[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>if you are immune to boredom, there is literally nothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: images (31).jpg (17 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
images (31).jpg
17 KB, 470x313
>if you are immune to boredom, there is literally nothing you cannot accomplish

Words of wisdom?
>>
No, David Foster Wallace, the closest thing we had to a modern philosopher, never said anything wise.
>>
>>7838929
You seem to be answering a question that hasn't been asked
>>
>>7838949
>Smart people hit a target better than everyone else. Genius hits a target nobody else can see.
>>
>if you are immune to boredom, you can easily finish Infinite Jest
>>
>>7838955
What other targets do you hit that nobody else can see?
>>
>>7838958
lol
>>
here's my 1000000 page novel that you have to read twice to get, deal w it

oh you're not reading git?

ok fine, i'll right a novel about how to concentrate and focus on stuff so you can do it, brb

ah fuck it, this is gay
>>
>>7838921
This american "literally nothing you cannot accomplish"-shit is the stupidest shit ever. I mean... where the fuck should i start? I remember Jon Stewart talking about "all can be in the top 1%" but the very definition of being in the top 1% means that there's 99% unlike you. Humans lives in structures that largely defines you. This american anti-structuralist view with bullshit definition of freedom and no structural restrains...
>>
File: nofunallowed.jpg (89 KB, 488x516) Image search: [Google]
nofunallowed.jpg
89 KB, 488x516
>>7838987
>>
>>7838921
In what way do you mean 'immune'?

If you are incapable of experiencing boredom, wouldn't you just end up procrastinating all the time because inspiring activity wouldn't be significantly more appealing than pointless inactivity?

Isn't an absence of boredom an indulgence in inertia?
>>
>>7838958
David Foster Wallace on suicide watcj
>>
>>7839041
Potentially, but now no task is beyond your consideration.

You could say that 'an indulgence in inertia' may be otherwise alternatively worded as friction-less work.

The claim is not that an immunity to boredom makes one more efficient, but that rather no amount of fine detail that pervades any great work will drive you away.
>>
>>7838929
I disagree. As cliche as it is now, his "This is Water" speech had practical wisdom in it. Personal heroism. Private triumphs. Any philosopher tells you that the dross of life is the fertile ground of adversity.
>>
>>7839104
I was being sarcastic...?
>>
File: watcj.jpg (86 KB, 464x274) Image search: [Google]
watcj.jpg
86 KB, 464x274
>>7839053
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.