[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did imageboards dwellers begin to realize that greentext
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: 1455268024901.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1455268024901.png
22 KB, 804x743
When did imageboards dwellers begin to realize that greentext holds a literary value ? What specific greentext story will get pinpointed as the fiest literary greentext ?
>>
>mydiarytbhfam
>>
Probably that IT one where anon works as an IT installing one program over and over to the gratitude of his coworkers.

greentexts are fun to write

>be 16
>go to Blockbuster Video Rentals with gf
>going through isles looking for movies
>co-boyfriend brings Terminator 2 up to gf saying it's a really good movie
>she says she didn't like it when she saw it last
>co-boyfriend walks away
>we "happen" to walk to the romcom department
>i pick up "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" knowing that it's her favorite movie
>[email protected]
>she screams in excitement
>co-boyfriends hear her and collectively silently sigh
>they know they've lost this one
>the 8 of us check out as she talks about how exited she is to watch it with us

>tfw got to put my head on her shoulder as the credits rolled and thought "I love you"
>>
>>7836335
Difficult to say. Greentext stories go back to way before 4chan had a consistent archival system. I'm not sure, but I think greentext as a medium even precedes 4chan.
>>
>>7836335
fuck off back to your containment board, frog faggot

>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7836353
>greentext as a medium even precedes 4chan.
Could this be true? That would be fascinating.
>>
It doesn't.
>>
File: 1455407504354.png (64 KB, 1201x347) Image search: [Google]
1455407504354.png
64 KB, 1201x347
>>7836335
I honestly really like greentext.

What would happen if someone tried to incorporate it into a serious work though?
No one would take it seriously.

Maybe if some people write some comedy stories with greentext to get people use to it, and then 10 years late it becomes normal-ish.

Then someone could try something serious with it.

It has potential t b h.
>>
File: 1457980630557.png (178 KB, 293x470) Image search: [Google]
1457980630557.png
178 KB, 293x470
>>7836335
>>
>>7836368
Praise Kek
>>
>>7836446
hehe CHAD AND STACY

normies REE XDD
>>
>>7836415
It's how you quoted emails that you replied to in the 90s (and still do).
>>
>>7836415
well 4chan's entire layout was lifted from 2chan, so presumably they've had greentext longer than this site has been up.
>>
>>7836453
Not a robot, just wanted you to know there's more beyond the outward appearance of Pepe on 4chan ;)
>>
>>7836415
Using
>
to quote goes back to newsgroups, and was later adopted to text/imageboards. It come to be used in 4chan because moot was a lazy fuck and literally copied a bunch of Japanese code to make it run. I think its entirely possible people were writing greentext-like stories well before 4chan, either in other textboards or a newsgroup. However, I know of no example of this, and I've only ever seen greentext stories used on 4chan. But obviously I never use Japanese imageboards.
>>
>>7836352
I love that one, I think he installs adobe acrobat and tries to get laid throughout
>>
>>7836453
Found the Normie. Need tendies. Reeeeeeeee
>>
>>7836415
>implying greentext is a medium
>>
All text has literary value
>>
>>7836455
That was used as a technical way of outlining the texts by order of send date, not as a way to creatively express one's idea and share them so there's no significant link there.
>>
I think greentext is amazing, it makes any story seem interesting and dramatic

>went to grocery store
>looking in the dairy section
>decided to get a gallon of milk and some butter
>went to the checkout line and paid for my groceries
>loaded them into the back of my car
>drove home and went to post on 4chan

Tell me you weren't on the edge of your seat
>>
File: image.jpg (350 KB, 2054x885) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
350 KB, 2054x885
>>
>dude what if 4chan is the new athens and we're technoplato and cyberaristotle of the 21st century here's a picture of a frog
these kinds of posts are really starting to annoy me
>>
>>7836706
That's because greentext was profusely used with epic punchlines in the end like "walk le dinosaur" so we expect these even if the greentext we're considering is replying to a serious post
>>
>>7836677
Except that's where it started. On imageboards it started as a way to quote other posts and then became something else entirely.
>>
>>7836706
>>7836728
Knees weak, arms are heavy
Mom's spaghetti
>>
>>7836453
>not knowing about kek

exoteric fuccbois go to reddit pls
>>
>>7836352
there are a couple of feels stories that somehow tear your heart to shreds within five minutes.
you'll be hard-pressed to find a short story or a poem or some shit that could hit you so hard and so quick.
but then again maybe it just hits so hard because i know that feel.
>>
>>7836442
>that part where he paces up and down the bar sweating

REAL HUMAN BEING
>>
>>7836722
4chan continues to dominate the current Internet zeitgeist and will do so for several years to come. The shitposts you see here are the forefront of cutting edge occidental culture.

