[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /lit/ think about it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 830.jpg (53 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
830.jpg
53 KB, 299x475
what does /lit/ think about it?
>>
masterpiece
>>
Great fun. A bit dated in the VR sequences, otherwise it's fantastic.
>>
>>7840314
If anything, the VR sequences are too far ahead.
>>
it had less of his trademark superior didactic sneer than you find in his later works

> cryptonomicon
> none of you ignorant fucks know what modulo is
> here's a simple bicycle metaphor to explain it
> god you are all so fucking stupid
>>
>>7840358
>it had less of his trademark superior didactic sneer than you find in his later works

I thought it was really effective in explaining all the arcana for non-techies.

I didn't feel like I was being talked down to at all.

Cryptonomicon > Baroque Cycle > Anathem > Seveneves > Snow Crash >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Reamde
>>
>>7840383
>I didn't feel like I was being talked down to at all.

read his essay "In the beginning was the command line", and then look at your collection of power tools, and feel ashamed.
>>
>>7840295
Honestly there were some pretty dumb parts but overall it was really entertaining.
>>
Better cyberpunk than the massively overrated Gibson. Good fun. Fuckable teen hottie. Bit dated, but dated is kinda part of the fun for the genre
>>
>>7840295
I just read this book for the first time two weeks ago. As soon as I found out the main characters name, I knew I was going to love this book. I was not disappointed. I honestly think that this book has one of the best first chapters to any book 8ve ever read.

Yeah, there's some goofy parts here and there, but overall, this is a fun fucking book.
>>
>>7840295
It works as both a satire of cyberpunk and a good cyberpunk book at the same time, which I like very much. As others have said, it's a huge amount of fun.

I think it's the best cyberpunk book I've ever read. Though that may be damning it with faint praise, as it doesn't have a lot of competition that I've come across.
>>
I really enjoyed the Freezone short story in Mirrorshades, how are the other works by John Shirley ? His Song called Youth serie sounds interesting.
>>
>>7840295
Some people find it entertaining, and that's completely fine.
I personally couldn't enjoy it because of trash characters, mediocre prose and the looming image of reddit over the whole novel.
>>
Love it. Stephenson is like a better Pynchon to me. Similar, but he writes for the reader, not the academy.
>>
>>7842470
youre confusing snow crash by neal stephenson with infinite jest by david foster wallace. common error.
>>
>>7842474
I have vowed never to read the Infinite Jest, for real. I don't give a fuck about it. I have never read a comment about what is good in it anywhere and I've been here for ages.
>>
>>7842486
patrician
>>
I really, really wanted to fuck YT.
>>
File: 5803218.jpg (138 KB, 724x1118) Image search: [Google]
5803218.jpg
138 KB, 724x1118
>>7842505
>He would willingly get his dick stung by a teen vagina
>>
File: Witraz.jpg (259 KB, 752x1063) Image search: [Google]
Witraz.jpg
259 KB, 752x1063
I'm thinking of reading Seveneves. Has anybody had the chance yet? I've never read any Stephenson because from what I hear his best are somewhat outdated now.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.