[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the aftermath of the explosions in Brussels i would like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 250x201) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 250x201
In the aftermath of the explosions in Brussels i would like to read a belgian book as a act of solidarity .

Any recommendations ?
>>
I'd guess the Koran is the most widely read book in Belgium based on passing through there.
>>
>>7838919
Tintin
>>
>>7838923
Do you have a clue what respect is ?
>>
>>7838925
Sorry.

I actually thought it was a really beautiful country, just being a jackass at 5 AM.
>>
Jean-François Thiriart
>>
Belgium has some great "weird" fiction - check out Jean Ray, two stories of his collected in VanderMeer's The Weird

A very interesting book about Belgian history is King Leopold's Ghost
>>
File: the eternal joke.jpg (115 KB, 800x378) Image search: [Google]
the eternal joke.jpg
115 KB, 800x378
>>7838924
Tintin
>>
>>7838960
Based
>>
Start a syrian book
But wait they don't matter as mcuh
>>
tfw your brussels sprouts explode
>>
read some henri michaux op
>>
/pol/ is always right ;^)
>>
>>7838969
>>>reddit
>>
>>7838919
Actual Belgian here.

Dimitri Verhulst is a nice Belgian writer i know his book "De helaasheid der dingen" was translated and you can probably find it (in English it's called "The misfortunates").

It's cynical, funny as hell, pessimistic and poetic. There's a film adaptation as well, which was good. (By the director of The Broken Circle Breakdown, if you happen to know that film.)

I hear Tom Lanoye's works are also translated, he does modern adaptation of Medea, Shakespeare, Chekov...

If you want anything more /lit/ i suppose you could read "The Sorrow of Belgium" by Hugo Claus.

But really, Dimitri Verhulst will be nice little dip into the Belgian pool.

To the other anons
>thinking the Quran is widespread here
>thinking there are more muslims in Brussels than in any other large western city
>tfw live in a city where 91% of the inhabitants has no roots in immigration
>tfw probably scoring better then you guys in "purity of inhabitants
>unless you're a slav.
>>
>>7838960
WHO'S HOPING NOW
>>
>>7838992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrYi4kYc-fA
Oh and the trailer for the misfortunates, to get an idea of what it's about.
>>
>>7838988
>>>Not being so fucking clichéd
>>
>>7838994
>book trailers
hope there are more bombs in store 4u 2day tbph
let it fall
>>
>>7838994
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxmOj62OGLg
>not posting the superior dutch trailer because of muh subtitles

Nice job promoting Belgium fellow bel-anon.
>>
>>7838999
>Do you have a clue what respect is ?
>>7838993
>>7838980
>>7838969
>>7838933
>>7838925
>>7838923
>>
>>7838999
It's a film trailer, as an example.
Are you really this stupid or are you just arab?
>>
>>7838992
Also Belgian, would also recommend Verhulst.
The Sorrow of Belgium is a /lit/ as it gets here but I don't think its a book that non-Belgians can easily appreciate.
>>
>>7839004
yeah i am sure belgium is degenerate enough to warrant the suggestion to "let it fall"
you're Belgian or/and you're cucked?
>>
thanks merkel
>>
>>7838919
> would like to read a book out of solidarity .
>Any recommendations ?
Yes. "How to Properly Bait People in Four Easy Steps"
>>
>>7838992
Seconding De Helaasheid Der Dingen, though I'm not sure the translation is good.
>>
I think this will only make for some moderately clickable clickbait thinkpieces for content farms
>>
>>7839024
Yeah, i have strong suspicions against the translation as well...

>tfw you can't find a way to translate "De helaasheid der dingen" into English
>tfw translators just made it "The Misfortunates".
Nice fucking job idiots.
>>
Cheese by Willem Elsschot is a good book.
>>
>>7839035
Something along the lines of 'the pity of it all' is the best I can come up with. But the whole book is hard to translate.
>>
File: index.jpg (13 KB, 218x231) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
13 KB, 218x231
>>7839003
>>
>>7839052
>what 17 year old American virgins think "fun" is
>>
>>7839061

brussels sprouts pls go and explode
>>
>>7839076
Een Post Met Pisseblommen
>>
>>7838925
>>7839003
>>7839061
unless you endorse the solution (and there only is one and we all know what it is) then don't grandstand and play the solidarity card
>>
>>7839127
what is your solution ?
>>
>>7839127

My internet posts will stop muslim terrorism!
>>
>>7839130
Control borders, return to European traditional values, so Christianity and natural law as well as respect of national identity as opposed to Orwellian progressive EU and the new values it's pushing so hard.
>>
>>7839141
>Control borders
too late
>>
>>7839141
>return to European traditional values

Yes, that hodgepodge of languages, histories, and ethnicities has one set of overlapping traditional values, one that you can *totally* return to.

Americans should stop posting.
>>
>>7839141
Any solutions that aren't impossible, or are you just adding another voice to a sea of unreasonable requests?
>>
>>7839146
the dissolving of the EU and mass deportations
appeals to muh tradition are silly I'll agree
>>
>>7838919
Lol... this is a completely meaningless act of moral posturing and has no purpose other than making you feel better about yourself.

