[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im looking for a book on understanding Chaucer. Recommendations?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (276 KB, 744x827) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
276 KB, 744x827
Im looking for a book on understanding Chaucer. Recommendations?
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7835567
Godammit, not this shit again.
>>
File: VeryLol.png (401 KB, 1412x781) Image search: [Google]
VeryLol.png
401 KB, 1412x781
>>7835567
>>7835573
kek
>>
>>7835550
Do you mean understanding the author in general, as in commentary, or his language, as in middle english, or what
>>
>>7835615
In general/language

Perhaps, a companion.
>>
>>7835664
For what it's worth I've found the short english intro + glossary and endnotes in the Penguin sufficient
>>
>>7836089
PENGUIN????

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME????

FUCKING WHITE MALE

YOU ARE

A FUCKING WHITE MALE
>>
>>7836115
but
>>
>>7835550
Is english not your first language?
>>
>>7836190

What does that even have to do with anything?

OP, I recommend getting the Riverside Chaucer, 3rd ed.

It is on the original Middle English with plenty of annotations, a glossary, and an introduction. As for secondary sources, the Cambridge Companion to Chaucer, 2nd ed., should be good (it's in bookzz/libgen), and the following websites for Chaucer's ME:

https://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~chaucer/teachslf/less-0.htm
http://www.nativlang.com/middle-english/index.php
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/m/med/

I hope this helps.
>>
>>7836217
oh my god, thank you so much.

this is a great moment for me, because it's the first time /lit/ actually answered my question.
>>
>>7836230
Cheers m8.

If you see another anon asking for help with Chaucer, you should share the love too. I wish you luch with your pilgrimage towards Canterbury.

Btw, as for the Riverside Chaucer, there is a recent reprinting (2008) of the 3rd edition that is kinda expensive. If you want to get it cheaper, you can look for 1988 one, which has exactly the same content (save for a new foreword) and it's also a lot cheaper (2 quid + 2.80 more for delivery in Amazon). A good investment if you are serious about Chaucer, since it includes all the Tales, T&C, and his other works.
>>
>>7836265
Are you an english major or something?
>>
File: chaucer.png (84 KB, 461x386) Image search: [Google]
chaucer.png
84 KB, 461x386
If you're interested in monographs, I enjoyed these.
>>
>>7836326

Yes, I am.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.