[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>that moment when you realize that your reading backlog is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1458617962866.jpg (321 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1458617962866.jpg
321 KB, 960x1280
>that moment when you realize that your reading backlog is longer than your life
>>
File: 1458001621311.jpg (164 KB, 2500x2131) Image search: [Google]
1458001621311.jpg
164 KB, 2500x2131
>that moment when you realize your recent crap log is longer than your wife's
>>
>>7838282
lowbrow humor for nonintellectuals. you're poisoning the gene pool. off yourself.
>>
>poopoo tumor for doggosexxuals. yer pissinin gene's pool, faff yusef
>>
im horny
>>
>>7838292
Just like Joyce and Pynchon
>>
>just like pynchin off jouycey fartz
>>
It's no surprise that Russian literature has frequently reflected themes of misery, suffering, sadness and torment because Russia, and its Soviet Union incarnation, has been racked by turmoil for generation after generation. Despite Czarist misrule, the Napoleonic War, the Crimean War, two World Wars, the Bolshevik Revolution, the brutal Civil War, the Stalinist repression and the poverty, Russia has produced some of the greatest writers to ever put pen to paper. Many of them suffered like the characters in their works.

Their understanding of pain and suffering goes way beyond the physical and many books show how families, lovers and entire cultures can fall apart when pressure is applied by external forces. Everyone needs to experience Russian literature at some time. Can you call yourself well read without having completed books by Leo Tolstoy, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Nikolai Gogol, Boris Pasternak and Alexander Solzhenitsyn?

From Ivan Denisovich and Doctor Zhivago to Anna Karenina and Ivan Ilyich, journey through murder and betrayal, illness and mental anguish, Siberian labor camps and cities under siege. And each one of them is a remarkable book.
>>
>>7838317
“The pity is the public will demand and find a moral in my book—or worse they may take it in some more serious way, and on the honor of a gentleman, there is not one single serious line in it.” The thing that makes Ulysses imposing is, in fact, not the theme but the scale upon which it is developed. It has taken Mr. Joyce seven years to write Ulysses and he has done it in seven hundred and thirty pages which are probably the most completely “written” pages to be seen in any novel since Flaubert. Not only is the anecdote expanded to its fullest possible bulk—there is an elaborate account of nearly everything done or thought by Mr. Bloom from morning to night of the day in question—but you have both the “psychological” method and the Flaubertian method of making the style suit the thing described carried several steps further than they have ever been before, so that, whereas in Flaubert you have merely the words and cadences carefully adapted to convey the specific mood or character without any attempt to identify the narrative with the stream of consciousness of the person described, and in Henry James merely the exploration of the stream of consciousness with only one vocabulary and cadence for the whole cast of moods and characters, in Joyce you have not only life from the outside described with Flaubertian virtuosity but also the consciousness of each of the characters and of each of the character’s moods made to speak in the idiom proper to it, the language it uses to itself. If Flaubert taught de Maupassant to find the adjective which would distinguish a given hackney-cab from every other hackney-cab in the world, James Joyce has prescribed that one must find the dialect which would distinguish the thoughts of a given Dubliner from those of every other Dubliner. So we have the thoughts of Mr. Bloom presented in a rapid staccato notation continually jetting out in all directions in little ideas within ideas with the flexibility and complexity of an alert and nimble mind; Mrs. Bloom’s in a long rhythmic brogue like the swell of some profound sea; Father Conmee’s in precise prose, perfectly colorless and orderly; Stephen Dedalus’s in a kaleidoscope of bright images and fragments of things remembered from books; and Gerty-Nausicaa’s half in school girl colloquialisms and half in the language of the cheap romances which have given their color to her mind. And these voices are used to record all the eddies and stagnancies of thought; though exercising a severe selection which makes the book a technical triumph, Mr. Joyce manages to give the effect of unedited human minds, drifting aimlessly along from one triviality to another, confused and diverted by memory, by sensation and by inhibition. It is, in short, perhaps the most faithful X-ray ever taken of the ordinary human consciousness.
>>
>>7838317
But I also noticed that the book's humor was more thoroughly interwoven with melancholy and a sense of mortality than ever before in Pynchon's work. Gravity's Rainbow confronts the meaning of mortality as well (or the terrifying lack of meaning in anonymous warfare), but it is more concerned with mass obliteration than it is with individual aging and loss. Mason and Dixon makes us empathize with the dailiness of the lives of its protagonists to a far greater extent than any of the previous novels: it follows a relationship between two human beings in detail over several decades, giving us a sense of both its intimacy and its tensions in a way that is unprecedented in Pynchon, for heretofore his most memorable characters have been isolatoes (to use an appropriately Melvillean word). It is not fashionable to say this in these days of High Theory in literary criticism and cultural studies, but I think it is important for the record to confess that this is the first Pynchon novel that made my eyes fill with tears (in the "Last Transit" chapters, when the aging Mason and Dixon visit each other for the last time). And I have a hunch I'm not alone.
>>
File: 1456734562721.jpg (45 KB, 768x392) Image search: [Google]
1456734562721.jpg
45 KB, 768x392
Is there enough time in a life to read every good book?
>>
>>7838457
:0
If we vote in Donald, we'll be able to read every good book.
>>
>>7838457
As long as you dont subvocalise
>>
>>7838770
are you stupid?
>>
>>7838786
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
>>
>>7838257
I was never going to make it, I've always known it. Still, I'll go on.
>>
>>7838457
roll.
I've got a bunch of books I want to read that are over 1,000 pages long.
>>
>>7839699
You're the new boss
>>
>>7838457
will you become president?
>>
>>7838257

