[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your interpretation of The Great Gatsby? Is it an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
What's your interpretation of The Great Gatsby? Is it an allegorical critique of capitalism or a lambasting of the common perception of the American Dream?

To me, I view the character of Daisy as representing the very capricious and subjective American Dream while Gatsby represents the civilian who relentlessly pursues that Dream (Daisy), ultimately losing their innocence/life in the process.
>>
>>7837037
You sound like a fucking moron
>>
>>7837037
Do your own homework.
>>
>>7837037
I think it's about the tragedy of romanticism, and how the sublime, and our solipcisms, fall apart when faced with the banalities of real life.
>>
>>7837037
We aren't your homework mill. Discuss non entry level literature.
>>
>>7837063
>>7837055
>>7837043
your cynicism saddens me and yet is fucking hilarious
>>
>>7837057
this, this stood out to me the most when reading the book
>>
>>7837037
It isn't about fascism, that's for sure.
>>
>>7837259
No one said anything about fascism.
>>
>>7837306
I think he's referencing another popular novel read in high school: 1984.
>>
>>7837057
You said that awkwardly but I see what you mean
>>
okay so you want an essay written for you? Just say it's an exegetic deconstruction of interwar political and economical values whilst simultaneously being a militaristic call for revolution in order to change the banalities of the stereotypical American Dream narrative
>>
>>7837057
>banalities
david pls
>>
>>7837037
Equating innocence with life. Just.
>>
File: 1452477300339.jpg (914 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1452477300339.jpg
914 KB, 1280x720
1. american high scoiety is superficial
2. the born rich stay rich
3. the american dream exists only for the crooked
4. one way or another the crooked always pay
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.