpg (125 KB, 864x936) Image search: [Google]
Two Novels.jpg
125 KB, 864x936
>>7841700
I'd recommend Anthem first. It's short and concise, and less rage inducing.

And concerning Rand, well, pic related.
>>
>>7841969
the sad thing is is that it isn't satirical at all.
>>
>>7841992
Oh yes, thats the worst part, and I really couldn't avoid it at certain times, like at Galt's fucking speech, why the fuck did she ever think it was a good idea for it to go for so long.
>>
File: lit rules.png (57 KB, 1005x438) Image search: [Google]
lit rules.png
57 KB, 1005x438
>>7841700
>>
>>7841700
The Fountainhead is definitely worth a read. I wouldn't bother with Atlas Shrugged or even Anthem when you could instead just read about the philosophy. The Fountainhead is justification for the philosophy, and afterward you should read just the philosophy. John Galt's speech from Atlas Shrugged is a pretty good way to understand the philosophy, if I remember correctly, and she has some more codified material here and there. If you really want to get into it, Leonard Peikoff's Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand is really straightforward.

It's pretty interesting as far as philosophy goes because it tries to create a complete system for living your life by building up from basic "axioms." If you disagree with any single building block, you can disagree with the philosophy as a whole, and there are definitely some suspect parts.
>>
>>7841860
that's exactly what it is. you can imagine why they worship her on /pol/
>>
>>7841861
>>7841869
Really?
I switched to online school after 7th grade in its infancy and basically didn't do any of my work and they never caught on because they didn't have their shit together at all
Then I got a GED and an age waiver and went to college
They really make you read that shit?
No wonder all the pretensions kids I knew had read her
>>
>>7842003
nICE meme mememan
>/lit/ - Literature

All literature discussion is welcome, however fan-fic is not allowed.
>>
I read an article once that said The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and Anthem form a trilogy
With things building up I'm Fountainhead, coming to fruition in Atlas, and then inevitably falling apart and turning into apocalypse by Anthem
The place they all go Galt's Gulch or whatever is revised in Anthem as a ruined little alcove

It kind of makes it seem like it's a doomed philosophy disguised as one that's benevolent.

BTW
No wonder we have so many retarded conservatives with warped GOP views if kids get brainwashed with this shit in Junior Year
Seriously, why would they make you read a massive book like this?
You could cram like 6 important novels into the time it would take to get through it
>>
>>7841700
Fountainhead is okay, her books are mostly advertisements for her objectivism school. In my opinion objectivism has some good points in its teachings but objectivism alone is counter productive in real life. Ayn Rand sees the world in black and white just like Karl Marx and Hitler, and this is why objectivism, like communism will never achieve its end goal.
>>
I just read Anthem, it was pretty good. Are all her books as upfront as Anthem regarding their message?
>>
>>7841700
Do yourself a huge favour and don't read any of her works. I'm serious - don't do it.
>>
can anybody recommend systematic discussions and refutations of objectivism? Whenever I read threads like this I get autistically upset that everyone dismisses it because of platitudes like
>>7842228
It makes everyone seem intellectually dishonest when really I like to assume you've all read about Rand's philosophy and also come up with reasonable ways to refute it
>>
>>7842078
/pol/ hates her, even they can see how she made up a whole philosophy to justify her selfish existence
>>
I D E O L O G Y
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.