[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
finally finished this book I didn't get it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
finally finished this book

I didn't get it
>>
>>7841554
das coz ur dumb lol
>>
>>7841554
There's not much to "get" besides vague ideas of how the earliest philosophers thought about the world they inhabited.

Right now this is largely a stepping stone for you to get into Plato. Maybe later you can return to these guys and maybe glean more from them.
>>
Why would you want to read Sophist drivel? The real philosophers all started off by destroying the sophists and then getting to the point
>>
>>7841751
what do i start on plato with?
>>
>>7841810
Start with the trial and execution of Socrates, which will be the first four dialogues in most collections of Plato (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo). After that it's up to you; everything in Plato has at least some value, but some dialogues are undeniably more valuable than others.

Shop around a bit and get a taste of the different branches of philosophy which Plato effectively founded: ethics, epistemology, metaphysics, etc. Try at least one dialogue from each field if you're not going to read all of Plato. Metaphysics, for example, is a field whose purpose you won't even understand unless you try actually reading some metaphysics.

And of course read Republic.
>>
>>7841843
thank you. but do you have any tips for gleaming knowledge from them? or is jsut supposed to come to me?. also should i read the my usual pace(it's somwwhat quick) or slowly?
>>
>>7841810

>>7841843
>Start with the trial and execution of Socrates, which will be the first four dialogues in most collections of Plato (Euthyphro, Apology, Crito, Phaedo).

This, then "The Republic" and after that, Timaeus.

reCAPTCHA: Seriously? That is like a reverse tricycle, the seat being over the one wheel and not the two.
>>
>>7841933
take notes, read slowly, vecome comfortable with the fact you wont understand everything.

good luck
>>
>>7841933
As >>7841961 said, slow down and take notes. You will almost certainly not be at your typical reading speed for fiction; Platonic metaphysics has gotten me down to 7-8 pages per hour before, although most dialogues don't read quite that slowly.

Personally I underline/bracket/take margin notes as I read, then upon finishing I flip back to the beginning and jot down a summary based on my textual notes, which usually manage to provide me with the main string(s) of the dialogue. Kind of like creating your own spark notes.

This is especially useful since you probably want to revisit the dialogues you read (something I would definitely recommend), and having your own summaries to glance at is a hell of a lot easier than rereading entire dialogues.
>>
bamp
>>
>>7841751
>There's not much to "get"
parmenides and heraclitus solved philosophy before it even started compadronito
>>
>>7843071
explain yourself
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.