[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit. This hit me hard. It's not even one quote or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: stoner.jpg (338 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
stoner.jpg
338 KB, 2048x1536
Holy shit.

This hit me hard. It's not even one quote or one passage, it's everything. I never came this close to crying over a fucking book.

To the anon that recommended this, thank you. No irony, no sarcasm, no memes, just thank you.
>>
>>7835855

If you're looking for something similar to read - I'd go for "Augustus", I've not got round to reading it but it's also by John Williams and the general consensus is that it's even more emotional, and a better novel on the whole.
>>
DUDE
>>
>>7836396

It's not about weed at all. Stoner is the protagonist's surname.
>>
>>7836546
DUDE
>>
>>7836396
>>7836548
DUDE I'M UNEDUCATED LMAO
>>
File: stoner.jpg (339 KB, 597x1506) Image search: [Google]
stoner.jpg
339 KB, 597x1506
>>
>>7836590

>implying Edith being a turbocunt, Lomax being corrupt and Walker being a fraudolent shit was Stoner's fault

I'll give you the love affair.
>>
>>7835999
I am finishing Stoner right now and I absolutely love it. What about Butcher's Crossing? And also, Have you read his poetry?
>>
>>7836396
>>7836548
I'm glad that anons like this are around, they keep this book from going the way of IJ and Ulysses.
>>
>>7836931
About to buy Butchers Crossing from ThriftBooks. Anyone recommend? If it's anything similar to Stoner I'll love it
>>
>>7835855
I feel ya anon
Great book
Although pleb tier, there's a chapter that is in Sylvia plath's bell jar that is very much lit in a nutshell, and somewhat like stoner
Chapter 10
Check it out
>>
>>7836964
Yeah, wholeheartedly recommend it. Can't say it's similar, but you'll probably enjoy it in a different way. Also, I'm open to recommendations, I liked it so much I'm looking for something similar. The setting of 1800s america really appealed to me, with its three-building towns and windows with no glass, not to mention the general pessimistic theme of the book.
>>
finished it last week. Loved it. It's so well balanced, just a great aesthetic story.
>>
Is it just me, or is the ending death scene not depressing at all? It just seems like everything that happens after he's diagnosed with cancer is for some reason calming and slightly happy in tone compared to the rest of the book.
>>
File: 1457380461937.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457380461937.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>7837281

>what did you expect?
>what did you expect?
>what did you expect?
>>
>>7837341
Weed
>>
File: 1458588500757.jpg (58 KB, 679x578) Image search: [Google]
1458588500757.jpg
58 KB, 679x578
>>7836590
can i please get the original or better yet an empty template
>>
>>7837281
An illuminating quote from the author:

"I think he's a real hero. A lot of people who have read the novel think that Stoner had such a sad and bad life. I think he had a very good life. He had a better life than most people do, certainly. He was doing what he wanted to do, he had some feeling for what he was doing, he had some sense of the importance of the job he was doing … The important thing in the novel to me is Stoner's sense of a job … a job in the good and honourable sense of the word. His job gave him a particular kind of identity and made him what he was."
>>
>>7836951
>they keep this book from going the way of IJ and Ulysses.
are you new, is this a joke, or did you fear it actually being discussed to any nontrivial degree?
this thread happens every (other) day, reaches 20-40 posts with nothing interesting ever having been said, and dies
>I just read stoner and was really touched by it, but I also need you to tell me what I felt and thought because apparently just reading the book couldn't do that for me
>also I'm going to argue with you the whole thread over minutia so I can have the satisfaction of expressing what I think is my own distinct opinion, and I refuse to look in the archive for the last time someone posted this
this book has been discussed to any extent it ever will be on here, because anyone who can discuss literature or actually wants to talk about the book knows to stay out
so instead you get an augustus rec, some ambiguous useless mentions of feelings, a discussion of stoner's "goodness," either someone railing against edith or someone complaining about determinism, and now apparently this empty worthless picture as a signifier of god-knows-what >>7836590
>>
>>7838347
>this thread happens every (other) day, reaches 20-40 posts with nothing interesting ever having been said, and dies
That's the point, better to have Stoner relegated to threads like these instead of shitpost threads like IJ and Ulysses.
It's a good book and it doesn't deserve to be turned into some ``meme''[1].

[1] Neither do IJ or Ulysses but it's too late to save them.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.