Congratulations for being absolutely banal.
>>
>>7839145
Europe did have a common identity, as said, mainly in Christianity and natural law philosophy, so overlapping enlightenment and some other theorists.
>>7839146
It's possible, just not probable, at least not right now.
>>7839147
EU is either going to dissolve or swallow up sovereignty of European countries, that's clear enough and I'd prefer to live in my own country governed by at least partially our people.
>>7839143
Consider how many Muslims are on their way there's still plenty of time.
>>
>>7839141
>return to European traditional values

Unless you want to travel in time back to the 17th century this is impossible.
>>
>>7839141
You mean deporting all non-Europeans?
>>
>>7839153
>Consider how many Muslims are on their way there's still plenty of time.
yeah and considering how many are already here it's futile
>>
>>7839153
>Europe did have a common identity, as said, mainly in Christianity and natural law philosophy, so overlapping enlightenment and some other theorists.
???

One generation ago protestants and catholics were at each others' throats, my grandparents marrying a protestant would have been inconceivable! How is that a common identity? Then you have all the other religions and churches - all these wonky orthodox, all these splits under protestants, you're really merging a huge heterogenous thing into one Matsch for the sake of your stupid /pol/ tier "argument"

And nice list of buzzwords there
>>
I'm tired of turning on the television and hearing every commentator delivering platitudes shielding the status quo from criticism.

Everyone too afraid of being called a racist to speak clearly about the problem and solution is absent of moral courage and an excuse for a man.
>>
>>7839173
check out this little pearl
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/22/response-brussels-bombings-patience-restraint
>>
>>7838925
Respect would be not blowing up the country that feeds you, houses you, gave you refuge, and gives you everything.
>>
pol pls away pls!
>>
>>7839154
>Unless you want to travel in time back to the 17th century this is impossible.
Implausible, not impossible, but yes, as I've said I'm certainly not expecting it to happen soon, first we would need some dramatic events like a new world war or something.
>>7839157
No, it's completely ok for everyone to stay really as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a /pol/fag racial purity type of guy.
>>7839160
Futile because we abort our children and let 1-2 live maybe before we divorce to lead meaningless trivial lives and obsess about gay rights*
>>7839165
>
>One generation ago protestants and catholics were at each others' throats, my grandparents marrying a protestant would have been inconceivable! How is that a common identity?
And yet you could still go from one country to another and all the cultures were similar. And I'm not going to pretend protestantism wasn't a mistake. I'm from ex Habsburg Monarchy and that was even with all the tension a unified country spirituality and culturally.
>Then you have all the other religions and churches - all these wonky orthodox, all these splits under protestants, you're really merging a huge heterogenous thing into one Matsch for the sake of your stupid /pol/ tier "argument"
And the tensions have lessened and you can now see how more unified they are.
>And nice list of buzzwords there
I like your list too.
>>
>>7839201
I'm not saying the borders shouldn't be closed, rather that it's the equivalent of putting a bandage on a festering infected wound
>>
>>7839208
Indeed. The change can't be a superficial one and would require large changes in the mindset of people.
>>
>>7839177
>No amount of police work or surveillance, no deployment of armies or navies, let alone of missiles or nuclear weapons, can guard against them.
He's right when he says this. The security apparatus necessary to stop these attacks would be enormous and extremely intrusive.

>What is not stupid is seeking to alleviate, or not aggravate, the rage that gives rise to acts of terror, and then to diminish the potency of the incident itself.
Of course this solution is laughable and reeks of zero world experience.

The actual way to stop these attacks is to deport the alien populations from which the terrorists are extracted and banning them from entry. You can have freedom and security, or you can have a police state and an open society.
>>
File: 1450111312729.jpg (83 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
1450111312729.jpg
83 KB, 500x579
>>7839201
>>
>>7839218
I particularly like Ratzinger, Belloc, Hayek and Aquinas and of course Plato and Aristotle.
>>
>>7839218
I've given up on that anon, Americans shouldn't be allowed to write about Europe, they have no clue.
>>
>>7839229
You know I'm not American?
People in Europe often have different opinions. Strangely enough the European Union was founded with the idea of common identity in that which I've spoken about, you can read it in the founding documents (12 starts being the crown of Mary or so I've read), and human rights documents from 1946.
>>
>>7838919
Georges Simenon - Dirty Snow
>>
We eurabia now senpai
>>
>>7839141
>return to European traditional values, so Christianity and natural law as well as respect of national identity
...and constantly fighting each other, presumably?
>>
>>7839251
Hopefully not this time.
>>
>>7839234
You have the opinions and the "knowledge" of an American, and since this is an anonymous board, I assume you're an American since your posts are retarded.