>tfw this paradoxically leads to more rereading
otoh
>you will never run out of good stuff to read
>>
>>7838457
should I get out of bed and make something to eat
>>
>>7840308
RIP
>>
>>7840308
>Never
uhhhhh
>>
>>7838457
Will I die a virgin?
>>
File: bale.png (65 KB, 244x207) Image search: [Google]
bale.png
65 KB, 244x207
>>7840316
>>
>>7840316
Well, not that I'm surprised.
>>
>>7838457
>>838457
>>38457
>>8457
>>457
>>57
>>7
Make America great again!
>>
>>7840386
Don't shitpost in my thread, you weasel.
>>
>>7838457
Will I ever get married? :)
>>
>3000 books in my backlog

That's nothing, m8. Try having EVERY BOOK EVER WRITTEN.
>>
>>7840463
better vote trump
>>
>>7838282
How does it compare to your wife's son's?
>>
>>7838329
upvote
>>
>>7840305
>rereading
>wasting your valuable time for new reading material on something you've already read

shiggy
>>
>>7841024
'I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.'
>>
>>7838332
>Despite Czarist misrule, the Napoleonic War, the Crimean War, two World Wars, the Bolshevik Revolution, the brutal Civil War, the Stalinist repression and the poverty, Russia has produced some of the greatest writers to ever put pen to paper. Many of them suffered like the characters in their works.
not despite but because of
>>
i finished my book this morning now i don't know what to read i'm scared of starting something that sucks and i wont want to read quickly, i'm debating ovid metamorphoses, balzac lost illusions, V., ulysses, and basically everything else canonical, but i have copies of the shit listed, idont know what to do
>>
>>7838457
Is Donald Trump a shill?
>>
>>7838457
Is Lacan truly a charlatan?
>>
>>7838457
Wait, I'm being fired because Lacan IS indeed a charlatan and I shouldn't even have mentioned his name, or I'm being dismissed because Trump is a Lacanian and would not tolerate this question to begin with?
>>
>>7841149
:^)
>>
>>7841182
It typically only works for yes/no questions.
>>
>>7841132
- Conor McGregor
>>
just keep chuggin'

we can die at any moment
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.