[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it safe to say that Alexander Pope's translation of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (10 KB, 420x350) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10 KB, 420x350
Is it safe to say that Alexander Pope's translation of the Iliad and Odessey is best, definitive, patrician, and /lit/ approved?
>>
I haven't seen much support for it on here, people say it's a "pretty poem but not Homer".
>>
>>7839311
Uh, have you not heard of Henry Alford?
Just wish I could find more than just his translation of Volume 1
>>
>>7839317
>"pretty poem but not Homer"
Then what according to you is Homer?
>inb4 Fagles
Please no.
>>
>>7839396

Please don't reply to people if you're not going to read their post. It's a single sentence.
>>
>>7839436
Please don't reply to people if you're going to be a cunt.
>>
>>7839510
>>7839436
you both suck
>>
Fagles
>>
I thought we decided that the best and most patrician is the one that's closest to Homer himself, and that that one is Rodney Merrill's.
>>
Lattimore
>>
Anyway, the only Patrician way to read Homer is in Greek.
>>
>>7839311
What's the best abridged version of the Iliad? The style and the constant digressions are annoying the fuck out of me, but I would really like to know the story.
>>
>>7839580
>reading for the plot
>>
>>7839580
Try the plot synopsis on Wikipedia.
>>
>>7839311
>translation
>patrician
>>
File: ajsg.jpg (4 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
ajsg.jpg
4 KB, 192x192
>>7839311
Why does he look like filthy frank.
>>
>>7839535
Tell me more about this. How is it better than Pope or Lattimore or Fitzgerald?
>>
>>7839546
Seconded for Lattimore.
>>
>Translations
>>
>>7839813
Follows the original meter better than the others.
>>
>>7839311
It is undoubtedly the best version of Homer in English, but it probably shouldn't be your first reading.

Read Lattimore or Fitzgerald to get a better sense of the Greek, then read Pope for pleasure.
>>
>>7840532
Pope's original poems are a lot better
>>
>>7840540
Yeah, Pope is a great poet in his own right. That's always good when looking for a translation of poetry.
>>
Fagles is the best, stop trying to be a hipster.
>>
>>7839550
This is actually true. But otherwise, yeah, Fagels. If you've read it in Greek then you'll know Fagles is the only one who even attempts to approximate dat feel.
>>
I have a penguin (which I selected due to it's pretty cover) version translated by 'Martin Hammond' and although I haven't read any other translations I was pleasently surprised by it, as someone who has studies ancient Greek for more than 4 years I can confirm that it feels very 'Greek-ish'.

but like most other anons said; it doesn't really matter tat much, a translation is a translation, doesn't mean it's less worth it to read it anyways.
>>
Given that reading is often re-reading, might as well read all the translations.
Start with Lattimore (Bloom approved), Fagles then Pope(ye).
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.