Funny enough the EU started as an economic community, but you wouldn't know that.
>>
File: crocs-belgium-tweet.jpg (93 KB, 1920x1067) Image search: [Google]
crocs-belgium-tweet.jpg
93 KB, 1920x1067
>>
Anything by Willem Elsschot.
>>
>>7839256
>You have the opinions and the "knowledge" of an American, and since this is an anonymous board, I assume you're an American since your posts are retarded.
You have the knowledge of a random progressive so I also assume you are retarded.
>Funny enough the EU started as an economic community, but you wouldn't know that.
I'm aware of it since believe it or not I studied a lot of EU legislation for multiple subjects, but mostly constitutional, family and financial law.
The fact that I don't exactly feel like writing essays on everything for 4chan doesn't mean much.
>>
>>7839259
That response is as American as the other Amercan ones >>7839267
itt
>>
>>7839269
>everyone who disagrees with me on European history, identity and politics is an american
>>
>>7839274
Thanks Obama
>>
>>7839177
don't piss off the peaceful muslims or they'll blow up and kill you and it'll be your fault. Because they are a peaceful people and you shouldn't have pissed them off.
>>
>>7839259
Damn, they've done it again...
>>
>>7839141
Not possible anymore. Half of Europe doesn't believe in God.
>>
>>7839335
Let it fall
>>
>>7839335
More than half. But as it changed once it can change again.
>>
>>7839335
You don't have to believe in God to kill muslims, which is the real solution.
>>
>>7839399
I never thought this until the last few months, but we need to exterminate the muslims
>>
>>7839441
Nah, just convert them or have them abide the local customs.
>>
Read Mein Kampf
>>
>>7839441
How would we do that?
>>
>>7839474
I don't think we should exterminate muslims but you know full well it's doable
>>
>>7839141
Americans really are a sorry lot.
>>
/pol/ here
I'm going to leave this board with a very important message: cuck
>>
>>7840437
Do us a favor and never come back.
>>
>>7840420
And leftist in general. I mean this can largely be found in writings of pope Benedict, I don't suppose he's an american?
>>7840484
/lit/ is so easy to trigger. I don't actually think we get visitors from /pol/ and role playing one will get you 5+ responses.
>>
>>7838919
Elsschot.
>>
File: 1357970754409.jpg (28 KB, 369x368) Image search: [Google]
1357970754409.jpg
28 KB, 369x368
>>7839241

>Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

H-how? And I thought Vollmann and Asimov were prolific.
>>
File: 1423596067770.jpg (55 KB, 666x960) Image search: [Google]
1423596067770.jpg
55 KB, 666x960
>>
>>7838925
Do you have a clue what 4chan is?
>>
>>7838924
only Belgian books I ever read. Dope though
>>
File: 5.gif (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
5.gif
2 MB, 400x400
>>7839141
Meh.
>Control borders
Deport Muslims, minimize immigration.
>Return to European traditional values
Honour European culture, history, and tradition. Stress the importance of the family. Encourage nationalism.
>Christianity
It should be shown as the religion of our ancestors and as an important part of our history. However, it's not a religion which will allow for nationalism, isolationism, and elitism.
>Natural law
>National identity
Agreed.
>>
>>7842191
>Deport Muslims, minimize immigration.
There is no need to deport them as is. It's more related to Europeans not having children.
>Honour European culture, history, and tradition. Stress the importance of the family. Encourage nationalism.
I hate nationalism. Love for one's country shouldn't be an ideology.
>It should be shown as the religion of our ancestors and as an important part of our history. However, it's not a religion which will allow for nationalism, isolationism, and elitism.
No, we should follow it because it is true.
>>
File: SJJ1ceY.gif (424 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
SJJ1ceY.gif
424 KB, 400x400
>>7842197
>There is no need to deport them as is. It's more related to Europeans not having children.
Islam is a cancer on the world. Cancers are cut out. At the very least, Islam should not be lauded as the "religion of peace."

>I hate nationalism. Love for one's country shouldn't be an ideology.
Without nationalism, a country becomes weak. I am not speaking of nationalism as an "ideology," but as an element of people's daily lives.

>No, we should follow it because it is true.
I can't argue with someone whose worldview is firmly rooted in the Christian faith. Let's agree to disagree.
>>
>>7838925
YOU'RE FUCKING A WHITE MALE
>>
The best Belgian writers are Willem Elsschot and Hugo Claus but I don't know about the translations
>>
>>7838925

>respect
>4chan

Pick one
>>
>>7842221
>as an element of people's daily lives
as in patriotism?

>>7842197
>we should follow it because it is true
you're not better than any muslim
>>
>>7839259
Based crocs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPFiiF44W4

you are missing out on this guy.
>>
I'll recommend Stijn Streuvels, but I highly doubt you'll find any of his (large amount of) novels translated into English.

Louis Paul Boon's work is also consistently very good. According to Wikipedia, De Kapellekensbaan has been translated into English (Chapel Road), so try that out.
>>
>>7838960
Assuming this image is set in Arabia (and a path with sand), those guys are praying the wrong way since they're supposed to be praying south, and from the shadows you can tell that they're praying towards the east and it's obviously around midday, when they should be praying towards either west, north or south.

Just saying.
>>
>>7842701
*part, not path. Whoops.

And ignore the last sentence, I basically repeated myself with which direction they should be praying.
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.