You literally cannot deny the impact memes have on the way the masses think. And we control them.
>>
File: 1441812528077.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1441812528077.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>7836352
>co-boyfriend
>>
>>7836439
The reason people wouldn't take it seriously is that 4chan is the only place where the greentext medium is natural. Trying to write a book in greentext format would just be cringeworthy shit, equally as bad as those books with shakespeare plays translated into textspeak and emojis.

The closest greentext will ever come to a book is, if you think about it, TLoTiaT. The way it was written -- anonymously and collectively -- is the only way a real greentext CAN be written. It is a shitpost in novel form and I honestly think it is one of the most unique and interesting works of art this decade has produced so far.
>>
>>7836335
there's almost always a fat people stories thread on /fit/. Those are highly enjoyable greentexts.
>>
>>7836733
irrelevant truism.
language started as a way for hunter gatherers to tell each other which woolly mammoth to target, literature came later.
>>
>>7836439
>What would happen if someone tried to incorporate it into a serious work though?

It's a no-no to meme at all on anything but boards/forums. Cringey to read and hear unless they are extremely fresh memes in which case to hear them at all in the real world is alarming and immediately lets you know the speaker is 'in'.

And I don't think it's the kind of taboo analagous to something like 'writing in vernacular' in Dante's time.
>>
Someone supposedly got grant money by collecting greentexts from here
>>7836733
>>7836455
>>7836415
>>7836459
>>7836466
Misusing the quote function was only a recent thing that started on this site.
>>
>>7837238
It's not, you're starting to see more stuff originate on tumblr, that even ends up getting spread here.
>>
I'm actually just amazed that /lit/ had a more civil discussion regarding the literary merit of greentext, than most actual literature (re:genre lit)
>>
>>7838102
>:genre lit
>literature
heh
>>
There was a very strange greentext story someone posted a long time ago about a guy who went to work at a Black & Decker manufacturing plant and through series of nonsensical, dreamlike misadventures, he ended up having sex with his own mom. I know it was screencapped, I hope someone still has it. It was basically a postmodern novel in the form of a greentext.
>>
>>7838124
One day I dream of a coffee table book of greentext stories, a thick one. just print it up at cost and toss it at moot or hiro whenever anyone sites them
>>
Okay /lit/. Keep this thread alive until tonight (French time) and I'll post a dozens great /b/ and /lit/ greentext stories I pulled from a /lit/ thread which asked the same question about greentext literary relevancy. Twas a great thread.
>>
>>7838124
I vaguely remember this. I hope it's posted.
>>
>go to big chain bookstore
>pick up Mein Kampf, Lolita, and The God Delusion
>waiting in line for ages
>light up a stogie
>start loudly chatting up old ladies and families in line next to me
>thumb through the expensive knick-knacks next to the checkout, knocking several onto the floor, and repeatedly tell my fellow line-goers to “look at all this horseshit”
>complain that there are too few cashiers per customer, allege that this is the fault of “kikes”
>finally reach the checkout
>array the books so their covers are all facing up
>toss them onto the counter in a radial formation, all facing directly at the cashier, a slightly overweight girl in her early 20s
>she looks down at them and pauses, her jaw dropping in disbelief as the fuhrer himself stares back up at her
>blow smoke into her face and ask “some kind of problem, toots?”
>she coughs and nervously stutters the name of the book, as if to verify that someone could ever purchase it intentionally
>“yeah” I reply, before placing my index finger on the cover of Lolita, and leaning across to her side of the counter
>“and this one’s about a pedophile”
>her face is now wan with shock and horror
>“oh my god,” she mutters
>“God’s dead, honey”
>everyone around us goes dead silent
>pick up the books and leave without paying
>no one even calls security
>>
enough discussion POST GREENTEXTS
>>
>>7838073
I don't think so. As far as I know he just made an free for download e-book out of them
>>
>>7839758
i love this one
>>
>>7836453
Kys newfag
>>
>>7836706
GOMAD
O
M
A
D
>>
>>7839758
top kek
>>
They're a branch of esoteric, postmodern humor.

The best ones usually involve diarrhea at some point.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.